5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

GM has installed FGU new- all class features/backrounds gone?

Hi,

my GM has installed FGU new and my new (own created) class and backround is gone- I had sent him an character.xml with my backround/class but after import in his campaign the class and backround is blank- any idea? Similar if I try to import the char from my own directory.

Thanks
    micael

The records do not necessarily export with the character sheet. Creating a module and sharing your work with your GM might fix this issue. The wording, format, and such will need to be created properly as well if there is functional verbiage and leveling features.
    Last edited by Laerun; September 16th, 2023 at 13:29.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

how do I create a module only for a new backround and class?

Quote Originally Posted by micael View Post
    how do I create a module only for a new backround and class?
    Class:
    https://youtu.be/oa9CbtYiCJs?si=H3HdeqOcSScmJ2g0

Backgrounds are simpler and less complicated, but the approach is similar. It would also be a bit easier if the GM created these assets for you.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Seems that the problem is not really clear- I already have created a class and backround- its in another campaign and I want to transfer this information to the GM campaign (it was already there but during new installation of the GM campaign it was lost somehow)- I donīt want to create this again- similar the GM donīt want to do it- how can I export this information and import it- copy paste is not possible it seems..
    Last edited by micael; September 16th, 2023 at 13:45.

When you join your DM's campaign you will get the character selection screen. Click on the blue import button at the bottom of that screen; this will bring up a list of all the characters you have on your local machine. Select the one that you want and it will get added to the campaign.

If this doesn't work then we'll need more details like how did you create the character in the first place and where and how did you create the class, background etc.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    If I understand correctly...

When you create a class and background, they are specific to a campaign. When you add them to a character, they are only links to the entry in the campaign.

Can Mr. Z or someone verify I'm correct with that?

If so, then when you move characters between campaigns, you only move the link, to something that doesn't exist in the new campaign. The GM need to go back to there old campaign and make a module with the class and background, and then open that in the new campaign, then the links in the character will work as expected.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    If I understand correctly...

When you create a class and background, they are specific to a campaign. When you add them to a character, they are only links to the entry in the campaign.

Can Mr. Z or someone verify I'm correct with that?

If so, then when you move characters between campaigns, you only move the link, to something that doesn't exist in the new campaign. The GM need to go back to there old campaign and make a module with the class and background, and then open that in the new campaign, then the links in the character will work as expected.
    Yes the Class and background are just links. But it would seem that the character worked prior to the DM changing computers which suggests that either a module was created already with the class and background and the DM hasn't copied over that module; or the player created the class using their own module and the DM gave the player permission to use that module. So that's why I was asking how the class and background were created. A player can't create their own class and background when joined to the DM so either they or the DM created the class and background and exported to a module somewhere along the line. Additionally the links should still show on the character sheet and when clicked on there should be a message in chat asking if they want to open the module.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I created the character backround and class in my own campaign and used it for my PC but was never able to transfer it to my GMs campaign- any idea how to do it? Because its so long ago I donīt know how my GM got infos- the class and backround are completely empty in his campaign with only a name but no text inside.
    Last edited by micael; September 16th, 2023 at 20:35.

When you create a character the class, background and race (and some other things) are just links to the source material. So, for example, if you create a character using the PHB then you can open that character in any campaign where the PHB is available (by that I mean you have the PHB open in the campaign). If, when you created your character, the class and background exist only in the same campaign you created the character in then the links to the class and background will link only to the data in that campaign. The character can't be used anywhere else because you cannot link to another campaign. You can only link to modules.

Thus, in order to use your character in someone else's campaign, the class and background will need to exist in a module. This module can either be one of the DMs creation which they share with you; or it can be a module of your own creation which the DM allows you to use.

So, in short, the only way to use the class and background in any campaign is if they are in a module. Since you created the class and background you will need to create the module by exporting from the campaign that you created the class and background in. Export it as a player module. When you join the DMs campaign they will see your module in their activation screen and can give you permission to use it.

As things stand at the moment you will not be able to use the character in your DMs campaign because the class and background cannot be accessed. Once you create the module as described above you will need to remake the character using your module in order to use that character in the DMs campaign.

Thread Information