STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Without derailing this too much, I seem to remember the issue being that if I stretch Fantasy Grounds across multiple monitors, then any map that I pin also stretches across the monitors, and since you can't zoom maps out farther than the size of the image, it's impossible to constrain the map to just one monitor. (being able to zoom out arbitrarily far or scroll past the edges of the map would be a very nice feature by the way, many maps have very tightly cropped borders that can make centering yourself on action near the edges of the map very tricky)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    Speaking of like and dislike...

So for those of you that've played the adventures I've been associated with, you should have noticed that I have spent a good deal of time making the Reference Manual pop - giving it as much feel as possible as the PDF (images, framing, etc). What I am curious about is.. has anyone tried or used the Ref Man as the basis for running their sessions? Anyone use it as a reference document or read it as they would a PDF?

I have used story pins for maps, but have considered even pulling reference manual entries into pins. Has anyone made more use of the Reference Manual as I have expanded it's features and have an opinion on the subject?

Thanks!
    I think you have done a good job on the reference manual, much improved on the previous adventure paths. I haven't started this yet ( still on book five of the Age of Ashes) but i can see my self actually using the reference manual which i don't currently do

Max: That's odd, but I think I know what you are referring to. I can provide some screenshots of what I do to see if that's essentially what you are looking for. Honestly, I don't use the "pin" (arrow) feature for images/maps.. instead, I would suggest just using it in a window and with the extra space you get for multiple monitors, setting it up in it's own space somewhere on that extra monitor. With the extra display area, you shouldn't need to pin the map just have it readily available in the new area.. you can still place things overtop it, etc., and just have it beneath when you need it. Let me know if I can help in any way.

hawkwind: That's great. I am hoping to make the Reference Manual the go-to place because it can offer some things that Story Mode can't. Needless to say, though, both need to be useful when called upon.

Thanks for the input!
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

It may just be that I need to organize my maps better. What I like about pinning is being able to click on the map without other windows getting buried behind it; it lets me quickly bounce between the map and the combat tracker without having to reshuffle windows. But perhaps I just need to get in the habit of not keeping anything overtop of my maps.

More on topic, I should be running my first session of Vaults on Sunday; I'll check out the reference manual and let you know what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    It may just be that I need to organize my maps better. What I like about pinning is being able to click on the map without other windows getting buried behind it; it lets me quickly bounce between the map and the combat tracker without having to reshuffle windows. But perhaps I just need to get in the habit of not keeping anything overtop of my maps.
    Put the current map you're working on in a hotkey slot - perhaps F1. Then press F1 (or click the slot) to bring the map to the front. If it's already at the front then F1 will close it, F1 to open it again.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

After my first session, here is my feedback:

*I don't know if this is a Unity thing or something that you are doing ShadeRaven, but I love that the maps have wide areas of black space around the actual map. That's a huge improvement over my previous experiences.

*The addition of said black space meant that stretching the program across two monitors and keeping the map on one was actually possible even with the map pinned, which worked perfectly for my needs. Really can't overstate how much I appreciate that.

*I didn't touch the physical book all session; I just used the various story entries and pins, and it worked very smoothly. However, I'm not entirely sure what the "Reference Manual" is or where to locate it, I must admit.

*Small complaint: The images associated with the monster entries are identified by default and do not have unidentified names set. This means that I need to manually add an unidentified name if I want to share the image without revealing the name of the monster.

*Smaller complaint: The haunt in A7 does not seem to have any automation at all, either monster automation or spells. I had to resolve all of its abilities completely manually, which was annoying.

*Even smaller complaint: The doors in A1 of the Gauntlight ruins being double doors that open individually instead of a larger single door like the door above that is a bit weird, and makes vision into that area a bit odd-looking because the space "between" the doors blocks vision.

*Vision took a while to figure out but eventually I got everything working like I wanted, except I can't seem to turn off players being able to see other players' vision.

*Movement took a while to figure out but eventually we mostly figured it out. It's a little annoying that the "confirm move" graphic doesn't warn you that the movement is going to be blocked by a wall. Also, tokens now seem to snap to quarter-grid tiles instead of half-grid tiles, which makes it harder to put a token exactly on a tile. Sometimes this messes up the movement calculation because you placed the token a quarter-tile too far and it adds an extra 5'.

Obviously not all of that has anything to do with you, ShadeRaven, but it's fresh in my mind so I wanted to put it all in one place.
    Last edited by MaxAstro; March 8th, 2021 at 02:22.

Max: Outstanding input!
    • Unity has the black space. It can be quite useful, indeed!
    • The Reference Manual can be found through the Library Entry of the Module in question. It'll be on the top.
    • Images are currently identified by default. I'll see what I can do about changing that.
    • A7's "haunt" is a Hazard. Unfortunately, Hazards are not ready for Automation at this point. We'll get there eventually, but for now - yeah, they are all by hand at this point and the more complex ones can be a bit of work to handle, especially in comparison to creature automation.
    • Doors and maps ... I know what you mean, but I tended to be very faithful to how they are portraited by the original map-mapper's rendition. So if a set of double doors have a wall section between them, I would consider them to be separate entities with a small separator section between them. I does offer some odd little line-of-sight interferences, though, you are right.
    • I believe there's a setting in Unity (under settings, of all things) that allows you to toggle player shared vision on or off. Party Vision or some such thing.
    • I haven't noticed the token snapping yet myself, but I am transitioning to Unity currently, too. I am sure that will make things a little awkward, but I also expect that there will be little tweaks and adjustments as this gets refined. Token movement and use will certainly get its fair share of attention.

I'll never complain about any input (even when its harsh)! And while you are right, not everything noted is in my realm of direct influence... BUT... there are eyes everywhere and those who listening
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

It would be nice if hazards had at least a little automation added via the spells window - in the case of this one, even just adding a spell with the Will save and the mental damage would have saved a fair amount of time.

But I understand that a huge amount of work goes into these books and asking for more is a bit rich of me.

Regarding images, is that a new thing? When I was running Age of Ashes with FGC, the majority of the images were not identified by default or at least had unidentified names input. I just looked over Hellknight Hill, for example, and basically every monster image is unidentified by default.

It's new, unfortunately, for me. I use a different system to develop than sciencephile, so that hadn't really landed on the radar yet.

As for a bit of automation for hazards. Hm. I'll see what we can come up with in the short term.

Very Nice ShadeRaven, one FYI, in the story section under overview there are links to Ruins of Radiant Siege.

Thread Information