Joshua Stream Pre
  1. #1

    Some questions about Savage worlds and/or deadlands.

    So i went to my local game store because i heard a. It about deadlands and it sounded cool but when i looked and asked if they had it i was told that it dosent exist anymore as its now just a setting for savage worlds?

    If thats true i have a few questions

    Does noone play the older deadlands stuff anymore? Is the stuff for deadlands as a savage world setting available currently? How much would this cost me to get into the game/setting?https://9apps.ooo/
    Last edited by obadaveil82; March 9th, 2021 at 11:28.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by obadaveil82 View Post
    So i went to my local game store because i heard a. It about deadlands and it sounded cool but when i looked and asked if they had it i was told that it dosent exist anymore as its now just a setting for savage worlds?

    If thats true i have a few questions

    Does noone play the older deadlands stuff anymore? Is the stuff for deadlands as a savage world setting available currently? How much would this cost me to get into the game/setting?
    Look on the store - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=deadlands - you can see how much it costs. I think you need the Savage Worlds ruleset which is $9.99 and the Deadlands Core Rulebook which is $19.99 to be able to play.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    175
    Deadlands has a bit of history. To give you the short of it.

    1. It started as its own stand alone game. On its 20th anniversary they kickstarted a box set. But its really a collector's game at this point
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...term=deadlands

    2. Deadlands did exist in the old d20 open license craze back in the 2000s. Not recommended other than just for source material.

    3. Deadlands Reloaded came out in the 2010s and uses Savage Worlds as its backbone (ie, you need Savage Worlds + Deadlands Reloaded to play). Both are "one version back" of the current version of both Savage Worlds and Deadlands. That said, the older Deadlands material is mostly compatible with the new stuff.

    4. The current version of each is:
    Savage Worlds Adventure Edition ("SWADE").
    Here is a link to the book - https://www.peginc.com/product-category/savage-worlds/
    Here is the Fantasy Grounds Ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...?id=PEGFGSWADE

    Deadlands Weird West
    Here is the link to the book - note that the physical book is just now coming out for Kickstarter Backers. It is not in game stores at the moment: https://www.peginc.com/product-categ...ds-weird-west/
    Here is the Fantasy Grounds Version - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...hp?id=S2P10220

    There is also the Deadlands Weird West Companion. You do not need it to start - its just has more Deadlands goodies
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...hp?id=S2P10221


    Note that once you get SWADE you are set for ANY additional Savage Worlds setting. So its a 1-time $10.

  4. #4
    Mgrancey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA area
    Posts
    971
    Weird West book explains it as Savage Worlds came out of Deadlands, like how the Cypher system came out of Numenera. Wasn't playing it at time so can't personally speak about it.

    That said there are 3 editions of Deadlands.

    Classic, Reloaded, and Weird West which I just got my physical copy last week from the Kickstarter.

    Classic is pre-Savage Worlds

    Reloaded is Savage Worlds and Savage Worlds Deluxe, there might be a 1.5 SW in there before I started playing if so.

    Weird West is Adventure Edition.
    Location: Central Pa (East -5)
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by amerigoV View Post
    Deadlands has a bit of history. To give you the short of it.

    1. It started as its own stand alone game. On its 20th anniversary they kickstarted a box set. But its really a collector's game at this point
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...term=deadlands

    2. Deadlands did exist in the old d20 open license craze back in the 2000s. Not recommended other than just for source material.
    Which is a a very accurate bit of RPG history. Only thing I add at this point was the development of wargaming rules. Around about this time games Heroclicks had fostered new interest in wargaming side of the hobby. So Pinnacle wanted a fast paced set of miniatures rules and ended up creating Rail Wars. Which was simpler to learn but deep enough to replace the D20 for the purpose of wargaming. They ended up with draft one of what would become Savage Worlds.

    Quote Originally Posted by amerigoV View Post
    3. Deadlands Reloaded came out in the 2010s and uses Savage Worlds as its backbone (ie, you need Savage Worlds + Deadlands Reloaded to play). Both are "one version back" of the current version of both Savage Worlds and Deadlands. That said, the older Deadlands material is mostly compatible with the new stuff.

    4. The current version of each is:
    Savage Worlds Adventure Edition ("SWADE").
    Here is a link to the book - https://www.peginc.com/product-category/savage-worlds/
    Here is the Fantasy Grounds Ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...?id=PEGFGSWADE

    Deadlands Weird West
    Here is the link to the book - note that the physical book is just now coming out for Kickstarter Backers. It is not in game stores at the moment: https://www.peginc.com/product-categ...ds-weird-west/
    Here is the Fantasy Grounds Version - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...hp?id=S2P10220

    There is also the Deadlands Weird West Companion. You do not need it to start - its just has more Deadlands goodies
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...hp?id=S2P10221


    Note that once you get SWADE you are set for ANY additional Savage Worlds setting. So its a 1-time $10.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Fantasy Grounds Fridays Pre

Log in

Log in