STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Searching for Interest - Arcana Evolved

Hey fellas,

It's been a while since I've seen Fantasy Grounds around, but I haven't been able to grab it since I'm currently on a Macintosh. However, my future is soon to change, and one of the first things I'm gonna be doing is picking up a copy of Fantasy Grounds II along with a few of the addons to run a campaign in the Land of the Diamond Throne from Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved...

...that is, of course, if there's interest

That's why I've registered and am posting here, to see if there is adequate interest in a potential Arcana Evolved campaign that I'm wanting to run, to start in about a month and a half. Are there any out there with the rules that care to join me?

I've been working on AE for a while now and haven't been able to find a group where I live, and this is a definite close second vs. tabletop gaming with pizza and good ole' Mountain Dew. I'll lay out a rough sketch on what it is I'm looking at doing (and which books I'll be using), and if there are enough of us out there that want to try it, let's give it a go.

First off, my books :

from Monte Cook's AE Setting :

Arcana Evolved
    Tanscendence
    AE Spell Treasury
    Mystic Secrets
    Legacy of the Dragons

from other sources of Monte Cook and associates :

Complete Book of Eldritch Might*
    Book of Iron Might*
    Book of Roguish Luck*

from other sources :

Book of the Righteous (Green Ronin)*
    Book of Fiends (Green Ronin)*

*not all content will be used

It's basically AE with a stronger religious background (though by no means is that going to own the campaign, it's really there for flavor reasons) and a slew of options for characters to play with. I'm debating on starting at lvl 1 or around lvl 5-7, as the first few levels would be random dungeons while developing characters (yeah, I'm into the RPing part of the hobby too). I've a few bad groups for you to encounter and rival and hate, along with ideas regarding the dragons and lost cultures, etc.

I don't mind first-time roleplayers, but I do want to forewarn that with these books it's a bit more complicated than a normal DnD campaign and can take some time to wrap your head around. And if you don't have all of this material, it's okay - most of the content will come from the core book, while the other books tend to expand on options for your character.

Anyway, let me know if there are any of you out there that want to game. If there's enough, I'll plan on getting the software when I'm back in the states and I'll post the campaign outline for you soon.

Hope to hear from some o' yas! I'm begging for a reason to pick up FGII!

I would be interested. I played in an AE game before. I don't have the rules anymore but I could pick them up. I have the Book of Roguish Luck and I'm sure I would want to use some things from that book. Let me know when you decide to run the game and send me any new information as you work on it.

Sounds good to me Habbalah. I'll be sure and brush up on the BoRL soon. I haven't really thought about incorporating their luck system (it being another layer of complexity added to all the classes), but I do like the three classes represented there. There's a conversion of the Gutter Mage at www.diamondthrone.com specifically made for AE, and there are rough guidelines related to each of the classes for conversion at the end of the book, so I'll take a good look at those this week.

The story thus far is this - I'm moving back to the states next week and will be with family for a while, then ending up back at college for my final year (finally!) in August. The soonest I'll be able to pick up the software here would be mid-August, and the soonest I'd know my schedule will be august 20th or so, so I'll have more definitive information for you regarding scheduling and times then.

One word - though we'll be in towns and urban environments at various points, I'm not planning an urban campaign as it were and from what I remember off the top of my head some of the classes would be "nerfed" outside of towns. Is there a certain class you have in mind? Post it here so I can read up on it.

Anyway, glad to see you're interested We'll keep up the dialogue and I'll post a better sketch of the campaign before the end of the week so you can get some more information.

**edit - of course, after saying all that about it not being an urban campaign, the option to use Ptolus is always present. There's a decent conversion guide out there that pretty much does the job of converting it to AE standards in an efficient way and it's been on my mind in the past. So, if people are wanting to go venture into the world's largest RPG city every published... perhaps we could make that work, too Has anyone here done a Ptolus campaign and, if so, how was it?
    Last edited by daBadMojo; July 11th, 2007 at 20:41.
    -daBadMojo

I'm always interested in new stuff and I have a few of the AE adventures in my collection.

I like the AE rules and setting but game play times are often an issue for me (being down at the bottom end of the world in GMT+12)
    Work Less, Game More!

I'd like an urban campaign though it's not a requirement. The class I would play would kind of depend on the type of campaign you plan on running. But, I did like the shadowmage base class in there. But, I also like the silvertongued charmer. So, I won't really know exactly what I'll play until later. Also, isn't there a AE base class called 'expert' or something? It seems I played that the last time I played in a campaign. It was the class that gave you a bunch of talents and bonus feats rather than pre-set class abilities.

I've also sent you a PM.

Sorry for the late replies, had to leave for the night. Back though.

Toad, no worries on the time - we've a bit of time before I'm able to start this thing, so we'll see what comes of it. BTW, I'm using Central Standard Time for the US, not sure how that converts for you (I don't know what my GMT is), but again we'll take a look once I find a couple more players and get everyone's play schedule.

Habbalah - I'll make a new post describing the general idea of the campaign in a few days so you can take a better look at what we'll be doing and can make a decision on your character. As far as the expert class, from what I remember it's actually an NPC class from Wizard's SRD. I can take a look at it and see if there is some conversion work done for it, but I would suggest first thinking about picking an AE class as I'm not sure how balanced the Expert would be for play (I'm assuming it'll be underpowered compared to the rest of the players). If you don't mind that, I'm good with it too, but I'll check around to find a similar class a bit more spiffed-up for PC play.
    -daBadMojo

I am deeply interested in running in an Arcana Evolved game. I have not had enough playtime with this setting and that saddens me. I live in CST (GMT-5/-6). Just keep me updated on anything that comes along, such as start times, character generation rules, or whatever.

I've never played an AE game starting at 1st, and that is my voice if that motivates you one way or the other.
    "The bird used the word 'dissimilarities'?"

GMT-5 (Summer)
    GMT-6 (Winter)

[email protected]

Hey man. Good to see another potential player

Opinion heard and logged. I know I've got a couple lower-lvl adventures pre-made that I can run, modified depending on player backgrounds. I'll dig them up and read them before we go.

So thus far I've DevinRI, Habbalah, and scytale2 interested, with Toad being a little off with times but we'll see. After about 24 hours I'm pretty happy This just might get me off WoW and into the Fantasy Grounds arena for a bit for my rping.

Again, keep in mind that this won't get off of the forums and onto FGII until late August. If I can get a couple more, though, we can start on character creation and I can lay out some stuff here for you all to read... in sweet, sweet anticipation of the game
    -daBadMojo

Thread Information