DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    That behavior is fundamental to the ruleset for PF2e.

You achieve a degree of success one step higher if you meet or exceed the DC by 10 or more OR if you roll a natural 20. You achieve a critical failure of you fail the DC of a check by 10 or more OR you roll a natural 1.

Here's the rules reference on the official SRD:
    https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=319

This is the case for all rolls against a DC and applies to players and enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wayward Wizard View Post
    Update: I paid closer attention to the roll results tonight and noticed that the critical misses were more frequent on secondary and third strike actions during a turn. And the dice roll wasn't a natural 1. in many cases it seemed any roll that resulted in a sum less than 10 was considered a critical miss. Is there some portion of text in the rules I am missing?
    Yup, pretty much every D20 roll has four degrees of success, the one exception to this rule that I can think of is a flat check. Although that is less that it doesn't happen and more that it doesn't matter. This is a design feature of PF2e, it lets players who debuff the enemy or buff an ally adjust the crit range of a check. Whether that check is a save, attack or even skill roll.

Keep in mind that unless something is specifically stated to happen on a critical hit nothing special will happen on it. e.g. a critical miss on a strike is no worse than a standard miss in most cases.

Link: Determine the Degree of Success and Effect
    Link: Checks (for context)

Ah, I see what FG is doing now. Because the AC of the creature is 17, sums of 7 and lower are considered a critical miss because there are triggers that happen in that circumstance. Nifty! Thanks for helping clear this up!
    "I'm banging the drum
    Your big day will come
    When they remake the Wizard of Oz."

Ultimate Game Master

In Pathfinder 2 any roll that misses by more than ten is a critical miss, just as any that exceeds by ten or more is a critical hit

Indeed, you are missing one of the the main changes in Pathfinder 2 compared to PF1!

Rolls 10 higher than the DC are critical successes, rolls 10 lower are critical misses. 20 is *not* an automatical crit, but only pushes the result one step higher (miss -> hit or hit -> critical hit). 1 is *not* an automatic failure, but only pushes the result one step lower (hit -> fail or fail -> critical fail).

This is working as intended. In 2e, any roll that fails by 10 or more is a critical failure/miss. Since the goblin pyro has an AC of 17, a result of 2 is a critical miss by a wide margin.

EDIT: Oh gosh drat it I didn't see the second page. ^^;;

Thread Information