DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 37 of 46 First ... 273536373839 ... Last
    Hi.
    I've just opened my campaign for the first time since updating to 4.3 and I get this message (screenshot). Can you tell me what it means and if I should do anything about it? TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alea iacta est

Quote Originally Posted by Geometer View Post
    Hi.
    I've just opened my campaign for the first time since updating to 4.3 and I get this message (screenshot). Can you tell me what it means and if I should do anything about it? TIA
    First, you should post this question in correct thread - as this is for data modules and your asking about the equipped effects extension...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...read.php?59490

Second, you should make sure you're up to date with that extension and all your other extensions as FGU updates regularly break extensions and require updates.

Having said all that you should have V 1.53 if your up to date for equipped effects per the forum thread I listed. If you have Forge it will be auto updated (unless you did something crazy like unpacked a zip file in your extensions directory or have some old version named still in there from some pre Forge version or some DMsG name change which they do sometimes) when you hit the update button (even when not red) - if DMsG then you should always be checking for updates on their site based on any products you own (usually listed in the forum threads you track for those extensions) and make sure they have not changed the .ext name leaving some old version out in your extensions directory.

This error makes me think you have not updated in a long while but check your version in chat when you come up in FGU.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; October 22nd, 2022 at 16:05.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I don't know if this has been reported already or not, I tried looking through the thread but 37 pages are a lot.
    I was creating a Rogue Soulknife with the Character Wizard, using Automatic Effects and the Equipped Effects extension: when I hit level 3 and selected the Soulknife specialization, the extension added the wrong "Psionic Powers" feature to the Actions tab - it added the one from the Psi Warrior (Fighter's subclass) instead of the one for the Soulknife (Rogue subclass)

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    I don't know if this has been reported already or not, I tried looking through the thread but 37 pages are a lot.
    I was creating a Rogue Soulknife with the Character Wizard, using Automatic Effects and the Equipped Effects extension: when I hit level 3 and selected the Soulknife specialization, the extension added the wrong "Psionic Powers" feature to the Actions tab - it added the one from the Psi Warrior (Fighter's subclass) instead of the one for the Soulknife (Rogue subclass)
    First of all - character wizard has a bunch of hardcoded lookups. Unless you use Advantages CW extension then I have no idea how your going to get character wizard to recognize anything but the FGU hardcoded modules. And even if you use that you still have to be aware that modules might require a module priority to get what you want to take precedence over some other module. AND EVEN THEN you have to realize that unless you have your own module like I made for myself for AE5EPHBClasses where all the links point the WOTC data but all the classes have the links pointed to the AE5E PHB data so my players don't have to guess which spell powers (that have same name so many do) take precedent in our game.

Gist is FGU is horrible at managing modules and what takes precedence - hence annoyingly making me do all the sorts of things above. My advice - is to wait till you have your character created in CW - then replace all the spell/powers/links with the AE 5E versions where necessary. Otherwise, your stuck with what I described above. I love FGU... but sometimes... I just wanna...

Anyway, know your limitations within the tools you have to play with.

I just tested this without extensions and it adds the correct ability; so the issue will be with the extension(s). I'd suggest that if you are using extensions like this you are probably better using drag and drop since the extension clearly messes with the character wizard code in some way. (Note also to make sure that it is the incorrect one that got added since the verbiage in the first three paragraphs are exactly the same for both traits).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    First of all - character wizard has a bunch of hardcoded lookups. Unless you use Advantages CW extension then I have no idea how your going to get character wizard to recognize anything but the FGU hardcoded modules. And even if you use that you still have to be aware that modules might require a module priority to get what you want to take precedence over some other module. AND EVEN THEN you have to realize that unless you have your own module like I made for myself for AE5EPHBClasses where all the links point the WOTC data but all the classes have the links pointed to the AE5E PHB data so my players don't have to guess which spell powers (that have same name so many do) take precedent in our game.

Gist is FGU is horrible at managing modules and what takes precedence - hence annoyingly making me do all the sorts of things above. My advice - is to wait till you have your character created in CW - then replace all the spell/powers/links with the AE 5E versions where necessary. Otherwise, your stuck with what I described above. I love FGU... but sometimes... I just wanna...

Anyway, know your limitations within the tools you have to play with.
    I think it's a legit issue with either Tasha's Automatic Effects module or the Equipped Effects extension: I just tried with the drag-and-drop method, and once I add the character to the Combat Tracker, it adds the wrong ability from the Automated Effects module for Tasha's Cauldron. I tried also creating the whole character from CW, then dragging to the Combat Tracker, and all the automated abilities were added correctly except for Psionic Power.
    Essentially, if I add the ability manually it's fine, BUT if I use Equipped Effects then it selects the wrong ability to add to the rogue.

Screenshot 2022-11-10 192327.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I just tested this without extensions and it adds the correct ability; so the issue will be with the extension(s). I'd suggest that if you are using extensions like this you are probably better using drag and drop since the extension clearly messes with the character wizard code in some way. (Note also to make sure that it is the incorrect one that got added since the verbiage in the first three paragraphs are exactly the same for both traits).
    I'm talking about the Automated Effect that gets added, not the class feature from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. I know it's the wrong one because the very first line says "3rd level Psi Warrior feature", and because the list of spells included in the description is the one for the Psi warrior, not the one for the Soulknife.

I'm talking about the Automated Effect that gets added, not the class feature from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. I know it's the wrong one because the very first line says "3rd level Psi Warrior feature", and because the list of spells included in the description is the one for the Psi warrior, not the one for the Soulknife.
    None of what you said is unexpected. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, what I told you is what you have to do to get things the way you want them.

