DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How do you retrieve a deleted map?

5e, FG Unity.

Messing about with the maps in Curse of Strahd I managed to delete a player map from the campaign. It's obviously still on the hard drive somewhere as it shows if I open in a second iteration of CoS, but where is it and how do I reinstate the original?
    Alea iacta est

Go to the module activation screen and right-click on the module and select revert changes. Note that this will revert any changes you've made to that module within that campaign.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Go to the module activation screen and right-click on the module and select revert changes. Note that this will revert any changes you've made to that module within that campaign.
    Um.. thanks but I've made a lot of changes to maps, text etc. within the campaign, I don't want to lose those and have to do them all over again. Is there no way of reinstating the one map?
    Alea iacta est

You'll need to edit the campaign moduledb XML data. If you're not comfortable with this I wouldn't recommend it. Even if you are comfortable - make a backup before you do anything!

In the <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name>\moduledb directory there will be an XML file called DD Curse of Strahd.xml - without FG running, make a copy of this file into a separate directory as a backup. Then open the original file in a text editor. Within the <image> data there will be a node showing as deleted. Here's an example:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <root version="4" dataversion="20201016">
    	<image>
    		<id-00012 type="deleted" />
    Delete the whole line with the delated data, save the file and then load up your campaign - the image should be back to it's base settings. All your other edited module data should be OK.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You'll need to edit the campaign moduledb XML data. If you're not comfortable with this I wouldn't recommend it. Even if you are comfortable - make a backup before you do anything!

In the <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name>\moduledb directory there will be an XML file called DD Curse of Strahd.xml - without FG running, make a copy of this file into a separate directory as a backup. Then open the original file in a text editor. Within the <image> data there will be a node showing as deleted. Here's an example:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <root version="4" dataversion="20201016">
    	<image>
    		<id-00012 type="deleted" />
    Delete the whole line with the delated data, save the file and then load up your campaign - the image should be back to it's base settings. All your other edited module data should be OK.
    "Uncomfortable" doesn't even begin to describe how that makes me feel. The inner workings of PCs are a complete mystery to me, I've no idea what I'm doing and I'm not even going to try to follow those instructions.. Is there not an easier way?

NB; It's not a complete disaster if there isn't, I still have the DM map available which I can modify for use as a player map if necessary.
    Alea iacta est

You can add the original map as a new image to the campaign - the problem will be that links to the original map (e.g. in a reference manual or story entry) won't work as they'll still be pointing to the old (deleted) reference, and any pin links won't be present on the map.

To add the image to the campaign as a "new" map, go to Assets and search for the original map name, then double click on the image and click on the "Create Image Record" button.

You can add the original map as a new image to the campaign - the problem will be that links to the original map (e.g. in a reference manual or story entry) won't work as they'll still be pointing to the old (deleted) reference, and any pin links won't be present on the map.

To add the image to the campaign as a "new" map, go to Assets and search for the original map name, then double click on the image and click on the "Create Image Record" button.
    Done, many thanks. Links not an issue as I'm writing my own for this map.

Much obliged to you.
    Alea iacta est

I had this happen with a map I created. There's a way to load a previous save! I'd have to look for it:
    Here it is: Restore from db backup.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...from-db-backup

I spent an insane amount of time making a map (using a tile pack) inside FG. Then decided I didn't like it and deleted it. Then regretted and wanted it back. Loading the db saved me doing it over again.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    I had this happen with a map I created. There's a way to load a previous save! I'd have to look for it:
    Here it is: Restore from db backup.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...from-db-backup

I spent an insane amount of time making a map (using a tile pack) inside FG. Then decided I didn't like it and deleted it. Then regretted and wanted it back. Loading the db saved me doing it over again.
    Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion but, frankly, I find that proposal just as scary as Trenloe's. I'll stick with re-doing the map for now.
    Alea iacta est

similarly's suggestion is a good one. To make it work you would simply need to rename the current file to something else and the backup file to the current file. It might not be worth it to you now, but if you really have a problem in the future, its a good option.

Thread Information