DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 28 of 46 First ... 18262728293038 ... Last
    We just wanted to let you know about a significant change in the next release of 5E Automatic Effects.

Why the change?
    As we continue to expand the project and add new effects and new books, we're a little limited by the order in which Fantasy Grounds will load modules. This load order determines which entries get prioritization if there is ever a naming conflict. Although we've been able to work with it so far, our upcoming plans will be hampered by this limitation. It's time to bite the bullet, make the change, and establish a more robust framework for the future.
    What's changing?
    With the next release of 5E Automatic Effects, you will notice that the names of the modules have changed. Although the filenames have remained the same, the internal name now has a numeric prefix. This additional number will allow us to sort the modules in the preferred order. Core rule books will have a higher weight than supplements, who in turn will have a higher weight than adventures.

How does this affect me?
    Hopefully very little. New campaigns and new characters won't even notice the change. Everything will just work as expected. For existing campaigns and characters which are already using effects, they may need to be replaced. This is because all actions on the character sheet are actually copies of the original effect. If an effect has a link to another 5eAE resource, that link will still point to the original name, not the revised name.

For example, if your character has the spell 'Flaming Sphere', the spell contains a link to a NPC which can be used as part of the effect. The link text is "NPC: Flaming Sphere (Arcane Object)(5eAE)". Under the hood, that link is pointing to the module with the internal name of "5E Automatic Effects Player's Handbook". That copy of the spell doesn't know to look for the new name of "5E Automatic Effects 0.1: Player's Handbook"

What do I need to do?
    You have a couple of options:

1) Nuke it from orbit. If you're using Equipped Effects, you can simply remove all effects from all character sheets. Then remove the character from the combat track and put it back. EE will replace all of the missing effects. While this seems like a quick and dirty method, it won't properly handle the character's spell choices, and you'll be better off with options 2 or 3. Probably better for lower level campaigns without a lot of spells.

2) Swap as you go. If you or a player gets a module load warning that the module is not loaded - a) Close the warning. b) Delete the effect from the character sheet c) Drag a replacement copy from the spell. This method requires the least advanced work, but there will be brief interruption to your game while you resolve the issue. This is probably the preferred method because you only have to deal with the effects that are actually in use and actually have the conflict

3) Advanced Scouting. You'll use the same process as option 2, but you'll do it ahead of time. Open each link to an effect on the character's actions tab. Look at the detail description and see if there are any supplementary links pointing to something with the (5eAE) suffix. If so, delete and replace that effect on the sheet. This method prevents any interruption to game play, however brief, but does require more up front work.

What's next?
    5eAE continues to grow and mature. First off, we didn't want you to think that we were only giving you potentially bad news. As part of the next release, you will also notice that spells, scrolls, invocations, etc. now have a more detailed spell summary on them. This is a great way to see at a glance what a spell does. For those of you who prefer the summary view of your powers on the character sheet, this will be amazing for you.

After a very close vote by the community, the next book to be covered will be "Eberron: Rising of the Last War", and is currently in production.

Beyond that, we're not quite ready to share any more than this - there's a reason we needed to make sure that core books loaded before adventures.
    Last edited by Aridhro; October 12th, 2021 at 21:55.
    Fantasy Grounds Converter for Grim Press
    My projects:

Hi,

Just wanted to provide an update on the upcoming 5E Automatic Effects module naming change that was announced last week.

That update has now gone live! There weren't many questions last time, but if you have any now that you've actually gotten a copy in your hands, please feel free to let us know.

But that's not all. Hopefully you've seen that v1.39 of Equipped Effects was released earlier today. SilentRuin has helped 5eAE overcome a hurdle that we've been struggling with -- naming conflicts. Believe it or not, computers are stupid. They do exactly what you tell them to do. In this case, if two (or more) different NPCs had the same power name, but the power did different things, there would be a conflict.

Depending on which order the books were loaded, you might get the first ability or your might get the second. This was a secondary reason that 5eAE is getting the new names. We've been working on this for a few weeks.
    5eAE has always had a work around, but it was a manual one. Did you know that in the 5eAE MM module, there are dozens of custom NPCs and powers that all have a * after their name? One of these had to be created for every time there was a conflict! What's worse, is that it required the DM to 1) recognize there was a conflict and b) replace the NPC with the star version.

