STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: LOS Slowdown

LOS Slowdown

Hi Guys

Not sure if this has been reported, and if so, apologies for duplicating.

I use 2 instances of Unity on the same PC and display the maps via a projector from the 2nd instance. The PC is pretty beefy with a 10th gen core i7 and an RTX2070.

I am currently running the finale of Rise of Tiamat in Unity and the final map (Tiamats Temple) is huge. With 10 players and 13 NPC's I found that the system would often bog down and I would get the spinning wheel waiting for Unity to respond.

I disabled LOS and it fixed the issue.

I am fine with using the no-LOS work around so do not need a response to this. I just wanted to report the bug.

Regards

Simon

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your report. LOS performance is a known issue and is being refactored with the next update, which is planned to also include vision and light sources. For now, all you can do is limit the number of tokens and limit the number of LOS elements.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks mate. Little difficult to reduce the number of tokens in this case, but I am certain its the vast size of the map that the main issue here. It does not really need LOS, so thats fine.

Looking forwards to the update - vision and light sources will be cool!

Sometimes it can also help to reduce the fps of FG What fps do you run FG with? There where people overwriting FG's native one, draining a lot of performance because the fps was really high on their computer

I don't even know where you would go to do that

There are some commands: /vsynch X

If X = 0, then it will use 60 fps,
    X=1 will use your system's default,
    X=2 will be 30 fps,
    X=3 will be 20 fps
    X= 4 will be 15 fps

But probably it is not the problem I was speaking about if you do not know how to change system's default values etc But maybe worth a try

Cool thanks. I am happy with no LOS in this case though - if you have not seen it, its a pretty simple star shaped map. Its just that its something like 500 feet x 500 feet which is why FG is struggling (I assume).

Yeah, that could be also a problem

By the way, there is also currently a bug where the map can slowdown everything if it is put into the background; do you do this by the way?

I have stopped using background mode for my DotMM maps and now use a large normal window. But I’m wanting to go back to using background mode when fixed. My GPU usage drops from 100% to 65% just by doing this.

I have a UHD (4K) monitor so I’m pushing my intel GPU and laptop to the max. I do use “/VSYNC 4”

I find with lots of NPC’s thing can become sluggish. But the secret is to use a smaller MAP window.

With regards to LOS calculation distance limits not needing to be beyond the windowed view seems an obvious thing. But I suspect only in hindsight. And in background mode I can see how it was allowed to calculate upto the map limits. Maybe the programmers need less powerful rigs like us normal people. ? Certainly we all have at least one or two PC players with aged hardware.

I fear I will soon need to have a conversation with my players about how they need to spend some money in their laptops and it’s not a little amount if you want a laptop with a decently powerful GPU
    Last edited by EllivasKram; March 3rd, 2021 at 23:45. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information