STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

tired of trying to find a dnd group

in the world of table top i thought ppl would be more welcoming i guess i was wrong all i want is to play dnd and i cant find anyone to let me join it makes me not even want to anymore why have this if one cant even find ppl to play with

Moved to the Tavern forum for general discussion.

Sorry you're having issues finding a game. It can definitely take a while to find a group that you fit into. Keep trying and have patience. If a group isn't welcoming and not working for you don't waste time - let them know, without drama, that it's not for you and just move on and keep looking.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    It is a challenge. Even in 5E there are far more players than their are DMs willing to run games, meaning it takes players time to find a game and sometimes they can't.

If you are up for it, consider starting your own group. Set out the expectation that you are not going to DM all the time. You will run the first adventure, but someone else has to step up to run the second. Make sure they commit to doing so, and perhaps that they even know what they are going to run.

A good discussion on this approach is here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...m-Gaming-Group

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Oh, and another good way to get involved is by signing up for online cons or the Adventurer's League. Those are first come first serve, and many are free. IT gets you known by other folks, which will often get you invites to private games.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Most groups tend to fill up quickly and then may not have any turnover/dropouts. For example, my group has been together for over a full year now and we haven't needed to fill a vacancy. Keep looking and as the others mentioned, and check out the various Cons that may come about. I would also add to look for one-shots that may interest you, even for other systems since many GM's run games using more than one system.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

I recommend the FG Pick Up Group Discord (fgpug.com) and Sleeper Island west marches style game (https://sleeperisland.eu/) for people who don't have an active group. Both don't require long term commitment, and so you can hop into a session. Then if you find a good group there it's easier to turn it into something more permanent.

Well, from the other side of the fence (The DM/GM), I have found that it can be difficult to recruit people from any one source. You may want to look at various sources to try to find a game, such as:

* The Fantasy Grounds forums - there is the Looking for Group thread
    * Fantasy Grounds also has a Discord server and there is a similar thread there for players looking for games and DMs looking for players
    * There are also Discord gaming groups that are trying to build a bank of players. For instance, there is one called The Oasis that has a number of players and DMs and they seem to recruit on a fairly regular basis.

If you are familiar with Venn Diagrams, I attached an image of what I see the postings coming from.

Gaming Venn Diagram.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sciencephile View Post
    Well, from the other side of the fence (The DM/GM), I have found that it can be difficult to recruit people from any one source. You may want to look at various sources to try to find a game, such as:

* The Fantasy Grounds forums - there is the Looking for Group thread
    * Fantasy Grounds also has a Discord server and there is a similar thread there for players looking for games and DMs looking for players
    * There are also Discord gaming groups that are trying to build a bank of players. For instance, there is one called The Oasis that has a number of players and DMs and they seem to recruit on a fairly regular basis.

If you are familiar with Venn Diagrams, I attached an image of what I see the postings coming from.

Gaming Venn Diagram.jpg
    Thanks for posting this. I am planning on starting group using FGU around April or May. Trying to get used to FG as I have never played on line before. It is far different from the 20+ years of running a live game.

OP let me know by private message what you are looking for and I will keep you in mind when I am ready to run.

The best places to find groups:
    FG Forums, Looking for Player (LFP) subforum.:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...king-for-Group

FG Discord (LFP, LFPG channels):
    https://discord.gg/fFpbv3Kh

For people in Australia, NZ, Oceania and West Asia, I highly recommend:
    The Filthy Pig Inn and Tavern Discord:
    https://discord.gg/tMTS9YcQ

The Filthy Pig has an "adventurers wanted" channel.
    I live in Japan, and as a DM, I found a group pretty easily there. One player and I are in Japan, the rest are in Australia, and they're an awesome group to play with.

Look for your time zone.

When you write a "Looking for Group" announcement, here's some advice.
    MUST HAVE:
    VTT (FGC or FGU or other).
    Game and System (example, D&D 5e)
    Time Zone or location (for example, I'm UTC +9, Japan). My discord name also has my UTC time zone.
    Available or preferred days and times.

GOOD IDEA to HAVE:
    Write a little about you. What's your gaming background? Are you absolutely NEW to D&D and FGU (and some DMs ARE looking for new people), or do you have years of experience? What kind of game are you looking for? Are you looking for serious, silly, dungeon crawls, heavy on roleplaying.

You'll get picked faster, I think, if DMs have an idea early on of what kind of player you are and what you're looking for in a game.

Thread Information