5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Freezing in various circumstances, can easily repeat it

For context, this is a transferred over campaign from Fantasy Grounds Classic. As far as I know, that shouldn't cause issues but I wanted to mention it just in case.

Whenever I am typing up a story window, it begins to freeze more and more as it fills up. For the first few lines, there are no issues/it is negligible but even after a paragraph it is noticeable and hampering my experience. Once I have a rather large one, it begins freezing every 5 seconds for 1 second at a time. It's still registering what I type, it just takes 1 second to input it all in at once.

When I have a map open, it will freeze every 11 seconds or so for 1 second. It's more noticeable when I am dragging it around, but it can be a huge issue in combat when trying to do targeting and movement. In my example video I dragged it around so that it was easily visible. This freezes not just the map but the entire program.

When I open up an Action tab for a player, be it as a player or a DM, the action tab takes a rather long time to load. Once a PC has an Action Tab open, the frame rate of the character sheet specifically gets lower the more things they have in there. A Prepared Casters sheet looks a lot more choppy compared to one that isn't. This is only when the Action Tab is open. It takes awhile to open it every time you open it. This makes switching between Inventory and Actions a pain.

I didn't show this one in my example video, but the same happens when interacting with NPC stat blocks, they will freeze occasionally.

I didn't show this one either since I thought of it after the fact, but when I roll dice it begins to slow down. It will freeze the entire program as it tries to calculate the result, and it will take a rather long time attempting to do that. The more dice, the longer it takes. This can be a big problem for spells like Fireball or a Paladin using their Divine Smite at higher levels

You can find my example video here. I have it time stamped in the description so you can easily find the examples.

No themes
    No extensions
    Latest update, but has been happening for months. I was hoping this was a problem already reported, but it may be specific for me.
    Latest version of Windows 10 20H2, but it was happening in previous versions as well.
    Campaign Folder size is 492MB as of typing this post. I can upload it to a GDrive if you need it.

These problems do not exist in Fantasy Grounds Classic, I can take this campaign and have it all work perfectly there.

My computer specs for reference:

RTX 3070 Graphics Card, although I can replicate it with a GTX 1070
    Ryzen 3600 CPU, replicated the issue with a Intel i7-4770K with either of the above graphics cards.
    A 1TB TLC NVMe drive that is pretty empty, so the cache for that is still rather large. It shouldn't have any read/write problems here.

If there are other hardware parts that may affect this, let me know and I can share what I have.

Reference Video with time stamps for easy reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUz50IMnT4

Do the same things happen if you create a new empty campaign?
    Yes?: Probably somehting with FGU or your setup
    No?: Probably somehting faulty in your campagin

Btw, your FGU is about a month old and not up to date, but should not matter too much.

I though v4.0.10 was the latest version? I didn't have the Core Ruleset updated though you are correct. That is updated now, But no overall change there.

I created a new campaign just now, no modules open or anything. Opened up a Story Window, and put in a lot of text. As I added more and more text it began to lag more and more. To the point of where it would lag every 2 seconds once enough text was in it. I have tested this on a fresh install as well, with multiple graphics cards and CPUS. I was able to replicate this on a completely different computer entirely, with a different Windows Install. I also freshly installed Windows between when I was first having this and now and that didn't improve it.

I just created some Story Entries in a 5E vanilla campaign, can't really replicate.
    I used some 5000-7000 words from Lorem Ipsum, just plain text. The only thing which is slower to a new clean entry is that when I press and hold a key, the rest is as snappy.
    Strange Problem...

I wonder if it's the sheer volume of some of the data you have or the windows you have open. Are you running any extensions?
    What windows are open when you see this issue? Does it happen before you open any other windows?

Regards,
    JPG

No Extensions. except for "Feature: D&D - Official Language Font (FR)" but it happens with it off as well.

I can open up an entirely new campaign from scratch, with no modules open. Once I start typing into a story module, it will start lagging over time. I made a story module as thin as possible so I could accurately count the number of lines before I saw lagging. It was around line 60 that I was noticing it. I then opened up a few adventure modules to see how many story modules go above 60 lines in a story module and it is quite a bit.

I can replicate the issue with just a single story module in a fresh, new campaign created minutes before. This happens on various machines with different hardware and fresh installs. It happens even if FGU is the only program open.

When I open up a module on a fresh campaign, click the button on the right side labeled "Story" and drag that window around. It will lag every once in awhile, not registering any inputs I put in.

It doesn't seem to happen before I open up any windows. If I am just looking at the FGU "desktop" for lack of a better word, it will run smoothly. Once I open something, over time as I add more to it, it will get more and more laggy.

I have since looked at it a bit more since my original post, using an FPS tracker. I can replicate this at 60fps and 165 fps.

With those issues I listed above, I checked the Story Module and what the framerate was when just holding a letter down. It dropped down to anywhere from 10-22 fps while typing things in. When it is a fresh story module it will run smoothly. I used Nvidia Shadowplay to track the FPS.

Something important that may help, when I took a look at my CPU usage, one of the Threads of my CPU was working really hard. Much much more then the rest of them. I've attached a screenshot of that, as well as my GPU usage. That spike in usage in the middle is when I closed FGU. The CPU Thread 3rd from the left, on the top row is the one that is working extra hard. It started going really high when loading PC action tabs, after after loading each character it went down and normalized at that amount of usage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Currently, FGU is a mostly single threaded program. It won't use multiple cores/threads.

Quote Originally Posted by DCrumb View Post
    Currently, FGU is a mostly single threaded program. It won't use multiple cores/threads.
    It's more to show just how much it's using when it just has *only* the PC action tabs open. That's a lot of Thread work for just some PC character sheets. A Ryzen 3600 is newish, just a single CPU generation old. It seems odd it needs to work that hard for what it is loading.

I'm not sure on the split between CPU and GPU, but it might be doing a lot of the work in the CPU for all of the graphics for the regular panels.

Did some additional tests for this. Installed FGU on a completely new PC setup, with different hardware and a fresh install. Loaded up the 5e sample campaign and loaded the Ravina character. I went to her Actions tab and watched the framerate while that was open. It dipped by quite a few frames. As I added spells to her just to see if additional spells would cause the issue, the framerate would dip more and more over time. When I added every sorcerer spell to her possible, just for testing purposes, when I moved her around it would cause FGU to run at 15fps. It wouldn't go any lower then 15fps, and would sit at 15fps stable. That's still not good, but it is an interesting thing to note.

Thread Information