STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: ROF automation

ROF automation

Hi new to SW and FGU.

Is there a way to automate high rate of fire(ROF) attacks? Like for an ROF 3 a wildcard should roll 3 shooting die and 1 wild die. Each with-2 for recoil unless it is a recoilless weapon.

Manually attaching a modifier and rolling, 4 times Seems awkward.

In fact manual modifiers themselves are pretty messed up. They seem to apply to only 1 roll, and have no place in UI where they are displayed, though there is a strange pending wound entry that gets added to the active character whenever you use one... is this just buggy or am I just doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsquid View Post
    Hi new to SW and FGU.

Is there a way to automate high rate of fire(ROF) attacks? Like for an ROF 3 a wildcard should roll 3 shooting die and 1 wild die. Each with-2 for recoil unless it is a recoilless weapon.

Manually attaching a modifier and rolling, 4 times Seems awkward.

In fact manual modifiers themselves are pretty messed up. They seem to apply to only 1 roll, and have no place in UI where they are displayed, though there is a strange pending wound entry that gets added to the active character whenever you use one... is this just buggy or am I just doing it wrong?
    Welcome to the FG Forums.

Have you watched these videos? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Grounds-Videos

I am not sure about the ROF, new to SW myself, but I am sure someone will be along shortly to assist.

I believe I created sub-attacks for weapons with ROF > 1. So if my gun has a ROF 3 on my combat tab I have the gun listed like normal and then 2 subattacks...1 for 2 shots and 1 for 3.

I'm not up yet but pretty sure if you right click on the shooting die for each subattack you can add the appropriate recoil penalty in the modifiers field

Not sure if you were the same person who asked about how to do the variable shotgun damage depending on range but if not using subattacks is how you'd handle that too...one attack for short one for medium and one for long. The player chooses the appropriate one.

I haven't used the modifier field in awhile...either the automation does it or we've gone "Oops...should have been a -2 ,penalty there" and just done the math in our heads. I'll have to test later as maybe there's a new bug.
    Last edited by IceBear; February 25th, 2021 at 12:17.

Ah thanks those videos do help a bit.... I figured out my problem with modifiers, you don’t drag them to the active combatant rather you put it on the modifiers box on the bottom left. And you have to assign those 1st... unless you’re using a map with range.

Right clicking to add a dice to an attack for rate of fire works. As long as you start from the combat tracker and not the character sheet.

I’ll have to keep trying with the sub attacks. Seems like each sub gets a wild dice which isn’t correct. One of my players doesn’t have a mouse.... so right clicking is a challenge.
    Last edited by sweetsquid; February 25th, 2021 at 13:12. Reason: Removed innacurate observation about target numbers.

No...something isn't right then. If it has 2 shooting dice it should roll those 2 plus one wild die only.

Also...if you right click and add a modifier it'll stay there permanently. So you could do it for the player and then it's done.

That said I'm pretty sure if you set up a sub-attack with 2 or more shooting dice it'll automatically do recoil penalty. I say that because in our rifts game I'm sure my laser rifle had an ignore recoil tag so I didn't get the -2 penalty

Yeah, looking at the equipment list, the Laser Rifle has [>Ignore #Recoil] so it should be putting a -2 recoil penalty on any RoF 2 or more attacks. I guess you don't have the attacks set up right. I'm out of bed now and kid has breakfast so let me test and put up a screenshot

Ok, I added an AK-47 to a character. By default on the combat tab it puts the weapon there with a single shot. I right clicked on it, created a subattack, called it AK-47 RoF 2, then right clicked on the dice, and set the number of attacks to 2. Did the same for three. I then attacked with the RoF3 attack and it rolled 3 shooting die + 1 wild die and automatically added the -2 Recoil penalty. Screenshot attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ahhh thanks icebear, I see now if you right click entry for the attack in the character sheet you can change the number of attacks. It just doesn’t automatically update in the tracker (no data binding), but as you suggested I created new entries for 2 shot/3 shot. And replaced in the character in the tracker.

All seems good.

Funny you should mention laser rifle, if the players are lucky they may grab a couple... how did you create the no recoil flag?

I didn't...if you look at the default laser rifle in the equipment list it's there. Ikael added the Ignore feature a few updates back...the Effects wiki really needs an update.

Yeah, the way FG works, a lot of times when you drag something from one place to another (like the character to the CT) it's making a copy so you if you make changes to the base item, better to delete the copy and replace it.

Have you seen the Effects Wiki? As I mentioned, it's sorely in need of updating, but it explains how you can add Effects to equipment and in general

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ginal%20fields.

Oh, one thing about those manual modifiers...as the GM you can't add a modifier to a player's roll...those modifiers are for YOUR rolls. If, for some reason a player needs to add a manual modifier, they need to put it in the box on their side before rolling (and yes, it is just for that one roll)

Thread Information