DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Vision range?

Vision range?

I wonder if there is lost by any of the Rolemaster books the distance that the races are able to see, I ask this because I saw that some herbs increase the senses, but to know how much it increases I need a base and also so that I can configure the Beta Resource of FGU which is vision and light.
    Of the objects that emit light I have already seen in the description, but in the races I did not find the range of vision, I looked only in the Rolemaster Classic - Character Law.

I'm not sure which edition of Rolemaster you are talking about. In Role Master 2E's Character Law/Campaign Law in chapter 6 (Races and Cultures) it says the following:

Dwarf - "They have superior dark sight, able to see far in caves which humans would consider pitch black (up to 50' in even the most dimly lit cavern, but not as well as Elves outdoors).
    Elf - "Their senses are extremely keen, especially their hearing and sight: they are able to see, on a clear, star or moonlit night, as if full daylight. Their vision is correspondingly restricted with less light, down to a few feet in what a man would call pitch black."
    Orc - "Only at night can they see well, with vision like the Elves."

That's all I can find as RM doesn't really seem to focus on vision. I would suggest the dwarven dark sight is identical to D&D's infravision except a range of 50'. Unlike D&D, I believe there is a distinction between how dwarves see underground and how elves see. In a mine, or underground, I'm not sure elven vision is really effective. Certainly not as effective a dwarven dark sight. The rules for elves and orcs are pretty vague (in this edition, at least). Essentially, elven/orc night vision is the equivalent to their daylight vision. Rules As Written there would seem to suggest this is only the case when there is moon/starlight. What happens to elf/orc vision when it's overcast/raining/snowing?
    Last edited by JonStormbringer; March 15th, 2021 at 11:55.

So I did a little internet search to see if I could find a better answer. I really didn't find much, but did find this (Disclaimer: I'm not sure what this is--whether it's official or not): https://skippern.github.io/iRoleMast...oks/5500A.html

Once on this page, I hit Control+F to find instances of the word "night"

Elves: "Night Sight: Elves are able to see on a star-lit or moonlit night, as if full it were daylight. Their vision is restricted with less light—with any light source, they can see 50' perfectly and 100' fairly well. However, in absolute darkness they are no better than Men."

Common Orc: Common Orcish vision in most darkness is as good as a Man’s during the height of day. When there is barely any light (cloudy, moonless nights; upper caverns, dungeons), Common Orcs can see at least 50' perfectly and fairly well up to 100'. In absolute darkness, they can see 10’.

Greater Orc: Greater Orcs operate freely in daylight, and their vision in most darkness is as good as a Man’s during the height of day. When there is barely any light (cloudy, moonless nights; upper caverns, dungeons), Greater Orcs can see at least 30' perfectly and fairly well up to 75'. In absolute darkness, they can see 10'.

Dwarf: Dwarves see well in extreme darkness. In the dimmest light, they can see 50' perfectly, and fairly well up to 100'. They can see 10' in total darkness (non-magical).

Half Elves: Half-elves can see extremely well in the dark. Under moonlight or starlight they can see perfectly for 500'. In other darkness situations they see as Elves do (50' to 100' if a light source is available).

Half-Orc: Half-orcish vision in most darkness is at least 300'. When there is barely any light (cloudy, moonless nights; upper caverns, dungeons), Half-orcs can see at least 25' perfectly and fairly well up to 50'. In absolute darkness, they can still see 5'.

Hope that helps a little more than my original post.

Yes, it helped a lot!
    We are using a mix of Rolemaster Classic, I think it's 5.0 or 5.5 and MERP and that helped a lot to test the lighting and vision in the Rolemaster

In perfect conditions, though, please remember *not* to penalize characters above at all, giving them up to 3 miles of vision distance.

The Earth curves about 8 inches per mile. As a result, on a flat surface with your eyes 5 feet or so off the ground, the farthest edge that you can see is about 3 miles away.”

What are perfect conditions?
    -As said above, for Elves, it is *literally* a few pinpricks of light from stars or a moon. In an otherwise dark cavern - local light sources like torches are more than enough to give this Nightvision out to full range.
    -Half-Elves under similar conditions get 500’.

Nothing in complete black/darkness, though.

-Dwarves and (Half)Orcs get this in nigh-darkness(3-500’) with the odd bit of glowing moss or light source(clouds hiding a moon), also, but in complete darkness they have from 5-10’.

Spread the word.

Thread Information