STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

NPC would threshold

Most of the NPC's I drop into combat tracker are incapacitated after a single wound. Is there any way to up their threshold? The PC's get three before incapacitation, I want that for the NPC's I drop in as well. That being said, is there any way to up the number of wounds past three one can sustain whether it be a PC or an NPC?
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Make the NPC a wild card. In Savage Worlds extras have 1 Wound and Wild Cards gave 3. There are Edges / monstrous abilities and Size modifiers to number of wounds

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    Make the NPC a wild card. In Savage Worlds extras have 1 Wound and Wild Cards gave 3. There are Edges / monstrous abilities and Size modifiers to number of wounds
    Thanks! Can you elaborate a bit, though? Are you saying make the NPC an actual PC with a PC record sheet? Or is there a setting to turn it into a wild card? Sorry, still a bit new to Savage Worlds.
    Last edited by Niles; March 7th, 2021 at 19:25.

No. There's an icon in the top left I think (sorry not at computer) that's either light (extra) or dark (wild card). On a copy of an NPC (assuming you're using the built-in NPCs which aren't directly editable) you can toggle it on or off. Take a look at the Dragon as it's a wild card to understand what I mean.

To copy something just drag and drop it back into the NPCs. You can then unlock it (padlock in top right) to make changes to it.

Keep in mind Savage Worlds assumes most NPCs are extras with only a few as Wild Cards. Besides having extra wounds they also roll Wild Die. Unlike D&D you tend to throw more extras into am encounter than giving more "hitpoints" to things

Blog Entries
    Thank you again for the help. May I ask, the icon is at the top left of their stat sheet?

Give me a second to go to m computer ... wife is giving me a dirty look

Sorry, I don't have time to do screenshots, but if you open the NPC button you'll see a list of NPCs. In front of the name of the NPC will be an icon (what that icon is might change based on the setting you are using...by default it looks like a globe with a flaming sword through it). Most of the monsters in the default list have a grey icon, but, the dragon (as I mentioned previously) is black (plus a few more like giant worm, lich, orc chieftan, etc). Black means it's a Wild card. Opening a NPC, I see I was remembering wrong. It's in the name field all the way to the right. If the NPC is unlocked you can click on it and toggle whether or not it's a wild card.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    Sorry, I don't have time to do screenshots, but if you open the NPC button you'll see a list of NPCs. In front of the name of the NPC will be an icon (what that icon is might change based on the setting you are using...by default it looks like a globe with a flaming sword through it). Most of the monsters in the default list have a grey icon, but, the dragon (as I mentioned previously) is black (plus a few more like giant worm, lich, orc chieftan, etc). Black means it's a Wild card. Opening a NPC, I see I was remembering wrong. It's in the name field all the way to the right. If the NPC is unlocked you can click on it and toggle whether or not it's a wild card.
    Thank you again! I've seen that icon. And sorry you got dirty looks from your other half trying to look that up. I've gotten that look from mine a time or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Thank you again! I've seen that icon. And sorry you got dirty looks from your other half trying to look that up. I've gotten that look from mine a time or two!
    It is by design - most NPCs are extra's - think the guy in Star Trek that goes on away missions for one episode only, because he is going to die - Wild Cards are tougher and have their own Bennies to spend! The players are meant to be special, so they usually kill extra's off no problem.... unless the Extra aces a lot in which case - bye bye Wild Card player.

Yeah, exactly. It's one thing to make one wolf a Wild Card as it's the pack leader, but really you shouldn't make the whole pack wild cards. That's not really the Savage Worlds way...giving things lots of "hit points" is more d20 mindset

Thread Information