DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 40 of 46 First ... 303839404142 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    Thanks very much for the reply. I'm definitely confused, missing a piece of the puzzle here, so I'll break it down alittle more.

Lets us Rage as an example.

Rage, via Automatic Effects, has a card - you can find it in spells.

It doesnt have a custom effect defined in the custom effects u.i.

The Card for rage has all the information regarding rage, as per PHB, ect.

When I drop this card into the character sheet, it 'somehow' pulls in code.

Where is that code defined? Is it parsing the text of the card and building the effect dynamically? That's some pretty insane string parsing if thats the case. If not, its got to be defined somewhere, I just cant find it.

The only thing i can do, is modify the effect inline, once it hits the character sheet and propagates.

What I'd like to do, is go to the source itself, and change it. So that when my players drag rage onto their sheet, it uses my version.

Also, when you say local DB, you're referring to the database for custom effects - which I can import/export.

While it would be great to be able to modify AE version of Rage, so that when i drop a new character onto the CT, it would add the correct version of Rage... I'm more interested in having a Card I defined, or a module i make, that has my version of it.. so I can always just drop that sucker right on the sheet, rather than having to manually type it in everytime I bust something.

Sorry for somewhat rambling post, but I'm definitely missing a piece of the puzzle of how all this works.

Again, where is the EFFECTS code for Rage coming from, where is it defined. Image attached.

My guess... the module has these all hardcoded behind the scenes, or its a text parser...which i find insane.

I guess I was expecting to open the card for Rage...and see a textarea in which I could drop EFFECTS code.

Thank you again chief!Attachment 55668Attachment 55669
    Your asking a more basic FGU question I'm not sure I can fully detail out for you especially with the words "card" being used. If you want details you'll have to get a grounding on the basics of how FGU data works. But here is a short primer...

1) There are no "cards" there are database entries that define a PC or NPC sheet. These have traits, actions, etc. The names of these traits, actions, etc. go through a name search (you'd have to read up on EE) and find a matching spell/power in the DB and a matching custom effect in the DB. These can be listed in the right side of your app under the button "effects" which are referred to as custom effects and under the button spells. You can define custom effects as pure text strings though they have lots of rules in them and some peripheral button definitions you'd have to understand which from your use of them in your first post I'm assuming you do understand. Those will be matched by names defined per EE rules (traits, actions, etc.) and placed on the CT (combat tracker) entry for that PC/NPC if a match is found. Then there is a match for spells (powers really) where the name is matched and the spell/power definition (per EE rules) is matched and placed in the CT actions and also the PC(actions tab)/NPC(main tab) detailing out based on EE options you set to display. Now to define a spell you usually start with a dummy PC you use to create them - and add the spell in their using the add actions and stuff to flesh it out - this is a lot of different stuff I want explain here. This is then copied to the spell list to create the matching power (per EE rules) and you have effects/die rolls/etc. which you will NEVER see. You can also edit a spell directly into the spell list by pure text and pray the parser can do all you want when it translates it - but really - you got AE5E so you got all the cool stuff predefined (not dumb text but dummy PC used to create spell and then copy it over). So that's it in a nutshell. And as I told you - you have to replace the one currently defined. Want to see what is defined? Look at the match it created or drag the spell into a dummy PC to see what it has. Though based on your RAGE description automatically appearing I'm guessing its a custom effect match (thought it will also be defined in the power for those without EE or for effects that have to be triggered as custom effects are only for things you want to always be on the PC/NPC CT entry). That's as much time explaining I'm willing to do - the rest you can trial and error or read the .txt file in EE or posts in that thread or this one. FYI - RAGE is not something that should be in custom effects as if it matched it there you'd be in a rage as soon as your dropped something with it into the CT. Its something you manually trigger which will be defined int he spell (copied into PC dummy to see in its actions tab).

Wait I guess there is only a 1)
    Last edited by SilentRuin; January 5th, 2023 at 04:52.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I suppose the easy answer for you is to copy the rage spell - then drop your copy into a dummy PC - delete the spell list one - then modify it in dummy PC how you want and then copy it back with the name that will match (the same name you first copied)
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    Thanks very much for the reply. I'm definitely confused, missing a piece of the puzzle here, so I'll break it down alittle more.

Lets us Rage as an example.

Rage, via Automatic Effects, has a card - you can find it in spells.

It doesnt have a custom effect defined in the custom effects u.i.

The Card for rage has all the information regarding rage, as per PHB, ect.

When I drop this card into the character sheet, it 'somehow' pulls in code.

Where is that code defined? Is it parsing the text of the card and building the effect dynamically? That's some pretty insane string parsing if thats the case. If not, its got to be defined somewhere, I just cant find it.

