STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    Hi Dalton,

Thanks for your very detailed replies, at this time I don't have any spare time to build out the task chains extension beyond some simpler changes.

I am going to add an arrow to the title line, that allows you to hide/show the separate tasks - this will clear up a lot of space and it's a simple change.

After speaking with GregRex, I'm going to think about a 'reveal' option, ie the players only sees the tasks as they are asked for.

Adding tasks and allowing multiple characteristics won't work as it overrides the characteristic as the dice roll is made.

It also seems we have a different use of a task chain, I rarely use them, I see them for repeated actions. Anything else like trying to get ahead of a enemy in a starport - this would all be done on the fly. I wouldn't have this planned ahead. So I still don't see the need for a description, is this something the players see when you 'play' this task chain? If it is, it will be text.

But I'm busy on the next update, so only minor work can be done on this.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Hi MBM

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    I am going to add an arrow to the title line, that allows you to hide/show the separate tasks - this will clear up a lot of space and it's a simple change.
    Wonderful, that works as a quick fix.

After speaking with GregRex, I'm going to think about a 'reveal' option, ie the players only sees the tasks as they are asked for.
    That is good, as some TCs are for a single person, so I can send the "sensor" and "positioning" tasks to the player in charge of that, so they can roll/work off screen from the others and report on the results, vs being the player who just repeats what the GM says.

Adding tasks and allowing multiple characteristics won't work as it overrides the characteristic as the dice roll is made.
    I would never change (add or remove steps) a TC but, allowing for a single characteristic that is selected from all the possible characteristics is what would work. In my example, you will see the "or" meaning one of vs multiple.

It also seems we have a different use of a task chain, I rarely use them, I see them for repeated actions. Anything else like trying to get ahead of a enemy in a starport - this would all be done on the fly. I wouldn't have this planned ahead. So I still don't see the need for a description, is this something the players see when you 'play' this task chain? If it is, it will be text.
    I would not show it to players - it is more of a note for the referee. I use notepads and quecards for alot of this in FTF gaming, going back to MT days. A Task Chart Library with individual tasks able to be linked to from other locations allows for the adventure to be all setup in advance and have the notes as hints as to how to handle it in different situations. This is especially useful when having TCs produced by others and provided in a module.

But I'm busy on the next update, so only minor work can be done on this.
    No worries, this is a powerful tool as it is and I will be using it in my games immediately.
    I may also start modifying it myself to see what I can do with it to assist you.

best regards
    Dalton

Hi Dalton,

If you want to work on the 'code' then I can send you the repository branch, so if you update some things you can pull/merge - it uses git for the source control.

Let me know,
    Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Hi Dalton,

If you want to work on the 'code' then I can send you the repository branch, so if you update some things you can pull/merge - it uses git for the source control.

Let me know,
    Cheers,
    MBM
    Sure, I would love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Calford View Post
    Sure, I would love that.
    Hi Dalton,

I got your DM, I'll sort that for you over the weekend, please note this will be merged back into the main source code so there will be a cut-off point (whenever I decide), but that extension has got all the stuff to show you how to build other extensions, if you do, then please share on these forums.

Cheers,
    MBM

Hi Folks,

Just pushed a small update to this. You can now 'hide/show' subtasks - and this is remembered, this allows you to add routine task chains and then hide the subtasks thus you can see more in the lists.

The 1st post has the updated extension.

Cheers,
    MBM

I started a session and started a client session using localhost IP and selected a character and I can see the task I defined and everything is there. I can't however figure out how to drop a skill/roll on it. I tried to drop the appropriate skill roll on it in a bunch of places but its not taking it. does it have to be an actual player session from another computer? Thanks again for creating this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoid View Post
    I started a session and started a client session using localhost IP and selected a character and I can see the task I defined and everything is there. I can't however figure out how to drop a skill/roll on it. I tried to drop the appropriate skill roll on it in a bunch of places but its not taking it. does it have to be an actual player session from another computer? Thanks again for creating this.
    Hi,

Sadly the player window doesn't have the helpful 'surround' appear when you're on it, but when you drag the dice, it's the 'hand' that has to be in the description box, around about the middle, I'll try and get a visual indicator added tomorrow.

Cheers,
    MBM

loving this gonna try it out on todays session

Quote Originally Posted by adzling View Post
    loving this gonna try it out on todays session
    Nice, I'm working on an update for it at the moment, one that only shows the players the current 'task'.

Thread Information