5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 6 of 25 First ... 4567816 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    One of the questions I always try to consider in these sorts of situations is whether my modern day bias is influencing what I think is "reasonable".
    Now, we are talking about a fantasy world, not medieval times; but I think the same arguments still hold for lighting. It's just too labor-prohibitive to expect any place people are not working to be lit.

Regards,
    JPG
    Absolutely. Therefore how about when not described; rooms where NPCs are should probably have light. Rooms w/o NPCs would have no lights.

Last edited by LordEntrails; March 18th, 2021 at 04:53.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I can get behind that system of thought

Yeah, I would say living areas with people in them should have lights if they can't see in the dark. Historically bedrooms were not lit if there were not people in them unless someone was very wealthy.

That said, as an developer that has worked with a fair number of maps, I can tell you the cartographer is not always going to follow the descriptions of the rooms for any number of reasons and if the map has an obvious light source - it that area should have some lighting.

I think the consensus here can be summarised

1. Stick to the written word wherever possible
    2. Understand that there can be discrepancies between what's written and what's on the actual map
    3. Add lighting to areas where creatures without special vision are to be found - even if the written word omits mention of light.

As far as 3 is concerned we're not talking about a whole dungeon - we're only talking about a room or rooms where creatures who wouldn't be able to see in the dark without lights should have some light source. We can imagine that a human making their way through a dark area is carrying a light source and when they arrive at their destination in the dungeon they put that source on a table or a sconce or some such.

In suggesting that we follow this idea through I'm accepting that some DMs won't like this but equally a lot will be saying there should be light. So we can't please everyone. I think however it's a reasonable thing to look out for when adding lights to a map.
    Last edited by ddavison; March 18th, 2021 at 14:46.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

At least it will be easy describing a room to a party full of characters with Darkvision.

"It's grey"

Blog Entries
    Zacchaeus is spot on. The only change is that I modified point 3 to say it is okay to add light where lighting information is "omitted". That means that if the module specifically states that there is no light, then don't add light even if humans normally occupy the space. If the module doesn't mention lighting, then we are essentially using our best judgment.

I will also add that there are a lot of maps with ancient dungeons and wall sconces or braziers that may not have been lit for hundreds of years. In some modules, they mention that the area is in complete darkness. I saw one suggestion to still add lights to those areas but then to turn them off. This seems like a reasonable accommodation since players could re-ignite those areas.

Didn’t everyone have Googles of night?

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Zacchaeus is spot on. The only change is that I modified point 3 to say it is okay to add light where lighting information is "omitted". That means that if the module specifically states that there is no light, then don't add light even if humans normally occupy the space. If the module doesn't mention lighting, then we are essentially using our best judgment.

I will also add that there are a lot of maps with ancient dungeons and wall sconces or braziers that may not have been lit for hundreds of years. In some modules, they mention that the area is in complete darkness. I saw one suggestion to still add lights to those areas but then to turn them off. This seems like a reasonable accommodation since players could re-ignite those areas.
    This is exactly what I did for the Mummy's Mask crypts, they mention unlit torches in several spots. So I placed the lights in those areas and then turned them off.

I think (and a quick Google search) that candles and oil lamps were more common for light sources in rooms which last longer. Torches were used rarely for such things (the one hour duration in many PnP games is also very optimistic in that regard seemingly; torches are really bad light fixtures also back then) For guards it may have been also better to avoid using too many light sources such that they can accomodate their eyes to the darkness (especially for outside with moonlight etc.; humans can actually see "well" in the dark outside given some time (~1 hour?) for waiting until their eyes got used to the darkness, if I googled that well ). But that is just guessing, I am by far not an expert in what peoples used back then
    Last edited by Kelrugem; March 20th, 2021 at 01:55.

Pathfinder 1 Skull & Shackles 1 Wormwood Mutiny

Here are the S&S AP1 Maps. I am still planning to do the Mummy's Mask Touch ups Sunday along with any touch ups to these you would like.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information