DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Just Purchased Alien Ruleset, trying to understand it now

Hi All. At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot (because I have the Alien RPG Core Rulebook in hard copy as well and already read about the mechanics of the game) , I think I need some guidance on how the actual FGU ruleset works itself though.

Right now its pushing rolls, I know how it works from reading the book but how do you push a rule with the FGU Ruleset, because the "PUSH" button seemingly doesn't do anything for me.

From the interpretation of the ruleset (you find the dbase die in the custom dice radial menu for d6), mechanically per the book you role first then if you choose to push the roll (which should only be done on failure) "this means you grab all the dice that didn't show (the "cross" symbol) and roll them again". So I do the dbase roll and I click the "PUSH" button correct? If so , its not doing anything.

Basically I'm trying to tie in what the book says into how it gets done in Fantasy Grounds with the Ruleset, because I haven't actually played Alien Roleplaying game yet and as a first time DM of the ruleset I want to be able to do a brief run-through for players when I do host a game.

I'm sure I'm being dense and just overlooking something, the rules in the hardcopy seem pretty simple to understand -- its just using them to play in FGU I need to figure out.

Thanks.

Tom

It's all automated.

My players just roll, and hit the Push button if they want to push.

For example, one guy tries Close Combat. He clicks the little dice next to Close Combat, the game rolls for him. He's not happy with the result and decides to push, so he clicks the Push button. The game rerolls the push, and adds the stress counter to his character sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    There is a PDF that gets copied to your FG Data folder that explains how to use the ruleset.
    You'll really want to look through that PDF before running a session. Combat has a few extra tweaks in it, like cloning xenos for their extra attacks, applying declared actions in between combat turns, etc. It has a completely different flow. It's not difficult, just different.

I can not offer any assistance in this but if your looking for players I would love to give this game a try. Please pm if you need another player. Aramis.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll test this with my 2nd fgu copy.. i did look over the pdf btw ill play around with the ruleset this week.

As for anyone wondering...i know the rules of yhe game...its how the ruleset in fgu works was my curiosity. If we played in person no vtt id be good to go.

Anyway my game wont start for months end of summer is my target date, ill post in lfg at that time for players. If my regular pool of players don't fill all the spots.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    Hi All. At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot (because I have the Alien RPG Core Rulebook in hard copy as well and already read about the mechanics of the game) , I think I need some guidance on how the actual FGU ruleset works itself though.

Right now its pushing rolls, I know how it works from reading the book but how do you push a rule with the FGU Ruleset, because the "PUSH" button seemingly doesn't do anything for me.
    The Push roll button only works if a previous roll has been made. If it has, then it adds a Stress level to the character pushing, and re-rolls that attribute or skill with an additional stress die. I just tried it as a GM on FGU and it worked for me. When you said it's not doing anything on press, were you perhaps logged as a player and not selected onto the token? I can imagine that could cause issues, if a player has multiple characters, for example. The push button also only works for the "player" (either GM or PC) who rolled the attribute/skill, if the GM makes a character roll, the Push button on that player's FGU won't be pressable.
    Last edited by srbongo; April 12th, 2021 at 14:32. Reason: clarity
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Thread Information