5E Character Create Playlist

Help me technologically challanged

Script Error: [string "charwizard/scripts/sharwizard_classwindow.l..."]: 160: attempt to index local 'sSkillText ext' [a nil value]

I made a custom class and followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM it all seemed to work just fine, then I tried using the character creator and it kept popping this up. I then tried taking a blank charactersheet and adding to it, it all worked great until level 3 with the special choice, it popped up the choices and then after choosing it didn;t show the choice. I tried leveling up again and then level 4 wouldn't load it's next feature. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Solved, issue was that I didn't give a choice in skills for both multiclassing and first level. Thank you FG_Wraith for solving!
    Last edited by 97BigBen1; March 22nd, 2021 at 23:15.

I'm not sure whether the Character Wizard fully supports homebrewed classes. Does everything work correctly via drag and drop?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by 97BigBen1 View Post
    Script Error: [string "charwizard/scripts/sharwizard_classwindow.l..."]: 160: attempt to index local 'sSkillText ext' [a nil value]

I made a custom class and followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM it all seemed to work just fine, then I tried using the character creator and it kept popping this up. I then tried taking a blank charactersheet and adding to it, it all worked great until level 3 with the special choice, it popped up the choices and then after choosing it didn;t show the choice. I tried leveling up again and then level 4 wouldn't load it's next feature. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.
    Hi 97BigBen1,

If you could send me the text of your custom class, I could help you with the error.
    There are certain phrases the program looks for that are set by the wording in the official classes. If you don't use the same wording the program won't know what to do with the class. (Though it shouldn't throw that error either, so thank you for reporting that!)

Also, the thread for Character Wizard bugs can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Reports-(2020)

Looking forward to your custom class text so we can get this resolved!

Quote Originally Posted by FG_Wraith View Post
    Hi 97BigBen1,

If you could send me the text of your custom class, I could help you with the error.
    There are certain phrases the program looks for that are set by the wording in the official classes. If you don't use the same wording the program won't know what to do with the class. (Though it shouldn't throw that error either, so thank you for reporting that!)

Also, the thread for Character Wizard bugs can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Reports-(2020)

Looking forward to your custom class text so we can get this resolved!
    HD Per level : 1d8 per falconer class level
    Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
    Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
    Choose three from Animal Handling, Perception, Survival, Acrobatics, Nature, Medicine
    Tools: Blank
    Weapons: Simple weapons, longbows, hand crossbows, heavy crossbows, light crossbows
    Multi class (I haven't checked if this works yet)
    Armor: Light armor
    Skills: Animal Handling
    Weapons: Hand crossbows, light crossbows, heavy crossbows
    this is what I have for the main part and then the features are kinda long would you like to see them?

You have skills in twice.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I have skills in the choose from 3 and skills in the multiclassing section, I just forgot to label the "Choose three..." as the skill section form the top of the box

Quote Originally Posted by 97BigBen1 View Post
    HD Per level : 1d8 per falconer class level
    Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
    Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
    Choose three from Animal Handling, Perception, Survival, Acrobatics, Nature, Medicine
    Tools: Blank
    Weapons: Simple weapons, longbows, hand crossbows, heavy crossbows, light crossbows
    Multi class (I haven't checked if this works yet)
    Armor: Light armor
    Skills: Animal Handling
    Weapons: Hand crossbows, light crossbows, heavy crossbows
    this is what I have for the main part and then the features are kinda long would you like to see them?

Thanks for the information. Here's what I entered in main;

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d8 per Falconer Level

Hit Points At 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier

Hit Points At Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Test level after 1st

Proficiencies

Armor: Light Armor, medium Armor, shields

Skills: Choose two from Animal Handling, Athletics, Nature, Perception, and Survival

Equipment

You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your backgrouns:

* (a) scale mail or (a) leather armor

* (a) two short swords or (b) two simple weapons

* (a) an explorer's pack or (b) entertainer's pack

A longbow and a quiver of 20 arrows

Here's what I entered in other;

HD Per Level 1d8
    Saving Throws Dexterity, Intelligence
    Skills Choose two from Animal Handling, Athletics, Nature, Perception, and Survival
    Tools
    Weapons Simple weapons, longbows, hand crossbows, heavy crossbows, light crossbows
    MULTI-CLASS PROFICIENCIES
    Armor Light Armor, medium armor, shields
    Skills Choose one from Animal Handling, Athletics, Nature, Perception, and Survival
    Tools
    Weapons Simple weapons, longbows, hand crossbows, heavy crossbows, light crossbows

Everything seems to work fine. (Though I did add specializations for it, but it isn't needed. If you encounter an error with that, let me know.)
    The problem you were having is because there aren't any classes in 5E that list a single skill, so the program is expecting a choice. Once I entered a small group of skills taken from the Ranger class it worked fine.

When you make the features, do be aware that the Ability Score Improvements at 4, 8, 12, 14, 16, and 19 must be made separately and must be named "Ability Score Improvement"

Also note, that unlike some official class features, nothing you add in a custom class will automatically change the character sheet. For example if you have a 2nd level feature that grants an automatic +2 AC (nice feature!) then it will not automatically add +2 AC to a character made with this custom class. You will need to do that manually as the program must already have a name for a feature in place that it knows has special functions to do to the character automatically and there's just no way to know what feature does what coming from custom sources.

Please let me know if this works for you, and if you have any further problems, remember, I'm always here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Reports-(2020)
    Last edited by FG_Wraith; March 22nd, 2021 at 23:07.

Thank you! You have solved it!

My pleasure. Now go peck out some poor Orc's eyes. Go for the eyes, You! Go for the eyes!

Thread Information