5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Additional layers not working with Lighting. Possible Mac issue

Adding additional layers/assets on top of lighted layer blocks light on Mac OS.

Recreate, CoS map with a light layer. Add Smiteworks Spell Effect Token. Mac OS

2.png
    6.png

The following is Darkvision
    Darkvision.png

If light a light layer is created and always kept as top layer, lighting appears to work as intended.

That's working as expected. Layers above those with lights are not lighted by the lights below.

Regards,
    JPG

Fair enough. I thought so too so I posted in the FGU Sharing LOS and Light Definitions (v 4.1 and up only) thread where I thought the light layers might want to be decoupled from the base image/LoS layer. Obviously dropping any asset on a pre-light map will not work as the user intends. Zacchaeus could not reproduce dropping the spell effect so I thought it might be Mac related.

That being said, you bring up a good point about usage.

I think the idea was that you could use ambient lighting along with lights to replicate lights shining out of lower layers; but obviously adding items such as furniture or dropped items (or spell effects) is a potentially big use case as well.

Regards,
    JPG

I think that on quite a lot of maps there will be a desire to drop furnishings etc. to make that map work for the table, and I think this could prove to be an growing problem when lighting goes live. If there is a way to have lighting be on its own discrete layer, allowing additions to the map below to work with lighting correctly, that would be a great solution and probably be a stronger framework going forward into Live.

Cheers,

Simon

Making an automatic top lighting layer would be one idea. But for flexibility you would want each folder to have it's own top lighting layer so different folders could have different lighting.

Thread Information