FG Spreadshirt Swag

black screen for players when moving characters

So, I've been using Unity since August or so, but tonight, we had a LOT of problems and weird things happening.

* When players would try to move their characters, their map would go completely black if LOS was on. Turning off LOS stopped the screen blacking out, but they still had trouble moving the characters.
    * When players would try to move their characters with the mouse, the character would "snap back" into place.
    I did not experience these two problems (above) but had other problems.

* We encountered lag sometimes where characters were slow to move.
    * At the end of the game, two enemies suddenly moved to a different place on the map, and took on the icon AND name of one of the players. They still had the red box around the character to show them as enemies, but on my (DM) screen and at least one player's screen, they showed up as the name and face of one of the other players.

We were playing Lost Mine of Phandelver, Wave Echo Cave (steam version). I'm on FGU unity. We play almost every week and never had these problems before.

I had the same issues last week (Thursday) and praying we won't see it this week. There was tremendous lag and it was impossible for clients to move their tokens most of the time. Tokens started reloacting themselves on teh map.After emails with support (I was sure it was server issue) I disabled the Critically Awesome Essentials and Mad Nomads Interactive Portraits hoping these were the culprit. Both of these were updated again in recent days but I'm too scared to re-activate them.

Were you running either of these? I'm also running the combat groups extension which allows me to keep all tokens in a dungeon on the map at the start and just make groups visible as we go. I've been wondering if the extra tokens are helping create lag by triggering excess LOS processing.

It's very likely the extra tokens are causing problems since depending on how your extension is implemented all tokens on the map may be doing LOS calculations.

BTW, had exactly the same issue with duplicate tokens appearing for characters. I spent the whole game cleaning up and adjusting in background... kind of hard to role play at the same time.

I suspect the lighting changes they are making is driving already high GPU loads through the roof and messing with everybody's third party applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    It's very likely the extra tokens are causing problems since depending on how your extension is implemented all tokens on the map may be doing LOS calculations.
    This may be true, but I've been running for 3 sessions with groups extension and it suddenly changed last week.

Thread Information