DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

HeroLab (classic) import

Yep, this has been discussed a few times, and official support is discontinued.

1. Would it be possible to have the .lfgu to .xml converter that was available with FG classic?

2. Has anyone developed an alternative importer? The classic version of HL seems a pretty neat tool for PF1 so I am surprised there seems to be nothing to import from it.

I still use the importer often. Don't know why the thing was discontinued as it still works well as long as you tweek the output from HeroLab classic. No idea if it can still be shared as it is code from Smiteworks.
    Last edited by Blahness98; March 21st, 2024 at 15:55.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Thanks Blahness! Is it possible to run it independently of FG classic? I downloaded the software but I don't seem to be able to run it on my mac.

It would be great if someone from Smiteworks answered this. If they have no plan to develop the importer perhaps they could release its code so that the community can make it into a module/extension for FGU.

What did this Hero Lab Importer do? You can export an image from Hero Labs and put it in your tokens or images folders in the Fantasy Grounds Data directory, refresh images and the "export" is available.

While I have never used it, I think it takes character data exported from HL and converts it into a format readable by FG. So you could build a PC (or NPC built as PC I guess) in hero lab, which works better for that purpose and validates your build, and pass it through the importer to get it in XML format ready for use in FG.

Quote Originally Posted by snupy View Post
    While I have never used it, I think it takes character data exported from HL and converts it into a format readable by FG. So you could build a PC (or NPC built as PC I guess) in hero lab, which works better for that purpose and validates your build, and pass it through the importer to get it in XML format ready for use in FG.
    Ah.. I was thinking of Hero Forge (the image thing) - this would require an extension for each ruleset to work with the output from Hero Lab.

It is a small program that did work independently of FG. All it did was convert from .hlfg to .xml. It allowed you to import that .xml file directly into FG saving you a bit of time making your character. It had issues which required a bit of editing of the .hlfg file (mostly to remove the archetype) and newer modules to be referenced for it to completely work properly. It was best used for PC's as there are extensions already that could generate NPCs from Herolab's text output.

While I have used it regularly, it appears the file I have is no longer launching, so I might be out of luck for conversions from here on out. Granted, with the right modules, making a character to match HL isn't that hard anymore.

--edit

It appears the copy I had was corrupted and that is why is wasn't launching. Works just like I remembered. The HLFG file needed a little editing to remove the archetypes selected and added a few community modules to it and and converted like a champ. Imported just fine into my character creation campaign. No idea why the tool was decommissioned for 1e, but it still works if you have it.
    Last edited by Blahness98; March 21st, 2024 at 16:21. Reason: Updated Information
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Blahness98 View Post
    It is a small program that did work independently of FG. All it did was convert from .hlfg to .xml. It allowed you to import that .xml file directly into FG saving you a bit of time making your character. It had issues which required a bit of editing of the .hlfg file (mostly to remove the archetype) and newer modules to be referenced for it to completely work properly. It was best used for PC's as there are extensions already that could generate NPCs from Herolab's text output.

While I have used it regularly, it appears the file I have is no longer launching, so I might be out of luck for conversions from here on out. Granted, with the right modules, making a character to match HL isn't that hard anymore.
    Could you give me the name of those extensions or link them? Thanks!

What do you mean with right module? I imagine one can find most feats, traits, etc but FG is still not doing any checks or helping with the character creation, right? Do you mean creating the PC in HL and use that to replicate it in FG?

I seriously lament that loss, because my content for PF1e on Hero Lab is complete. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for FG's side of things leaving me to have to fill in alot of gaps when I start pulling things from more obscure sources. I haven't tried the round-about way of doing it in awhile, using FG Classic to import the Hero Lab file, exporting that, then importing it into Unity. Last I knew, that still worked. It's just a few extra steps I wish I didn't have to take.

Seriously, I would legit pay for an update at this point.

I apologize, I still had the code for an extension that was pulled by the owner still on my system and was still actively using that. As far as I am aware, only Trenloe's Importer/Converter in the sticky is the only thing that would allow quick conversions of NPCs.

And I do mean using the modules already created on the forums here to replicate what you have built in Herolab.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Thread Information