5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Massive Performance Drop With Multiple Light Sources

Due to the bug with darkvision not revealing tokens correctly, I decided to use a workaround of giving lanterns to all my PCs (previously only one had a light source and the others had darkvision). And WOW the performance goes to absolute hell with more than one light source.

With one PC with a light source, the game runs fine.
    When I give a second PC a light source, the map stars to jitter when zooming in and out.
    With a third PC with a light source, the map becomes a slideshow.
    With a fourth PC, the program lags so badly that it becomes impossible to move the map with middle-click + drag, or to reposition the map window.

Turning the extra light sources off causes the lag to immediately vanish.

I'm running Pathfinder 2e, book one of Abomination Vaults. The specific map I'm testing on is the Servant's Quarters map.

Blog Entries
    Did you have your maps in background mode? That is a known performance issue.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Oof. Good to know.

Still... Is that a performance issue that's likely to be fixed soon? Taking the map out of background mode makes everything a lot more finicky.

Blog Entries
    It's known. It seems like it's a priority for the devs. It seems like its a significant issue. I trust that the devs will prioritize it as important and will fix it as soon as they can.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Actually, the stuff with the background mode should be fixed in Test; so, if you have hints towards that there is still a problem, then it is worth a report

Is there a link describing this "background mode" and how to activate it? I never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininrussia View Post
    Is there a link describing this "background mode" and how to activate it? I never used it.
    The arrow(s) in the upper right with which you can fix an image to the background

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    The arrow(s) in the upper right with which you can fix an image to the background
    oh, didn't realize that the game map with grid and stuff could be put in the background. Will have to test that out and see if its useful. Thanks!

It's more useful if you have a large monitor. I doubt people on laptops use is since everything ends up on the map.

The background mode allows you to float windows freely about the monitor and you just leave a space in the middle of the screen for the map ..

But that aside I have stopped using it now for performance issues in V4.1 especially.. It would be nice to be able to lock maps/windows positions - then it would be like its in background mode functionally wise ..
    Last edited by EllivasKram; April 5th, 2021 at 21:59.

Thread Information