STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Updated - Can't Launch on Mac (Mojave)

Update - Solved
    Solution from Moon Wizard and Jaharmi in March 2022. See their posts for more details, but the short version is there is a plist setting that is incorrect for screen width that caused the crash, and the solution was deleting the com.smiteworks and unity.smiteworks plist files and restarting.

---

I just ran the updater and FG crashes when I try to launch. Not sure where to dig for versions inside the app contents, but the jist of the crash log is:

Process: Fantasy Grounds [630]
    Path: /Applications/SmiteWorks/*/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/MacOS/Fantasy Grounds
    Identifier: unity.SmiteWorks.Fantasy Grounds
    Version: 1.0 (0)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: Fantasy Grounds [630]
    User ID: 501

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G8022)
    Report Version: 12
    Time Awake Since Boot: 80 seconds
    Crashed Thread: 0 tid_307 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
    validateTextureDimensions:1081: failed assertion `MTLTextureDescriptor has width (30720) greater than the maximum allowed size of 16384.'

I expect that I will wipe and re-install a clean copy this evening, unless something obvious pops up
    Last edited by fieldson; April 2nd, 2022 at 02:45. Reason: Update - Solved

The Fantasy Grounds main application was not updated in the update yesterday; only the data files and the updater application.

Please check any antivirus software you have installed; and make sure it is not blocking or quarantining the FantasyGrounds or FantasyGroundsUpdater applications.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the feedback. No issues on antivirus.

I tried a clean install, and still no success.

I notice the permissions on my MacBook (where the launch is crashing) are different from my iMac (haven't updated):

[ls -l@ for app on MacBook - doesn't work]
    drwxr-xr-x 3 gregory admin 96 Feb 17 17:42 FantasyGrounds.app

[ls -l@ for app on iMac - works]
    drwxrwxrwx@ 3 gregory admin 96 Dec 8 2019 FantasyGrounds.app
    com.apple.FinderInfo 32
    com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags 52

I am curious what the permissions should be, and if the updater may have changed, since I see permissions update in the logs.

I've forwarded to our developer who handles the Mac/Linux install/update; but he's in Texas where they are having power issues. Hopefully, he might have some ideas to try.

Regards,
    JPG

Last time I saw an issue like this it was ACLs ... you can check to see if you have ACLs on the FGU directories using ls -le
    .. and remove them recursively with chmod -RN

This is happening to me regularly. So far, the only cure is to delete an application and open an updater that will download the application again. You only need to delete the executable FantasyGrounds.app from the SW folder.
    I thought that this is something specific for my case (macOS 11 and M1 chip) but apparently is a widespread issue.

I've had a moment to try a few things:
    1.FantasyGrounds.app didn't have ACLs, but FGUpdated did, so I cleared those - no change
    2. I deleted the FantasyGrounds.app and reinstalled from the downloaded installer - no change
    3. I deleted the whole app folder (but not my data folder) and re-downloaded and run the install - no change
    4. I deleted the whole app folder re-installed, with a changed (empty) Data Directory, and chose ForceAppUpdate in the settings - no change

the failure remains the same:
    validateTextureDimensions:1081: failed assertion `MTLTextureDescriptor has width (30720) greater than the maximum allowed size of 16384.'

any thoughts on what to try next?

Can you provide some details about your hardware?

Thanks for your assistance. Please let me know if there's anything else I might try. At the moment, it occurs to me I could also run the uninstall script and delete any preferences..

Here's the info from About This Mac. I haven't made any hardware modifications to this since new.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
    MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1500 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
    (graphics is on auto-switching, but I run the notebook on power supply, so am almost always using the NVIDIA chips)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fieldson View Post
    I've had a moment to try a few things:
    1.FantasyGrounds.app didn't have ACLs, but FGUpdated did, so I cleared those - no change
    2. I deleted the FantasyGrounds.app and reinstalled from the downloaded installer - no change
    3. I deleted the whole app folder (but not my data folder) and re-downloaded and run the install - no change
    4. I deleted the whole app folder re-installed, with a changed (empty) Data Directory, and chose ForceAppUpdate in the settings - no change

the failure remains the same:

any thoughts on what to try next?
    Are you rebooting your Mac after the deletions? I have multiple Macs that I use with FGs and I've done several reinstalls of FGU. I have found it's best to restart your Mac before doing the reinstall.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Thread Information