DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Hitting a snag

Hitting a snag

Just got FG2 and can't wait to try it out, but there are a couple things I haven't quite figured out about the program yet, and I'd like to before I get into it.

1. I'm noticing in screenshots that a few people have some icons that I don't, such as the case of https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/at...7&d=1182620861
    Where're those found?

2. In that same screenshot, the guy's combat tracker appears to be much more involved than the one that shows up on my sample adventure "A Tale of Dinor." He has green, red, and yellow icons over on the right, and mine doesn't. He's got extra info like flat footed AC under the characters and I can't figure out how do that. What am I missing here / doing wrong?

3. I read on another post that it's possible to resize tokens by using the combat tracker, but damned if I can't figure it out. I can drag a token just about anywhere, but whenever I drag one onto the combat tracker and drop it, the token just vanishes.

4. How can you set outside images to become character portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by thrilljack
    1. I'm noticing in screenshots that a few people have some icons that I don't, such as the case of https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/at...7&d=1182620861
    Where're those found?

2. In that same screenshot, the guy's combat tracker appears to be much more involved than the one that shows up on my sample adventure "A Tale of Dinor." He has green, red, and yellow icons over on the right, and mine doesn't. He's got extra info like flat footed AC under the characters and I can't figure out how do that. What am I missing here / doing wrong?

3. I read on another post that it's possible to resize tokens by using the combat tracker, but damned if I can't figure it out. I can drag a token just about anywhere, but whenever I drag one onto the combat tracker and drop it, the token just vanishes.

1. I'm not sure what icons you mean. If you're talking about tokens, then they're probably home-made, or purchased in a token pack. Pop over to the Armory and search for "tokens", or have a look at the TokenTool that lets you make your own.

2. The green (friendly), yellow (neutral) and red (hostile) icons appear automatically on my combat tracker, but can be modified by dragging the icons from the bottom bar of the tracker. The flat-footed info should come across automatically, too, if it appears in the NPC/monster details, and you drag the little grey link box from the monster sheet/personalities list/story into the combat tracker. The full details will only appear if it's the monster's turn, it's being targeted, or you click on the little shield, sword or "effect" icon to the right of the entry. (In the screen-shot you showed, sahuagin #2 is being targeted by Vouldereth, and shark #1 is being targeted by Sir Gle`Glink.)

3. If you drop a token on the ring to the left of a name in the combat tracker, it'll stick. Even better, if you drag a token onto the ring at the top left of a personality sheet, it'll become associated with that NPC, and when you drag that NPC's link box from anywhere onto the tracker, his token will be appear! Now if you drag the token from the tracker onto a map, you'll then be able to resize it by rolling your mouse wheel up and down over the token in the tracker.

4. Put them in your Application Data Folder under "portraits".

You might like to spend some time reading the User Guide in the Library.
    Last edited by Callum; July 8th, 2007 at 10:02.

Gonna tackle this one at a time me thinks ifn I can

Just got FG2 and can't wait to try it out, but there are a couple things I haven't quite figured out about the program yet, and I'd like to before I get into it.

Where're those found?
    A lot of people make their own tokens and such using a program like GIMP or Photoshop. But really, any program that can handle .png files will work. The easiest way to make a token is to find an image you like, crop to what you want to use, then resize the token (I use 70x70 for all my "medium" creatures...as the premade ones I use are that size).

Then file, save as to the Host or Shared portraits folder in your App Data. If you don't know how to get there, click start, programs, Fantasy Grounds II, and you should see a link to Application Data in there

For PCs I'm not sure as mine don't have that info. For NPCs the easiest way to do this is to just drag the NPC from the d20 Monsters box onto the Tracker. The tracker will automatically fill in all the data needed And also provide a handy dandy link back to the original info.

First thing is to drag the token from the tracker onto the map. Then while holding ctrl, use the mouse scroll button while hovering over the token "portrait" on the tracker. If you do it right, you'll see a little number pop up beside the token on the tracker

Again, the easiest way is to open up the image you want to use in the graphic editor of your choice. Resize the image (best to crop to a head shot) to 63x63, then save as "somename".png in your portraits folder in the App Data.

Hope that was somewhat helpful
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Just a quickie for you, Vince - if you are using Token Tool (thanks for the pointer) how do you have those nice white square borders around the token? All I can get is a thick coloured square or circle, which interferes with the look of the token...
    Unfortunately I don't have any software which can manipulate a PNG image.

Quote Originally Posted by scytale2
    Just a quickie for you, Vince - if you are using Token Tool (thanks for the pointer) how do you have those nice white square borders around the token? All I can get is a thick coloured square or circle, which interferes with the look of the token...
    to use a quote of which I am fond "White man magic"

Seriously tho, I use a program called GIMP, its free, and as powerful (or near so) as Photoshop. Takes a bit gettin used to, but its worth it

If you get GIMP, I can give you some pointers on it
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by scytale2
    Download the free IrfanView. Load your png, pull down the Image Menu and select Cavas Size. Select the border color and width. Done. This will put a border around your square token. You may need to resize after that (which IrfanView also does). IrfanView is primarily a batch file converter/namer/editor. I use it exclusively for editing any art work that does not require transparency. I find IrfanView an enormusly useful utility.

For transparencies I use the afore mentioned GIMP.

Many thanks to both - I will try what you suggest and let you know how I get on!

Thanks for the advice, all, but I'm still missing something here. My Combat tracker only has:
    Name slot ... init box ... hp / wounds boxes... condition 1&2 and the duration of those conditions. It looks like I'm just flat-out missing a bunch of slots and can't figure out why.

Thanks for the advice, all, but I'm still missing something here. My Combat tracker only has:
    Name slot ... init box ... hp / wounds boxes... condition 1&2 and the duration of those conditions. It looks like I'm just flat-out missing a bunch of slots and can't figure out why.

It looks to me like you have fantasy grounds 1 running and what you want is fantasy grounds 2. The upgrade to FG2 is free and can be downloaded here
    Fantasy grounds 2

When you upgrade, you will have a version of FG1 and FG2 on your PC so make sure you start up the right application and not the old one.
    Last edited by mcgarnagle; July 8th, 2007 at 19:39.

If you are looking at the Demo it is still of FG1 which still gives a pretty good general idea of what the software does. FG2 is vastly improved in some areas but basically it just took what was in FG1 and made it better.

The easier way to tell with version of FG1 or FG2 is running is that FG2 has a Wyvern on the Wooden Desktop.

Thread Information