DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

NPC Melee and Ranged Weapon Designation?

So maybe I just missed this, but is there any way to designate that an attach on an NPC is a melee attack or a ranged attack? The problem that I'm having is that I have created a Power Attack effect that applies the attack and damage modifiers to hit and damage. This works fine for the PCs. However, it applies the penalty/bonus to all NPC attacks whether they are melee or ranged. I believe the problem is that the parser doesn't distinguish between these two attack styles.

For example, he is the effect I am using:

Power Attack (+1 BAB/1H); ATK: -1 melee; DMG: 2 melee

And here is the attack line of the NPC: I am a spammer

short sword +11 (1d6+3/18-20) or dagger +11 (1d4+1/19-20) or light crossbow +11 (1d8/19-20)

As I stated above, when the Power Attack effect is applied to the NPC on the combat tracker, the penalty to hit and the bonus to damage is applied whether he attacks with the short sword or the light crossbow. Is there any fix for this?
    Last edited by damned; April 6th, 2021 at 12:36.

Quote Originally Posted by WillowWyatt View Post
    So maybe I just missed this, but is there any way to designate that an attach on an NPC is a melee attack or a ranged attack? The problem that I'm having is that I have created a Power Attack effect that applies the attack and damage modifiers to hit and damage. This works fine for the PCs. However, it applies the penalty/bonus to all NPC attacks whether they are melee or ranged. I believe the problem is that the parser doesn't distinguish between these two attack styles.

And here is the attack line of the NPC:

short sword +11 (1d6+3/18-20) or dagger +11 (1d4+1/19-20) or light crossbow +11 (1d8/19-20)

As I stated above, when the Power Attack effect is applied to the NPC on the combat tracker, the penalty to hit and the bonus to damage is applied whether he attacks with the short sword or the light crossbow. Is there any fix for this?
    Try this:

light crossbow +11 ranged (1d8/19-20)

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by WillowWyatt View Post

And here is the attack line of the NPC:

You will need to open the sheet for the NPC from the combat tracker, then unlock it (lock symbol on the upper right). Once you do that, you will be able to edit the attacks by adding melee or ranged after each attack. So for your example: short sword +11 melee (1d6+3/18-20) or dagger +11 melee (1d4+1/19-20) or light crossbow +11 ranged (1d8/19-20).

Sometimes you will have to do what dellanx and DCrumb have said, but I think there is another issue at play here:

There's a weird situation with effects that isn't well known.
    Your effect should be Power Attack (+1 BAB/1H); ATK: -1 ,melee; DMG: 2 ,melee
    because it doesn't have a bonus type assigned, the extra comma has to be there so it doesn't try to add it as a "+1 melee bonus" (like a "+1 luck bonus")

However I also have another suggestion that is now possible thanks to the new update:
    Power Attack 1-H; ATK: -1 [-QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee
    Power Attack 2-H; ATK: -1 [-QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee

If you use this, you will not have to change the numbers in the effect when the characters level up (or figure out what the numbers should be for NPCs).
    Last edited by bmos; March 10th, 2021 at 14:44.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    Sometimes you will have to do what dellanx and DCrumb have said, but I think there is another issue at play here:

because it doesn't have a bonus type assigned, the extra comma has to be there so it doesn't try to add it as a "+1 melee bonus" (like a "+1 luck bonus")

However I also have another suggestion that is now possible thanks to the new update:
    Power Attack 1-H; ATK: -1 [-QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee
    Power Attack 2-H; ATK: -1 [-QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 1 [QBAB] ,melee

If you use this, you will not have to change the numbers in the effect when the characters level up (or figure out what the numbers should be for NPCs).
    Is [-QBAB] or [QBAB] part of the ruleset now?

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by dellanx View Post
    Is [-QBAB] or [QBAB] part of the ruleset now?
    This was implemented to ruleset in recent update:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ers-in-effects

Changelog for rulesets can is linked in this post:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tes-2021-03-09

If you want to make it even more succinct you can combine the multiple DMG modifiers to a single DMG entry.
    Power Attack 1-H; ATK: -1 [-QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 2 [QBAB] [QBAB] ,melee;
    Power Attack 2-H; ATK: -1 [-QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 3 [QBAB] [QBAB] [QBAB] ,melee;

Which may, or may not, be less confusing

Quote Originally Posted by dllewell View Post
    If you want to make it even more succinct you can combine the multiple DMG modifiers to a single DMG entry.
    Power Attack 1-H; ATK: -1 [-QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 2 [QBAB] [QBAB] ,melee;
    Power Attack 2-H; ATK: -1 [-QBAB] ,melee; DMG: 3 [QBAB] [QBAB] [QBAB] ,melee;

Which may, or may not, be less confusing
    Interesting! I guess that means you could do something like ATK: [WIS] [HLVL] to get wis mod + half the level? had no idea it accepted multiple inputs

Interesting! I guess that means you could do something like ATK: [WIS] [HLVL] to get wis mod + half the level? had no idea it accepted multiple inputs
    I tested that to make sure and yes that works fine.

So a question on what H[TAG], T[TAG], and Q[TAG] return? Do they only return whole numbers? Or do they return fractions? If they only return whole numbers, the expression becomes easier for damage: DMG: 2 2[QBAB] ,melee and DMG: 3 3[QBAB] ,melee.

Thread Information