FG Spreadshirt Swag

DM and Player view on same PC?

Hello all! I'm new to FGU, and FG in general, and I'm wanting to know if I can have a session where a player can have their own player view instance or window on the same PC as me? The reason being is that my group consists of 4 players, 3 of which will be connecting online but the other is my spouse in the same home, we only have one desktop and the other device is a chromebook. So can I have a session where the others are connected but when it comes to my spouse I can either give them their separate view via a window or just switch from dm view to player view when it's their turn in combat? Thanks for your help!

Yes you can. Start the first instance and load a campaign. Then right click on the FG icon on the taskbar and select fantasy grounds. This will start a second instance. Click on join and in Classic type localhost in the second box and then start. In unity type your username in the join by dm box if you are running a loud game or localhost in the join by ip box if you are running a LAN game.

And welcome to FG.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Awesome, thank you! That was my only concern with this, I wasn't sure if I could have a session where my other players can connect and I could share views or instances with my SO on the same PC, but it's great to hear I can!

Okay so I'm using Unity not classic, when I click LAN and type in localhost for the second instance it's not able to connect. Does this only work with FG Classic?

When you start the first instance, are you also choosing LAN, or Cloud?

If you are choosing Cloud, then all clients must connect using Cloud. You cannot have some connected via Cloud and some connected via LAN.

If Cloud, you can still make it work, you just need to find your game in the list of games.

If your host session is LAN then type localhost in the connect by IP address box. If you are using the Cloud for the host session then type your username into the Join by DM box. Make sure you are typing the connection info into the correct box.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi:
    This was answered over a year ago by Zacchaeus. I just found it and used it today!
    Thanks Zacchaeus and OP, Squatch31
    Thanks Bruce!

Hi BruceP,
    if you are not afraid of modifying a lua file you can have both combat trackers in the DM view. You need to unpack CoreRPG, and modify the "data_desktop.lua" file in the scripts subfolder. Make sure the "aCoreDesktopStack" starts with this:

Code:
    aCoreDesktopStack = 
    {
    	["host"] =
    	{
    		{
    			sIcon = "sidebar_icon_link_ct",
    			tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_ct",
    			class="combattracker_host",
    			path="combattracker",
    		},
    		{
    			class="combattracker_client",
    			path="combattracker",
    		},
    This comes very handy of you test your own ruleset as you can reload the ruleset without the need to reconnect a client every time.
    Last edited by Mephisto; October 31st, 2022 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    Hi BruceP,
    if you are not afraid of modifying a lua file ...

This comes very handy of you test your own ruleset as you can reload the ruleset without the need to reconnect a client every time.
    Hi Mephisto:
    Thanks for the reply. I am not afraid to modify a lua file (not that I have ever heard of one before). I will give it a try. It will take a while as I am busy with other stuff at the moment.
    Bruce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    Hi BruceP,
    if you are not afraid of modifying a lua file you can have both combat trackers in the DM view. You need to unpack CoreRPG, and modify the "data_desktop.lua" file in the scripts subfolder. Make sure the "aCoreDesktopStack" starts with this:

Code:
    aCoreDesktopStack = 
    {
    	["host"] =
    	{
    		{
    			class="combattracker_host",
    			path="combattracker",
    		},
    		{
    			class="combattracker_client",
    			path="combattracker",
    		},
    I would just like to add a warning that unpacking CoreRPG will always override the current version that is in the updater. That means that you would need to re-unpack and apply your fix to that LUA file after any update of CoreRPG and you make experience strange behavior or errors after a normal update if a ruleset depends upon a new CoreRPG function or feature that isn't in your unpacked local version. A better method would be to create a small extension that modifies that feature and then you can just turn off the extension if you experience any issues after an update.

Thread Information