5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Fast Unity v Classic questions

I recently first started loading my extension (MoreCore-based) on Unity and noticed some errors that didn't happen with Classic.

Primarily around "&" (and I think once on not script lending a scrip line in an xml file with ";" ?) and such.
    In that file I'd use the %amp; (or the like - can never remember and google always for it) code in certain strings and left it "&" in others. I also "escaped" somethings like \" etc at times. Some or all of these were not sitting right with Unity.

Also - is the xml encoding is still iso-85xxx and not utf8 right?

Please, if there is a thread or simple enumeration of things that changed or Unity enforces in xml - please let me know.
    I'm not sure I will convert to using Unity natively on my Mac - the font is too small (MacPro16) compared to running in Classic on VM but certainly I would test it in Unity and prefer to do it natively vs vm.

OK - I fixed all the "weird" errors - it seems that I had things wrong that Classic just was "OK" with

I made all my & -> & and the other thing was I had a offset=-175 in a file instead of offset="-175" (everywhere else I had these in quotes) but somehow Classic was "ok" with it. I was dumbfounded because I was told not unexpected TOKEN (emphasis mine) -175 on line 600, position 55 and it said expected """" or ''' and I looked and the line was just after a script etc and nothing on it or that file had -175 - I kept changing things and nothing changed.

Then I saw it was me looking at record_char_more in MORECORE not in my extension (the IDE I had opened both folders and I missed the name when searched.

So it's good now. The only thing is font got "messed up" - but I think it looks like the MoreCore ones now so I need to see what changed. Maybe I was always using MoreCore fonts by default and that changed. It's hard to see since did it on my laptop and the resolution is nuts on Unity (high and tiny elements) and OK on Classic since I had to run the Windows version in VM since classic is 32bit and my MacPro16 came with 64bit OS.

Enclosing a pic in case it's a common thing NOT related to Morcore default changing. I cannot look at it until late and was hoping the change to new sidebar made experts out of some . I noticed one thing when in past I said - yeah, I went with simple nongraphical sidebars from OSE/2E but then noticed only partially true - I already miss the simple Button which was graphical and SIMPLE! (too bad they didn't do it that way as option) with normal font over it.

Anyhow - let me know if have tips:

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 3.17.59 PM.jpg

OK - so I needed to do laundry - it's why posted this from when I left off last night. Of course as I type that I need to compare them - I go... really, how long can it take - and sure enough it was trivial - sorry for not checking first. Leaving the comment/pick above for others in case useful for them.

I fixed the FONT on the sidebar by changing adding the 2 new "dockbar" entries in MoreCore and copying what used to be "sidebar" element data to the "button_sidebar_dockitem" entry (leaving the old "sidebar" in the text below for example)

While changing just the "button_sidebar_dockitem" worked - I am wondering what button_sidebar_dockitem1" is used for? I figure I'll put some WEIRD font there to stand out and find what changes

(EDIT: Top "sidebar" is just there to show the old one - it is NOT necessary in my new XML)
    Code:
    <root>

<font name="sidebar">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Ubuntu-C.ttf" name="Ubuntu Condensed" size="20" />
    		<color value="#ffffff" />
    		<shadow offset="1,1" color="#000000" />
    	</font>

<font name="button_sidebar_dockitem">
    	</font>

<!-- Sidebar -->
    	<font name="button_sidebar_dockitem1">
    		<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/bold-10.fgf" />
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Noto_Sans/NotoSans-Bold.ttf" name="Noto Sans Bold" size="16" />
    		<color value="#000000" />
    	</font>
    Next, gotta see about the font weirdness in the left chamber by doing the same side-by-side compare - these are not in MoreCore so I am going to guess. grabbed from OSE but will look. And figure what to change.

One other question however, any guess on the odd color background irregularity? Is there a new "section" or something now in the chabar that must be accounted for?

OK - I REALLY need to do laundry before dinner...

But after looking and seeing that the "dockitem1" is not in CoreRPG - I must presume it was Damned just saving the CoreRPG value with appending "1" on it. I removed it in mine.

