FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Art Subscription Usage question

Had a discussion in discord that is probably more appropriate for in here.

Basically I have the art subscription which I use to form images and maps for my campaign. I was trying to find out if there was a way to create an image based on an image created with art sub assets, fx effects, etc. I wanted it for my background which requires an image - not a generated special FGU map "image".

My question about creating an image at all devolved into copyright discussions and other things all the way down to can a twitch recording in a game I'm hosting record the game when the map is build with art sub assets and such. It was very confusing between "fair use" and can someone broadcast an image I created from art sub assets or can I even make an image of that in a module I create for free or pay?

The safe play was "you can't do anything". The risky play was "its a grey area".

I'm looking for clarification on use of maps/images I create with art sub assets:

1) Can they be distributed at all?
    a) free?
    b) pay?

2) Can anyone make a recoding of one (twitch, youtube, etc.) of one of my games ever if it has a map/image that is create with art sub assets?

3) Can anyone take a screenshot of one - post to forums etc.

For me its all hypothetical as I was making a map for FGCON16 with art sub assets when I was going to have to make an image to put one I created with art assets as my FGU background.

Would like to get community thoughts on this and Smiteworks clarification on some of these questions - if possible.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 19th, 2021 at 20:52.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Smitework clarification? Helloooooo. Anyone out there?

I've forwarded your question to Doug.

Regards,
    JPG

Josh answered the first question in his stream yesterday. He said you can distribute a mod file that contains your created maps, but in order to use it someone would have to also own the assets used in its creation.

Quote Originally Posted by WindrunnerCGG View Post
    Josh answered the first question in his stream yesterday. He said you can distribute a mod file that contains your created maps, but in order to use it someone would have to also own the assets used in its creation.
    That was known. They will be question marks on the map if you art sub runs out or you don't have one. That was not my questions.

I know that this is not possible at this time, but if in the future (with the forge) we are able to create and sell content through Smiteworks store, I would hope that DMs who want to buy mods from content creators who used the fantasy grounds map tools, would not be forced to buy the entire artpack subscription.

I know that this is not possible at this time, but if in the future (with the forge) we are able to create and sell content through Smiteworks store, I would hope that DMs who want to buy mods from content creators who used the fantasy grounds map tools, would not be forced to buy the entire artpack subscription.
    Again they would have to have the art sub. My questions are related to not having it. Images of what was made - as stated in page 1.

I see what you’re saying now, but your initial post was not very clear.

Knowing this area of business fairly well, my professional opinion is that it falls into the grey area. It “should” be ok for you to create and broadcast your image in context (within FG) without receiving permission, but it would be up to FG as to whether you could redistribute it. You also should make sure that you clearly provide credit to smite works for use of their assets in building your image.

I see what you’re saying now, but your initial post was not very clear.

Knowing this area of business fairly well, my professional opinion is that it falls into the grey area. It “should” be ok for you to create and broadcast your image in context (within FG) without receiving permission, but it would be up to FG as to whether you could redistribute it. You also should make sure that you clearly provide credit to smite works for use of their assets in building your image.
    Hence my desire for clarity on the matter Sounds like Smiteworks is only one who can give direction on what is legit to do in these cases. I'm good with whatever - just want some clarity on what I can and can't do per those questions. We'll see if some is forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I've forwarded your question to Doug.

Regards,
    JPG
    Is this a particular tricky set of questions? I can simplify it if you want.

Can I take an image of a map made with art subs and use them in an FGU module that I distribute in DMsG? In FG store? Can I distribute it in FG forums? It's an image of a map made with the art sub.

Thread Information