STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

battlemap tokens sometimes out of sync with DM

We're noticing occasionally a player will have to request movements more than once as the token won't move on our screens but will move on the DM screen.

Noted using 5e, starfinder and pf2e on Live.

Blog Entries
    Extensions? Logs? Steps to reproduce?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

it's intermittent unfortunately and on tonights instance i'm not the DM. will try to get the logs.

Steps to reproduce are playing with locked tokens, player makes a move, DM approves, token moves on DMs screen but not on client, then resets on both after a moment to the original position.

I've been seeing a de-syncing issue too over the past few games i've DM'ed. A few things i've figured out with testing:

I think it's related to lighting. I am using the "Test" build stream to use the newer lighting features. I've started seeing this as of a game i DM'ed on 4/3/2021. The game i played 3/27/2021 did NOT have any issues (nor for weeks afterwards).

From my testing, I have seen that it works something like this with the de-sync:

Client connects to GM. If the Client loads a map with lighting turned on, some clients (not all) seem to get de-synced. When de-synced, there is a couple seconds delay before a move will happen. This happens with tokens locked or unlocked. Any action that is taken has a subsequent delay, which seems to pile up on the actions queue. This includes moving on the grid, rolling dice, typing text, basically everything. As more actions build up, the client gets further de-synced (and the delay seems to increase with each action piling up on the queue. I.E. action 1 is delayed by 2 seconds, action 2 is delayed by 3 seconds, etc.) so as more actions pile up, it takes longer and longer for the client to catch up. If we sit and wait, the client will SLOWLY catch up, and if they get back to par (equal to the DM. Everyone sits around and does nothing), the delay will reset back lower. However, it is still there and will continue to pile up. This will happen on maps WITH lighting, WITHOUT lighting, etc. Once the client has loaded a map with lighting, it seems to affect their client overall (and it doesn't seem to affect all clients).

If the client disconnects, and reconnects, everything goes fine until they load a map with lighting. Once they load a map with lighting, it seems to start happening again. It seems to ALWAYS be the same clients who have issues, and those who don't are perpetually fine.

I the client disconnects, i TURN OFF LIGHTING on a map that caused problems, they reconnect, and load that map, they will run without issues. If i turn lighting back on, they will immediately run in to issues. If i turn lighting off AFTER they start having problems, the problems will still continue. It seems to completely affect the client's session.

I worked with one of my players to check their logs as it was happening, the logs were basically indistinguishable from the logs with a player who was working properly. Also, i checked my local logs, and for some reason *MY* logs havent been logging for weeks in unity to a file, so I don't have a file log to supple. The unity logs are around a month old at this point, and not being updated in my DM client for some reason.

I hope this helps, but that is what i've noticed and experienced.

@Azaran: Are you on the Test version of FGU?

Sorry to drag this thread up from the grave; but it seems like my campaign run last night with my players was running into something similar. Although reversed (the players would see the token move but they were not showing as moved on the DM side). And ever so often it would seem to sync back up and the players tokens would jump back to what the DM was seeing. Using locked tokens; if a player moved, DM approves, player seems movement happen/DM does not, player moves again, DM sees the new movement (but token is still in old location), when DM approves this 2nd movement all of a sudden the DM sees the token moving from the 1st movement location over to the 2nd location.

We were also experiencing a lot of slowness overall throughout the game last night.

We are running 5E ruleset. All players/DM are running the current build.

We are aware of an issue where token planned movement does not stop at walls on player clients as expected (and thus gets out of synch). We're already working on a fix, and hope to patch soon.

Thanks,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    We are aware of an issue where token planned movement does not stop at walls on player clients as expected (and thus gets out of synch). We're already working on a fix, and hope to patch soon.

Thanks,
    JPG
    Thank you for the update.

Just an FYI, when I (DM) was losing the vision of where the tokens had moved to it was not at any point going through a wall or door. But glad that the syncing issue is being looked at.

As always greatly appreciate your guys hard work!

Are you able to recreate the issue with a single player connected? If so, I'd like to make sure it's not a different issue.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Are you able to recreate the issue with a single player connected? If so, I'd like to make sure it's not a different issue.

Regards,
    JPG
    I had not tried to replicate it with any of my players after that game session. I will see if I can get with one of them to run some tests.

Thread Information