5E Character Create Playlist

Can a Mac run both FGC and FGU?

My group is considering shifting from Classic to Unity, but that transition will be prolonged--one DM is ready, but another DM is not. They will both be hosting games during our transition period. I am the only Mac user in the group. I have not "upgraded" MacOS from Mojave to Catalina solely because of our group uses FGC. I have a few questions about Macs and FGU that I expected to be answered out there, but I can't seem to find those answers in my searches. DISCLOSURE: On the 1-10 scale of being computer savvy, I'm probably a 3 (okay, probably a 2, but it makes me sad to admit that), so please dumb-splain answers...

1. Can I install and run both FGC and FGU on a Mojave Mac? In other words, can I install and run FGU on a 32-bit MacOS? It seems not, but trying to confirm.
    2. If one DM runs Unity one week and the other runs Classic the next, can I just open "FG", or will it be more complicated?
    3. If I upgrade my MacOS to Catalina (64-bit) AND install FGU, can I still run FGC?
    4. Should I just buy a gaming Windows PC? That's rhetorical... mostly.

There are probably a dozen more questions that I should be asking, please volunteer any other advice, especially from MacOs users.

Quote Originally Posted by troymhallman View Post
    My group is considering shifting from Classic to Unity, but that transition will be prolonged--one DM is ready, but another DM is not. They will both be hosting games during our transition period. I am the only Mac user in the group. I have not "upgraded" MacOS from Mojave to Catalina solely because of our group uses FGC. I have a few questions about Macs and FGU that I expected to be answered out there, but I can't seem to find those answers in my searches. DISCLOSURE: On the 1-10 scale of being computer savvy, I'm probably a 3 (okay, probably a 2, but it makes me sad to admit that), so please dumb-splain answers...

1. Can I install and run both FGC and FGU on a Mojave Mac? In other words, can I install and run FGU on a 32-bit MacOS? It seems not, but trying to confirm. Not sure. Minimum requirements are OS 10.13. How old is your Mac?
    2. If one DM runs Unity one week and the other runs Classic the next, can I just open "FG", or will it be more complicated? Not sure I know what you mean, but once you've switched a campaign to Unity, you can't go back. But if they are 2 different campaigns then you will still be able to access both with either FGC and FGU (notwithstanding 1&3).
    3. If I upgrade my MacOS to Catalina (64-bit) AND install FGU, can I still run FGC? Nope
    4. Should I just buy a gaming Windows PC? That's rhetorical... mostly. Depending on disk size, you could install windows on a bootcamp partition and run both.

There are probably a dozen more questions that I should be asking, please volunteer any other advice, especially from MacOs users.
    Does that help?

Blog Entries
    You can have FGC and FGU both on the same machine so long as the computer hardware and operating system both support both platforms.
    Use the default installs for both applications and you should be fine.

Blog Entries
    FGU will not run on a 32 bit O/S.
    Mohave (10.14) does not support 32-bit applications (only 64 bit), which FGC is a 32 bit program.

I think there are some folks using Bootcamp or WINE to load FGC Windows version on Mohave, but the FGC Mac installer itself won't work. I don't know if the answer is here, but check the MacOSX threads listed in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...llation-Guides

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    FGU will not run on a 32 bit O/S.
    Mohave (10.14) does not support 32-bit applications (only 64 bit), which FGC is a 32 bit program.
    Mojave is the MacOS to support running 32-bit applications. Catalina is the the first that can't run them, so FGC won't run on Catlina without doing lots of work arounds, FGU will run on Catlina.

FGC and FGU will run on Mojave - based off the minimum specs here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...m+Requirements Running on the recommended specs is.... recommended!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Mojave is the MacOS to support running 32-bit applications. Catalina is the the first that can't run them, so FGC won't run on Catlina without doing lots of work arounds, FGU will run on Catlina.

FGC and FGU will run on Mojave - based off the minimum specs here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...m+Requirements Running on the recommended specs is.... recommended!
    Thanks for the correction My Google skills failed me. (Actually, I didn't dive deep enough and assumed...)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks everyone. This is helpful!

Thread Information