DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Artificer pets a pain for DM or too overpowered?

I’m just 2 sessions into a new campaign and we are level 3 (They played 2 before I joined). Next level I will get artificer 3/rogue 1. I’m planning on getting steel defender and a homunculus to provide help actions(advantage), flanking (already voted in by group and agreed by dm) and the deflect action reaction for steel defender.
    I have 2 primary concerns. First, when I told my dm I needed tokens set up for both “pets” he seemed like he may have never dealt with this artificer combo before. Second, I’m afraid with his flanking rules this combination is going to be really OP in combat (not to mention when I add a familiar at Arcane rogue level 3).
    To me it seems like a really fun combat style to play and I know it falls within my DM’s rules and the rules in general. I just want to avoid “overwhelming” my DM with all these “pets” and I don’t want to feel like too much of an asshat when I have all these creatures owning in combat and taking up extra game time.
    On the other hand I know my fellow players will be happy when my steel defender grants an attacker disadvantage against them or my homunculus grants them advantage on an attack.
    How do I balance all those goodies without overwhelming my dm or making myself too much of a focus in combat making others feel left out?
    Thanks

Yeah that would be great except the game in question is on another platform. I was hesitant to post about it on the platform this particular campaign is on so as not to hurt any feelings or cause undue uncomfortableness. I’m trying to tread lightly here because I really like this group and the DM seems to have it together (before this) so I’m not trying to make waves.

Too many pets can cause combat to become clunky and slow, it can also frustrate the other players, but without knowing the details of your game and group it's hard to say from an outside perspective if it would be too much or not.

Yeah that’s kind of what I’m afraid of. To alleviate the pain as much as possible of course I’ll know what they are going to do and make it fast, however that’s not going to help having to deal with attacks against the pets etc.
    I do plan to try to use them to benefit the others in the party more than me (I.e. giving advantage to other players and using defender reaction to protect other players) so I’m hoping the others warm up to them!

I'd suggest you just tell the DM, I've got this idea that sounds fun - but if turns out to not be fun for you or the rest of the group - I'd be happy to change it. But yeah pets can really slow stuff down.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    I'd suggest you just tell the DM, I've got this idea that sounds fun - but if turns out to not be fun for you or the rest of the group - I'd be happy to change it. But yeah pets can really slow stuff down.
    Yeah I get that ... but personally I’d rather have the dm kill my character fair and square than changing how I planned to play it. I’ll tell him that. If this guy gets too complicated, distracting and out of control then take your best shot ... that seems more fair to have him go down in a blaze of glory. Then I can break out my back up character with no hard feelings ��

Only one of either the homonculus OR the defender can use the Help action in a turn as they both require you to use your bonus action to use Help. If the DM has the flanking rules of any friendly creature opposite the target then yeah, this will be messy. Of course, the homunculus costs 100 gp each time one is made if it is destroyed and you can't create another defender before a long rest if it is destroyed, so there are some balances there.

Thread Information