DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Character options. Unified view

Hi all.
    Is there a way to have a unified view of character options that are scattered across different manuals?
    For example if I want to look up rules for a class I can do so via the 'Classes' button but I have to choose the source manual.
    Is there a way to see, for instance, all the Fighter fighting styles in one window?
    And what about when levelling up? Which class link should I drag if I want to have access to all the options?

Thanks,

Blog Entries
    I haven't used the Character Wizard yet, but maybe it has such capabilities?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by caste381 View Post
    Hi all.
    Is there a way to have a unified view of character options that are scattered across different manuals?
    For example if I want to look up rules for a class I can do so via the 'Classes' button but I have to choose the source manual.
    Is there a way to see, for instance, all the Fighter fighting styles in one window?
    And what about when levelling up? Which class link should I drag if I want to have access to all the options?

Thanks,
    The Character Wizard does group all of the options available to you from all of your sources. Right now, all of the Race options have links on their selection buttons you can open to get more details. Now that the resizable window has been returned to the Character Wizard and there is more room to add the link buttons back in, I will be adding the links back to the Classes and Backgrounds as well.

As far as the sub-options such as Fighter Fighting Styles, again the Race page gives links to these but I will also be adding the links to any future additions to grouped Specialization or Class options such as Fighter Fighting Styles.

Thank you both.
    Yeah, having the links unified under classes and backgrounds would be great!
    Thank you

Hi all.

Thanks,
    If you are using drag and drop then I'd always suggest that you drag from the PHB. When you get to the correct level then all of the archetypes will pop up from any modules you have open. The only class which isn't in the PHB is the Artificer which can be found in Eberron Rising from the Last War and in Tasha's (with Tasha being the latest version).

Now having said all that if you have Tasha's then you might want to drag in from that volume since that added in several options into the base class which none of the other modules do (they only add archetypes). In some cases (like fighting styles) you will have to look in both Tasha's and thhe PHB to see them all. For obvious reasons there's no way to combine these into one module.

Te character Wizard will help with all of this as @FG_Wraith points out.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for adding these links, it make the Wizard much more user friendly for less experienced players who don't yet know what all the options are ahead of time.

Thank you both.
    Yeah, having the links unified under classes and backgrounds would be great!
    Thank you
    You're welcome. Thank you for bringing it up. it's a great idea and I think there's more room for improvement in addition to, as well as, what you mention here. I'll be looking at providing a more comprehensive grouping of information during the creation and levelling process.
    Last edited by FG_Wraith; March 9th, 2021 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    If you are using drag and drop then I'd always suggest that you drag from the PHB. When you get to the correct level then all of the archetypes will pop up from any modules you have open. The only class which isn't in the PHB is the Artificer which can be found in Eberron Rising from the Last War and in Tasha's (with Tasha being the latest version).

Now having said all that if you have Tasha's then you might want to drag in from that volume since that added in several options into the base class which none of the other modules do (they only add archetypes). In some cases (like fighting styles) you will have to look in both Tasha's and thhe PHB to see them all. For obvious reasons there's no way to combine these into one module.

Te character Wizard will help with all of this as @FG_Wraith points out.
    Thanks Zacchaeus. I have all the sourcebooks. Should I then expect different behaviour when levelling up dragging from the PHB rather than TCE?
    Is it a general rule that newer books will incrementally add to the previous ones?
    I might be wrong but I don’t think I have access to XGE if I don’t use that specific source when dragging.
    Thank you.

For classes and races if you drag a class or race in from the PHB and you have Xanathar, Volo, SCAG et al loaded then you will get all the archetypes for whatever class you dragged in and all the sub races for whatever race you dragged in no matter which module they appear in. You'll also see all the optional abilities from the class that are in Tasha's. What you won't get is races which only appear in a module other than the PHB such as those from Volo; so if you want to choose a race that's not in the PHB you'd have to find it in another volume. As mentioned above the classes did not change in any way up to Tasha; the only things added were archetypes and FG looks for these archetypes in every module you have open when you are dragging in a class (no matter where you drag it from).

But the character Wizard is probably something you should check out because it does consolidate things and if you are struggling with options (and there are an awful lot of them now) then that will help narrow things down for you.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    For classes and races if you drag a class or race in from the PHB and you have Xanathar, Volo, SCAG et al loaded then you will get all the archetypes for whatever class you dragged in and all the sub races for whatever race you dragged in no matter which module they appear in. You'll also see all the optional abilities from the class that are in Tasha's. What you won't get is races which only appear in a module other than the PHB such as those from Volo; so if you want to choose a race that's not in the PHB you'd have to find it in another volume. As mentioned above the classes did not change in any way up to Tasha; the only things added were archetypes and FG looks for these archetypes in every module you have open when you are dragging in a class (no matter where you drag it from).

But the character Wizard is probably something you should check out because it does consolidate things and if you are struggling with options (and there are an awful lot of them now) then that will help narrow things down for you.
    Oh, ok. That’s clear now. Thank you. The character wizard is indeed very good.
    I guess the biggest ‘inconvenience’ for me now remains when I want to quickly reference character options (not when levelling up).
    Right now I use DND beyond as I find the search functionality easier across different manuals.

Thread Information