Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

That's very true. As a DM, I can find players pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by warlord343 View Post
    in the world of table top i thought ppl would be more welcoming i guess i was wrong all i want is to play dnd and i cant find anyone to let me join it makes me not even want to anymore why have this if one cant even find ppl to play with
    warhorn.net do some Adventurers League stuff.

All good feedback here.

Looking back through the OP's other 5 posts in various threads, they were directly offered places or a chance to sign on, but they had to communicate with the GM via PM or outside of the thread (and that was made clear in the thread). I don't know if @warlord343 did follow up. But that's a 40% direct response rate, which is pretty good to be honest...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Often the best place to find a group is to start one and be the GM.
    Some estimates suggest there are 30 players to each GM.
    I went from not playing D&D in years, to having 2 active groups and multiple other offers to play that I had to turn down due to time constraints. All because I offered to DM. The best part? Now 3 or 4 years later I much prefer being a DM to being a player. Being a player is fun, and a good change of pace, but as a DM you get to do a lot more "playing" per session. I know that's not universal, but I highly recommend every player try DM'ing. And give it a good long time to get over the initial learning curve, because once you do, it can be ton more fun then you realized.

Warlord did reach out to me as I was looking for people to play in my campaign. I made everyone fill out an application and received over 10 responses back including his. Unfortunately, he didn't make the cut. He messaged me on Discord and I couldn't get back to him right away due to being at work and in meetings. When I was able to get to it that evening the message would not go through, letting him know he didn't make the cut.

That is on me not letting him know sooner. Patience is the key and to keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Decepticon View Post
    Warlord did reach out to me as I was looking for people to play in my campaign. I made everyone fill out an application and received over 10 responses back including his. Unfortunately, he didn't make the cut. He messaged me on Discord and I couldn't get back to him right away due to being at work and in meetings. When I was able to get to it that evening the message would not go through, letting him know he didn't make the cut.

That is on me not letting him know sooner. Patience is the key and to keep trying.
    There is a cut for being able to play D&D?

Of course not... everyone who asks to play gets to do so. Doesn't matter if the table has 6 players or 10 or 30... no problem.

Come on. We all know what he meant.

People should have more respect of people that GM for free using 4 hours of their time and maybe paying entirely for dmsguild or FG modules and have people have fun playing in a story.

Never forget guys that GMs are doing a lot of work.

And I mean A LOT.

Ok GMs have a passion in doing this, but it is important to respect the time they pour into the games.

I started playing online last May, 2020. I am almost exclusively a DM/GM with over 30 years experience. One of the differences I've found between online vs face to face is that I have experienced a lot more player turnover playing online. I don't know if other DM's have experienced the same thing or not. The first thing I did, was blame myself. My game must not be good enough to keep their attention. However, after talking with players, including asking departing players for honest critique, I found the opposite. It wasn't the game, it was just life getting in the way. Our group plays at kind of an odd time/day. So when I first began recruiting, I would take anyone that applied on a first come, first served bases. However, as we suffered through a lot of turnover, I realized I needed to be a little more selective in how I was recruiting for new players--keeping in mind that I, as DM, am looking for a core group of consistent players. I like to build epic story lines that feature character backstories in the main plotline. It's difficult to do that with high turnover. In short, developing a consistent group of players is very important to me. So I adjusted my recruiting style and have become a little more selective in players I choose to add to the table. Some of the things I, personally, am looking for (Posted in the hopes this helps other players looking for their own groups):

1. Someone that gives me an idea of their experience level with the game and Fantasy Grounds. I love to have new players, but if I know the applicants experience level, it shapes the conversation moving forward.
    2. If you ask me what the other group members are playing, it sends me a message that you are willing to be a team player.
    3. Tell me a little about yourself. I'm not asking for a biography here, but game related info. What types of games do you like, what type of character do you enjoy playing. What's your favorite setting...etc.
    4. If you were to fill out the templet presented here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Group-Listings, as far as I'm concerned you'd be a step up above everyone else.

Once I have picked a candidate, I ask them for a time to jump onto discord and have a chat. This is where I go over the campaign world, talk about our house rules and kind of give an abbreviated synopsis of what we're doing in the campaign right now. This is really the best opportunity for me as GM and the player to get a feel for each other. It's just as much about the player determining if s/he fits into our game as it is about us looking at the player for a match. If this session goes well for both of us, I'll offer the prospective player a seat at the table.

Thread Information