5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Disconnecting from board taking very long time

I've noticed a strange problem with FG Classic lately, in that it is taking non-GM accounts (even a second instance of FG run on the GM's computer) a very long time (~45 seconds) to disconnect from my campaign. This isn't a problem at the end of a game, since everyone is just quitting the program and it doesn't really matter how long the disconnect takes on the GM's side. But when a player needs to log out and log back in for whatever reason, it can become a real drag, and people always think their FG is crashing or hung up it takes so long. It also makes testing extension functionality and other prep pretty annoying when I have to wait so long between tests.

I've disabled all extensions without any change, so it's not extension related. Sames goes for modules. On the other hand, I tested with a blank campaign, and this time my second FG instance had no problems and disconnected instantly. So something about my main campaign is causing this delay, but I have no idea how to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does FG have to "unload" any data for players before they can safely disconnect? I think this has only been happening in the last few months, I don't recall having issues like this before.
    Last edited by Rades; March 6th, 2021 at 05:38.

Blog Entries
    FG has to save data when exiting. For a player this is into the local campaign cache. But I don't recall it ever taking that long. Can you give us details to try and reproduce?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I would love to, and that's sort of my problem -- what kind of details would be useful here? I do have a fairly large campaign folder, but I make sure to keep the number of shared entries down to a minimum, so I didn't think that would be a factor. I do have a lot of story, item, NPC, encounter, etc entries.

Oh, I noticed my db.xml file is 21mb. With what you said, maybe this is too large, if it is having to save each time a player exits?

21 Mb is astronomically huge. The biggest db file I have is from a campaign which has been running for nearly 2 years and is less than 2Mb. I don't know how much of the db gets saved on the players side but the size of your campaign must be a factor.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hmm. This campaign started in 2015 so it does have a lot of stuff that's built up over the years. I'm guessing the many story files, plus also I create a ton of custom items and monsters, like having an item entry for each possible spell as a spell scroll. Do you build/use modules for things like items and NPCs? I suppose the first thing I should do is start module-archiving old story content, since that won't be used anymore.

Yes; if I were to do any heavy additions to a campaign then I'd have a creation campaign where all that gets built and then exported to a module for use in the play campaign. However it sounds a bit late for you to be thinking about a creation campaign if it's been going that long.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Okay, well at least now I know what is likely causing these long disconnect times, and I can start slowly archiving bits and pieces to reduce the db.xml size. I'd always given a lot of care to filesizes of images, but never really realized the random created entries would inflate the db file so much! Or that it saves when a player disconnects, and not just when the GM shuts down the board. But knowing these things will help me try to fix this - I archived one chapter and the db.xml file size dropped by 1 mb. Going to be a long process, haha. Thanks for the info!

Thread Information