5E Character Create Playlist

Spell attack modifiers

I’m sure this has been mentioned somewhere and I haven’t found it, but playing last night I realised that my spell attack modifiers were calculated wrong, and now I’ve got to manually sift through every spell I choose to make sure it’s not just adding my dex to it.

Apart from automating the classes to cast from a certain modifier plus prof, would also be handy to have your spell attack bonus in bold somewhere like it is on a paper sheet. I’m sure it isn’t just me that feels uneasy looking at your spell sheet and not seeing +5 at the top or whatever. That way you know at a glance that everything’s being calculated correctly, and it can be used for manual spells and such.

Welcome to FG.

What ruleset? If 5e then if you have created the character correctly then the spell attack DC and spell attacks are automatically computed and should be correct. If they are not (and you don't have any magic item for example that would change the spell attacks or DCs) then something isn't correct with the character. The most common casue is players messing around with different classes. If you click on the magnifying glass at the end off any of the Spell power group headers this will open a data box and will show what the ability being used to calculate the spell saves. It should be the class ability - so Int for Wizard's. Wis for Clerics etc. If it doesn't show the the correct ability score click on the box to cycle through them until it shows the correct one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

I’m playing a cleric of the grave 5e no multiclassing or anything.

The class was set up by dragging the class into the character sheet and dragging the spells into the sheet.

As far as the magnifying glass, that’s exactly how I fixed it. But I’ve had other players in games I’ve run have the same issue with spells. It’s not automatically adding the correct modifier or proficiency. It appears all spells have to be manually edited. It’s done this with both character creator wizard and manually dragged and dropped characters.

Moved to the 5E forum. The Laboratory forum is for reporting issues with the test build. Please ask questions in the ruleset specific forum.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by justabarber View Post
    Hi thanks for getting back to me.

I’m playing a cleric of the grave 5e no multiclassing or anything.

The class was set up by dragging the class into the character sheet and dragging the spells into the sheet.

As far as the magnifying glass, that’s exactly how I fixed it. But I’ve had other players in games I’ve run have the same issue with spells. It’s not automatically adding the correct modifier or proficiency. It appears all spells have to be manually edited. It’s done this with both character creator wizard and manually dragged and dropped characters.
    Are you using any extensions? have you tested in a campaign without any extensions?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information