The only thing i can do, is modify the effect inline, once it hits the character sheet and propagates.

What I'd like to do, is go to the source itself, and change it. So that when my players drag rage onto their sheet, it uses my version.

Also, when you say local DB, you're referring to the database for custom effects - which I can import/export.

While it would be great to be able to modify AE version of Rage, so that when i drop a new character onto the CT, it would add the correct version of Rage... I'm more interested in having a Card I defined, or a module i make, that has my version of it.. so I can always just drop that sucker right on the sheet, rather than having to manually type it in everytime I bust something.

Sorry for somewhat rambling post, but I'm definitely missing a piece of the puzzle of how all this works.

Again, where is the EFFECTS code for Rage coming from, where is it defined. Image attached.

My guess... the module has these all hardcoded behind the scenes, or its a text parser...which i find insane.

I guess I was expecting to open the card for Rage...and see a textarea in which I could drop EFFECTS code.

Thank you again chief!Attachment 55668Attachment 55669
    Lets stop using the word "hardcoded" none of this so far is hardcoded. Example of hardcoded would be something that is in FGU already in the background and even that is sorta not fully hardcoded because many of them can be dipped into by exts. One good thing Smiteworks has done is allowed EXTs access to a lot of stuff.

Next, you use EE, so this is a simple fix. Create a mod with your custom effects coding.
    How you do this is simple, make a new campaign, created the effect you want on a PC, drag the effect into the spells list. Then export the spells list by using the mod exporter.

Then you can use that mod on any table you want to use your custom effects on (of course DM would have to load the mod first)

then because using EE, you can set the mod order. So you would want your custom mod to be 1, then 5eAE to be 2. This will allow EE to trigger the correct spell effect to load on to the PC when they have this.
    Now also you could simply move the correct spell over to the PC sheet that is from the correct mod instead of the one from 5eAE.

bingo
    click

thank you for the explanations -
    Last edited by spencerg; January 5th, 2023 at 06:49.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Never used spell tokens - is it compatible (for sure if they don't play nice and call other overrides of PowerManager.parseNPCPower then they will kill any intelligence for CT actions for sure) ? Moodule priority is only going to be respected by EE and AdvantagesCW. I doubt anyone else has it coded. And if there are conflicts - then there are conflicts. You'd have to ask someone who has experience in using all three - just letting you know that you should never expect something else to use module priority unless they code it to do so (unlikely). Plus make sure you have the options set that do that sort of thing in EE.
    Due to load order, yours been 115 and mine been 110... your non-calling case of the overridden 'parseNPCPower' causes my version not to get called... as your code will skip the sub-call back down to the ruleset... when you return copyDeep before when you call 'return saveparseNPCPower(nodePower, bAllowSpellDataOverride);' at the end of your function.

To sort this you will need to call the 'bit' of code that I chain onto the ruleset code..

If you stick the couple lines above about line 480 in 'manager_equipped_effects.lua' this should resolve the issue in a safe way for people using or not my spell tokens..

-pete

EDIT: (note.)

The spell tokens extension does a name check with a number of stripping rules to work around a number of extension encoded format extras, which might need some work my side once the spell tokens 'addToken' is called in the case when you do not call the saved original function for parseNPCPower...

But from my checks once you turn on 'translate npc power' most NPC CT powers seem to use your copyDeep non-ruleset calling return and they all loose spell tokens obviously.

function parseNPCPower(nodePower, bAllowSpellDataOverride)
    if SpellTokens_B9ST and SpellTokens_B9ST.addToken then
    -- try and add the token
    SpellTokens_B9ST.addToken(nodePower)
    end
    return UtilityManager.copyDeep(sortedpowerdata);
    Last edited by bratch9; January 11th, 2023 at 20:22.
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

So I tested this issue with it not pulling up the tokens with 5eAE and EE; after changing B9 load order to 116 (1 after EE); ran a ton of testing and seems to be working just fine.

So just need SR to update then?

Quote Originally Posted by Leprekorn View Post
    So just need SR to update then?
    No, B9 needs to update.
    Spell Tokens doesn't have a loadorder currently, which means it defaults to 50

EE (SilentRuin AKA SR) is set to 115.

After setting B9 to 116, I had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    No, B9 needs to update.
    Spell Tokens doesn't have a loadorder currently, which means it defaults to 50

EE (SilentRuin AKA SR) is set to 115.

After setting B9 to 116, I had no issues.
    Your version of spell tokens should have 110 for load order..

I've updated it to 116, and updated forge and DMsGuild versions.

Thanks for doing tests as I did not have suitable data to test with as I dont use EE in any of my games.

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Thread Information