5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Fog of war

Fog of war

I want to run a 'maze' style adventure using dynamic lighting. But part of the issue of doing so is that as the players explore the map, FG will 'save' what they've explored so they can easily plot their paths to and fro as they go along, spoiling the maze.

Is there a way to disable this? Is there an option for FG to automatically remask (hide) areas of the map that are no longer directly visible to the players? Other than me manually clicking "reset FOW" on every token after it moves I mean?

Currently, there is no way to disable FoW; though we have discussed the possibility of making an option for that in the future.

Regards,
    JPG

For this kind of situation I''d use the mask rather than LoS. It will mean remasaking areas they've been to of course so resetting LoS may well be just as easy a solution.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I concur, this would be indeed a nice option to set

Blog Entries
    So let me give you some thoughts because on FGC I did something similar when running the Undermountain.

In the beginning I wanted a very old school feel. And here I did not even let the players see the big map, I only showed maps for individual rooms/areas for battles and such. For navigating, I would verbally describe the hallways, and make them map it with graph paper and pencils etc. This was actually fun for all of us for awhile. And I actually have incorporated those hand-drawn maps (with some errors!) into treasure maps I used with later adventurers. But it gets tedious after awhile (~20 four-hour sessions).

We then moved on to me showing them the master map, and revealing (via mask) the parts that they moved through. It changed the 'flavor' of the campaign. Put less emphasis on the unknown and the sense of getting lost, and gave us more time for combat and exploring the unknown/undiscovered.

In the end, I enjoy both methods, just make sure your players are in for the way you are going to run it, and don't hesitate to change it if people are tired of one-way.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I did something similar to LordEntrails with FGC in Undermountain and Dungeon Under the Mountain which both have teleport traps and tricks. I had the *players* create their map from me describing the area ("You are in a corridor, and 50' away is a wall, T-intersection... Room 30' x 40', one door in the middle of the north wall... stuff) and I had them use shared tokens for different lengths of walls and doors so multiple players could place the walls. I found it was actually faster in some cases since multiple players were building the map instead of just me. They made the normal mistakes and were fooled by the teleport traps but the map still did its job and allow them to get from one place to another though they never did really always have knowledge of what the "real" floor layout was.

The problem we ran into was we eventually ended up with thousands of tokens on the map and sometimes the tokens would lose orientation. I haven't tried this approach in FGU but it's likely still viable on reasonably small areas if you think you are just going to use the mask instead of LOS anyway.

Edit I found an old screenshot of this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Griogre; March 7th, 2021 at 22:52.

Yes, would be a nice option to have only dynamic lighting and never reveal the map, save for the lighting.

This would make easier for GMs to play in labyrinths as players will have to recall the map...
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

Depending on the size of the maze another option is running it theater of the mind. Funny that Undermountain came first to my mind when I read this thread, but I also recently used theater of the mind to a mist filled area of caves an passages with visibility of 10 or 20 feet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Neuro* View Post
    Yes, would be a nice option to have only dynamic lighting and never reveal the map, save for the lighting.

This would make easier for GMs to play in labyrinths as players will have to recall the map...
    Add it to the wish list if you want it considered
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Always make right turns... And chalk all intersections.

Thread Information