FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to handle multiple arcane backgrounds in SWADE ruleset?

We have situation where a character might obtain second arcane background. This is supported by the story and actions done during play. As per the rules on p.149 this is ok. Still, while checking from ruleset perspective how this is done, I found out that even if i switch the arcane background type in the Powers tab, the PP and assigned spells remain the same all the time.

How does one handle multiple arcane backgrounds in SWADE ruleset properly?
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Its not handled natively, but you can handle all of it with just the power points being manual (which they kinda are anyway).

1. The character should pick up both AB Edges and associated skills.
    2. On the Powers sheet, one of the ABs should be selected. By default, powers will use that associated skill. If the player has a preference the will result in new powers typically being under one of the ABs, I would suggest that be the selected AB on the Powers sheet as FG will automatically associate the select skill to any new power added.
    3. You can manually change the skill associated with casting a specific power. If for some reason the player picks the same power for both ABs, just list it twice and change the associated skill for one of them. See the video below for how to change the associate skill.
    4. There is only one Power Point Tracker, so the player will have to manually track one of the ABs.

Here is the video. Note that this video is using an attack on the combat sheet as its example, but its the same process for Powers. You are using normal computer cut/paste key commands to replace the normal "type" of attack/power with a specific skill. It took me a few times to get it right, but it does work. As the player advances various skills, FG updates the Power tab appropriately.
    https://youtu.be/FMdt9-enpno

Since this is also a feature in the (upcoming) Pathfinder for Savage Worlds and Ikael (IIUC) will be doing that, I'm assuming he'll port the solution over to the SWADE ruleset as well.

I know there was an extension someone made. No idea if it still works with all the changes lately. Luckily Ikael will have to add it with Pathfinder

NM, I don't think that's the extension I thought it was...just lets you add your own custom ABs

Looking at GunbunnyFuFu's posts in the Rifts ruleset that he worked on, he said we was going to show how to do it but I couldn't find where he did. That said, reading his post it does sound like he was doing what amerigoV detailed.
    Last edited by IceBear; April 3rd, 2021 at 16:29.

It would be fantastic if each AB had it's own labelled tab added to the character sheet. Then you could quickly click on each one and see if separate from any other powers or power point listings. I have NO idea if dynamic tabs adding to a character sheet is difficult to do or not, but it sure would be pretty slick.
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

As mentioned the Pathfinder for Savage Worlds ruleset is going to support multiple arcane backgrounds. Ikael is working on that so we're pretty sure he'll be adding it to core SW too

Looking forward to this functionality then
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Savage Pathfinder (at least in its current incarnation of the rules) uses a single pool of Power Points for multiple Arcane Backgrounds, so functionality for multiple power pools may not make it into FGU.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfisc View Post
    Savage Pathfinder (at least in its current incarnation of the rules) uses a single pool of Power Points for multiple Arcane Backgrounds, so functionality for multiple power pools may not make it into FGU.
    Having multiple pools is just part of it ..need to have multiple arcane backgrounds with associated skills. So a cleric/wizard will have both Faith and Magic. Having multiple pools would be nice for settings like Rifts

Thread Information