We're pretty sure that most DMs simply saw the effect on the combat tracker and went with it - never realizing there was a mistake. Unfortunately, this might mean your Doppelganger was only doing 2d6 with it's "Surprise Attack" instead of 3d6, because it was using the "Surprise Attack" which was designed for the Bugbear.

That's going to be a thing of the past.. With the new EE functionality, the star NPCs and star powers are going away. Instead, there will now be a "surprise attack_bugbear" and a "surprise attack_doppelganger". When you add the normal NPC, it will get the correct power every time.

You want to see how many potential conflicts there are on just "surprise attack"? Check out https://www.dndbeyond.com/search?q=%...se%20attack%22. Don't even get me started on how many different NPCs use "Illumination" AND have different light distances.
    This change clear that logjam. Not only will it increase the accuracy of the existing NPC to power matching, but it allows for additional powers to be created on NPCs which previously weren't really possible without a lot of additional work-arounds.. You'll be hearing more about that in the future.

For compatibility, since we're just announcing this change with the live version, the star version NPCs and powers still exist in the module. They will be removed in an upcoming release.
    Last edited by Aridhro; October 12th, 2021 at 21:55.
    My projects:

All 5eAE books got an update on DMsGuild.
    Keep in mind the things we discussed in previous post
    If you want to see what is possible with the new EE v1.39 update, add one of the Aberrations from the monster manual to your combat tracker. Those are already created regarding the new npc spell/effect formula.
    If you haven't got the 5eAE Monster Manual yet and you want to get it, find it here
    Have fun!
    Last edited by Aridhro; October 12th, 2021 at 21:56.
    My projects:

The latest updates:
    My projects:

Speaking from experience, I know DATA is the worst to maintain as there are always conflicts in how WOTC and their different modules over time define things with the same names that actually do different things.

Users probably won't even notice your "above and beyond" support of these data sets.

The amount of work to keep trying to refine your data and how it interacts to resolve these conflicts, without some firestorm of demands to do so, for no additional fee for the existing things you modify...

You be crazy.

A good kind of crazy, but crazy never the less
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

My players have saved the world three times over. However, it still seems like nothing compared to the amazing work you all have done. Everyone associated with this project is a true hero.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Speaking from experience, I know DATA is the worst to maintain as there are always conflicts in how WOTC and their different modules over time define things with the same names that actually do different things.

Users probably won't even notice your "above and beyond" support of these data sets.

The amount of work to keep trying to refine your data and how it interacts to resolve these conflicts, without some firestorm of demands to do so, for no additional fee for the existing things you modify...

You be crazy.

A good kind of crazy, but crazy never the less
    Seen the work Larian Studios put into Baldur's Gate 3?
    I think that kind of crazy is a bit of a Belgian feature.
    Thanks SilentRuin, I had a great mentor: what was the current EE version, 39??
    My projects:

Quote Originally Posted by dpezet View Post
    My players have saved the world three times over. However, it still seems like nothing compared to the amazing work you all have done. Everyone associated with this project is a true hero.
    Thanks dpezet! Comments like that keep us going!
    My projects:

5E Automatic Effects - Lost Mine of Phandelver
    Authors: WeezelD , Aridhro

Grim Press is proud to expand its 5E Automatic Effects product line with the introduction of adventure effects!

5eAE adventure effects are designed to enhance the GM experience for specific modules. Built on the foundation of 5eAE's core book effects, they also include unique effects for the magic items and NPCs which are specific to that adventure and aren't included elsewhere. Adventure effects do not require any other 5eAE product to function and are fully standalone. A GM simply needs the adventure itself and the corresponding adventure effects module.

For full automation, it's essential to own the Equipped Effects extension (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/158/view)

5E Automatic Effects - Lost Mine of Phandelver is the first of these adventure effects modules and includes over 100 effects to augment your LMoP campaign. This supplement is a great way to learn more about how 5E Automatic Effects will enhance your Fantasy Grounds game play, bringing almost effortless effects management to GMs and players.

If you are an existing 5eAE customer, adventure modules will complement your existing effects library and work together without any conflict.

This new 5eAE adventure effect module is now available:
    5E Automatic Effects Lost Mine of Phandelver Fantasy Grounds
    My projects:

The following 5eAE mods had an update (some minor ones were left out and MM is slowly expanding with EE's new name_npc effects):
    Last edited by Aridhro; October 28th, 2021 at 08:01.
    My projects:

Thread Information