STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Points of Interest - Custom Map Pins

Forge Link: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1225/view

Points of Interest lets you set up custom map pins on any image.

To set up your custom map pins, you need only click the map pin icon in an image's header bar (to the left of the lock and toolbar icons). This will open the Points of Interest list to the right of the image. You can then drag/drop any record onto the PoI list, and then assign a token to that PoI. Lastly, drag the PoI token from the list onto the image. This behavior is very similar to how one might add creatures to the combat tracker and then assign them tokens.

Once you have your PoI tokens on an image you can access the record by double-clicking the token, exactly the same way you'd open up a PC or NPC sheet. PoI's can be visible to either the GM or to everyone, and if the PoI supports being unidentified you can ID or un-ID the record directly from the list.

PoI tokens have a display name that matches the name of the record. If the record is unidentified, then the PoI's name shows the unidentified name to the players.

While this may sound like a lot of work when you could just use normal pins, I've found that for regional maps that may accumulate dozens and dozens of pins over the course of a campaign, it gets really hard to find that one link you wanted. Setting up custom icons for specific types of records helps immensely when using long-term maps. For example, I have a specific token I use for quests that are in-progress and another for completed quests. Encounter battlemaps have a unique token, as do cities, dungeons, and roads.

Here's an example using a fairly busy map that was almost useless with generic pins.

Here's a list of sources for map icons that I've used

If you find a good set of icons you like then please share them! I'm always looking for more options.

Compatibility
    While this extension should work for any ruleset based on CoreRPG, I have only tested with a few systems (D&D 5e and Cypher). Similarly, this extension has little risk in colliding with other extensions, but there is risk of colliding with any extensions that also modify image and/or token behavior. Please report any issues you have here.

Known Issues
    None at this point

Changelog
    v1.1.0 - March 8th, 2024. Updated to support FG 4.5.
    v1.0.1 - Initial release
    Last edited by Saagael; March 8th, 2024 at 18:25.

Looks awesome, I'll point my DM in its direction.

Thank you for this! Exactly what I've been seeking for my hexcrawl games.

Trying this in my 4e game and so far it works fine. Thanks for the links to the icons, they are awesome!

Yeah, that is an incredible extension, I use it for my landing page, with links to the Player codex on some image/map Also with links to shops for them to shop and so on

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Yeah, that is an incredible extension, I use it for my landing page, with links to the Player codex on some image/map Also with links to shops for them to shop and so on
    Can you show me a couple of example screenshots of how you are using it for your landing page?
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
    Can you show me a couple of example screenshots of how you are using it for your landing page?
    Not exactly a landing page, but I put an image in the original post showing a map I use for an urban game I'm running.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
    I described how I create landing pages here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post685158

However, the time when I wrote that post, I had not yet this extension, so the landing page has the typical green pins. But now with this extension I replaced these pins with customized pins For example, there is an NPC as a merchant on this landing page, in front of him is a shared pin with a list of shops for the players to go shopping. Now I used the token of the merchant as a customized pin, so when they double-click on the NPC a shop opens

This is great and should be very useful. There are a couple of advantages pins have over POIs at the moment which would be great if you could incorporate:
    1) On a large map, if you zoom out, pins are still clearly visible (the size doesn't scale with the map). POIs will become smaller as you zoom out, so become harder to see:
    Pins and POIs easy to see.png
    Pins easy to see, POIs hard to see.png

2) With line of sight and visibility on (like you'd want in a dungeon), a pin is still visible once a character leaves the area, but a POI isn't:
    Pin visible, POI not.png

I imagine both of those are because a POI is associated with a token, so may be hard to do anything about, but figured I'd request them anyway.

Thread Information