Here is what I see you saying - something with the same name in several modules is not being assigned the spell/power from the module you want it to be from. If you use FGU character wizard (without AdvantagesCW.ext) then you will get a list of classes and a list of pretty much everything else (spells, etc.) from a hardcoded list order in FGU. This will NOT include the AE 5E spells etc.

That is what your doing - and that is what you say (I think) you are seeing. You know a spell/power/etc. is coming from AE 5E because in the link to the spell it has a summary from Aridhro - the WOTC ones do not.

So as far as I can tell your getting what you get with FGU character wizard - a hardcoded selection of things from a hardcoded precedence order of modules. And if you pick a class from that list it will be from the WOTC modules they hardcoded (plus any local things? I think?) it will have links to all the WOTC data.

This is NOT the AE 5E stuff. The only way you can get that stuff into character/npc sheet is to drop it into them from the actual listings from the group for AE 5e stuff.

If you have a named spell/power/etc. then the equipped effects matching will find the name in the sequence that global code in FGU uses (which is local first, then alphabetical module name order - unless you've loaded a module during session which will always be last in the search list. A lot of things have identical names so you will hit the first come first serve definition in the global code I described above. Any unique named things (once in all the modules and local) will resolve to the right thing for sure - as they are unique.

Having said all this in how normal FGU works and equipped effects with it - I believe you are seeing what you SHOULD be seeing where your trying to look up something that exists more than once in the modules list and you get the first one it finds based on my description above (unless I misunderstood something).

Now I don't depend on this mixed stuff that can't possibly work with modules that are not hardcoded in their system - and AE 5E modules and any other ones not in their system - are not part of their character wizard logic.

I use AdvantagesCW to kludge character wizard into submission to respect my module priority (defined in equipped effects and AdvantagesCW - both are same code doing it) and also look at ALL the modules for unique items based on the module list meaning if I choose a Barbarian class and have several modules with that identical name and also have it in my local DB - then the local DB will be the one you see in character wizard (modified with extension). If not in local DB then it will find the barbarian class which is defined in your module priority - or default global search order. Hovering over the class/spell/etc. will always show what module it came from also as a tooltip.

In addition I made an AE5EPHBClasses.mod for the PHB WOTC data so that it can really point to all the spells/etc. that I want to use in my game - in my case that is the AE 5E PHB ones.

That's as detailed as I'm going to go - you get it or you don't - but if using what you've described your only recourse is to create your character in FGU CW and then replace all the data in your character sheet with links to the ones you really want to be using. I'm too lazy to ever waste time doing that so I made the AdvantagesCW and an AE5EPHBClasses.mod to take care of all that for me so I don't have to do anything. If I ever play something that needs more classes defined from outside PHB I usually just define them locally (by copying from the module) so it insures that is the one used.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    None of what you said is unexpected. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, what I told you is what you have to do to get things the way you want them.

Here is what I see you saying - something with the same name in several modules is not being assigned the spell/power from the module you want it to be from.
    Here's the misunderstanding, which I should have cleared from the beginning:
    It's not from several modules, the Psi Warrior (Fighter subclass) and the SoulKnife (Rogue subclass) are both in the same module (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) so the two class abilities with the same name come from the same module. It's not an issue of module priority/load priority, but an issue of class: it's assigning a Fighter effect to a Rogue just because they have class features with the same name (and because "Psi Warrior" comes before "soul Knife" alphabetically, I assume?).

That's why all the talking about module order and priority didn't get through me: because there is no module order to define since there's only one module involved. AdvantagesCW wouldn't help, as both are in Tasha's.

Here's the misunderstanding, which I should have cleared from the beginning:
    It's not from several modules, the Psi Warrior (Fighter subclass) and the SoulKnife (Rogue subclass) are both in the same module (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) so the two class abilities with the same name come from the same module. It's not an issue of module priority/load priority, but an issue of class: it's assigning a Fighter effect to a Rogue just because they have class features with the same name (and because "Psi Warrior" comes before "soul Knife" alphabetically, I assume?).

That's why all the talking about module order and priority didn't get through me: because there is no module order to define since there's only one module involved. AdvantagesCW wouldn't help, as both are in Tasha's.
    Usually in AE 5e modules things with the same name that differ by class have different names defining them (if they don't then that may be a bug in the module for Aridhro to resolve). For example, multiattack has a lot of npc specific features and at least one class specific feature that do different things but are named the same. So when Equipped effects looks up the "multiattack" spell/power to resolve it it will find the correct one by appending a "_Class_<classname>" in its search (does this for other things like NPCs also). Below is a search of multiattack_ (has a _Class_Ranger in there but missed it in my screen shot) in my spell lists to show what I'm talking about.

multiattack.jpg

So - I don't have tasha's but if you look up "soul Knife" (what you said was common name) then you should see a "soul Knife_Class_Fighter" and "soul Knife_Class_Rogue" or something like that in your spell lists just like for my search of multiattack (as many classes and NPCs have this defined with different meanings). If you don't see something like that - then you can ask Aridhro what's up with that as it will find first come first serve in that module.

[as a workaround you can simply rename the soul Knife spells/powers of same name it in your local to have the _Class_Fighter or _Class_Rogue to match those spell/power]

Keep in mind that specialized searches like this will try to find the "appended" versions first and if no name is found they will find the raw name match in the same global search order I mentioned earlier.

This is all by memory so Aridhro can correct me if I'm not stating this correctly for the appended name searches for class/npc/whatever as he had me add in. Only version info in equipped text thread will state what was done.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; November 11th, 2022 at 15:45.

Thread Information