Now, what has me confused is I checked the OSE extension and it had no chat font info. So not sure where I grabbed the values I did as I am NOT AT ALL good at visual stuff and would never have tried to select among fonts other than take from someone else who did that I liked. So if anyone recognizes the set of change - feel free to tell me.

>>> Plus, of course - if anyone can tell me why the fonts in Unity version look "odd" or bolded? <<<<
    And if there is a good thread on new sidebar stuff - like can it be colored differently? (I like gray - just wanted to see if there is a blue like my old buttons to see if like better)

My fonts xml:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
      Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
      attribution and copyright information.
    -->
    <root>

<!-- Sidebar -->
    	<!-- pre-sidebar changes in Feb 2021 -->
    	<font name="sidebar">
    	</font>
    	<!-- pre-sidebar changes in Feb 2021 -->

<!-- post-sidebar changes in Feb 2021 -->
    	<font name="button_sidebar_dockitem">
    	</font>
    	<!-- post-sidebar changes in Feb 2021 -->

<!-- Windows -->
    	<font name="windowtitle">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Ubuntu-B.ttf" name="Ubuntu" size="18" />
    	</font>

<!-- Chat fonts - REQUIRED -->
    	<font name="chatfont">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Ubuntu-L.ttf" name="Ubuntu Light" size="16" />
    		<color value="#261A12" />
    	</font>
    	<font name="emotefont">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Ubuntu-R.ttf" name="Ubuntu" size="16" />
    		<color value="#880000" />
    	</font>
    	<font name="narratorfont">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Ubuntu-B.ttf" name="Ubuntu" size="18" />
    		<color value="#261A12" />
    	</font>
    	<font name="systemfont">
    		<color value="#660066" />
    	</font>
    	<font name="msgfont">
    	</font>
    	<font name="oocfont">
    		<color value="#005500" />
    	</font>

<!-- Chat fonts -->
    	<font name="chatnpcfont">
    		<color value="#000066" />
    	</font>
    	<font name="chatgmfont">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Ubuntu-M.ttf" name="Ubuntu Light" size="16" />
    		<color value="#000000" />
    	</font>
    	<font name="whisperfont">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Ubuntu-LI.ttf" name="Ubuntu Light" size="18" />
    	</font>

</root>
    Last edited by Varsuuk; February 28th, 2021 at 21:19.

Some FGC-specific font considerations:
    * FGFs only work in FGC; and will be ignored by FGU. If a font is defined with both, FGC and FGU are using completely different font files.
    * For FGC, just because FGC requests a specific TTF font name; Windows can actually substitute another font. It's one of the reasons we moved away from that old Windows API.
    * FGC and FGU use completely different font engines; so TTF files could be rendered differently, especially depending on the specific font used. We typically gravitate to Google Fonts, since they are normally more complete fonts with less issues.

The sidebar buttons are displayed using a sidebar down/up frame, as well as a font. Those can be overriden in an extension, or layered ruleset.

Regards,
    JPG

Awesome sir!!

I got me beautiful buttons back by adding to my frames.xml:
    Code:
    	<!-- New-style sidebar frames -->
    	<!-- Sidebar -->
    	<framedef name="button_sidebar_dockitem">
    		<bitmap file="graphics/sidebar/button_wide.png" />
    		<offset>8,8,8,8</offset>
    	</framedef>
    	<framedef name="button_sidebar_dockitem_down">
    		<bitmap file="graphics/sidebar/button_wide_down.png" />
    		<offset>8,8,8,8</offset>
    	</framedef>

I have it "both ways" for now since Unity is atm nearly ILLEGIBLE on my MacBook Pro (16") . It is great on my desktop (34"). So I m still developing using the "retro" CORERPG until get to next milestone. Meanwhile - I move the files to my Unity to check look and make adjustments to support both until I get a chance to git-up the changes. I like to look at them since I don't have often chance to keep up with forums enough to hear of changes new features (like that range thing! - cool)

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.34.49 PM.jpg

I'm sure my font issues on left are probably other settings I need to adjust but I'll do all that when I migrate to new code sometime in next week to two.
    Last edited by Varsuuk; March 4th, 2021 at 00:37.

Thread Information