STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Poor Performance After Yesterday's Update

I updated Fantasy Grounds last night to check to make sure everything was working fine for our game that we had scheduled today, as I'm excited and happy with what I've seen so far with Lighting, and also saw some improvements with brightness as it was sometimes hard for just even me to see the map when I was drawing lines on certain maps. From what I could tell, everything was loading well enough last night.

We started a game today at 8pm and everyone was having issues interacting with the map, which is large, as it's a custom map for Dungeon of the Mad Mage 6th level. Initially, no one could move their tokens, moving their view on the map was extremely delayed, targeting was either delayed or they just couldn't see it, but I could as a DM, double but if I moved something or targeting something on the map, only I saw that, all my players were still looking at the same positions. They also couldn't see any changes in the Combat Tracker. I posted in the Discord with a bit of my frustration and was asked to post here to help investigate.

It was odd, as a DM everything seemed to be working OK other than some noticeable but manageable lag. I didn't notice it using any of the resources heavily (3.8GB of 32GB RAM, 3090 at 40% GPU usage, i7 10700K at about 6% CPU usage). I'm also on Ethernet with gigabit Comcast internet if that impacts at all.

When did performance go down? -- After the update the released last night my performance went down, I asked my players to update at the beginning of the morning today long before tonight.

I will also say that we tried the next update to see if that helped at all and it had little to no effect. What did work a little bit, I found, was after resetting everyone's FoW. Then they were having a bit of a better time, but performance was still a bit laggy and I had to roll for them a few times.

Ruleset used? -- 5e

Modules/Extensions loaded? -- I believe all of my players likely have all of the Players Guides that are available loaded for them. Extensions are just:

Official Fonts
    Theogeek's Improved Critical
    Theme: Wood
    Decal Xanathar's Guide

Modules for me I have (which I concede I can probably unload some):

Candlekeep Mysteries
    Dungeon of the Mad Mage
    D&D LA Forge of the Dawn
    D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver
    Crypt of the Sun Lord
    DM's Guide
    Elemental Evil Companion
    Monster Manuel
    PHB
    Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (Player's)
    Ebberon Rising from the Last War (Player's)
    Unearthed Arcana (Player's)
    Curse of Strahd (Player's)
    DM's Guide (Player's)
    Explorer's Guide to Wildemount (Player's)
    Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
    Tasha's Couldron of Everything
    Xanather's Guide to Everything (Player's)

Which maps (module, custom, etc.)?

Custom Map, got it from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dungeonofth...ef_source=link

Created LoS awhile ago, not too long after Unity was available from the Kickstarter, and then added lighting for all of the stone pillars and the character tokens. Attaching that export to this post.

Maybe it's because I have it all as one layer? I have no doubts that I'm doing something weird/unexpected. Or maybe it's just because it's a big 'ole map, resolution of 6500x8375.

--

What I'll probably try next is just creating a new campaign and starting fresh with some of the exports of the old one, as it has a several maps of that same size now. For the current map I'll make Lighting it's own separate layer as I see that's how it's being done the videos featuring it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The map I downloaded from that link is 7800x10050, and 12.2 MB. That's a pretty hefty image; so I guess I'm surprised you didn't see any issues previously. But, I can also see that the FoW would build up a lot in a map that large and detailed.

I'll send on to our image developer (who is currently out for a few days).

Regards,
    JPG

If you can still reproduce the performance slowdown with the current campaign, we usually like to get a zipped up copy of the campaign folder in order to be able to make sure we can recreate as closely as possible.

Thanks,
    JPG

I did a test 4E game with 5 players logged in this evening. Map is 5500x6300. About 20 lights defined on the map. 6 enemy tokens on map.
    Had all the same issues as OP. Started with lag then after about 15 minutes nobody could move their tokens. Had everybody exit and restarted FGU. Logged back in and same issues. Switched back to the Live server and everything ran relatively smooth.

I had the same problem in the thread I just posted - never saw this one or I'd have added it in here.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

3090 at 40% GPU usage
    The driver likely clocked down the card, so percentage is relative. Was this using the map image in a windows or did you maximize/fullscreen it?

We had the same problem last night. We thought it was a connection problem, but no. We tested by direct connection and by the cloud. It was fixed when I turned off the ambient light option. But with the light it was impossible to play. We were playing level 3 of the mad mad dungeon with the map that came by default (basic map).

I was having similar issues with regular FGU, without lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If you can still reproduce the performance slowdown with the current campaign, we usually like to get a zipped up copy of the campaign folder in order to be able to make sure we can recreate as closely as possible.

Thanks,
    JPG
    Yeah I'll see if it happens again pre-session on Wednesday with my SO after trying a few different things. Since the campaign folder compressed is ~70mb, just upload it to Google Drive and link it here?

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    The driver likely clocked down the card, so percentage is relative. Was this using the map image in a windows or did you maximize/fullscreen it?
    Maximized.

For clarification: I did not mean maximized FGU window, but just the map window. Did you use the arrow button in the upper right window corner to maximize the map window between (left) chat and (right) side-bar? Or did you use the button twice to make the map go full-screen and cover even chat and side-bar (keep forgetting the FGU internal names for these two different modes)?

Try running the map in windowed mode instead. You can still drag it to the large size, just don't use the upper right arrow button.

Thread Information