DICE PACKS BUNDLE

economy question

out of curiosity.. does anyone have a feel for how the rolemaster economy compares to d&d? i know d&d has always been gold based but rolemaster is far more granular with silver, copper, tin, etc. as the bases for the economy.

But I was wondering how the conversion is... i mean, just change gp to sp and call it good or ???

anyone else ever done any conversion work like on a module or adventure path to come up with a good thumbrule?

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    out of curiosity.. does anyone have a feel for how the rolemaster economy compares to d&d? i know d&d has always been gold based but rolemaster is far more granular with silver, copper, tin, etc. as the bases for the economy.

But I was wondering how the conversion is... i mean, just change gp to sp and call it good or ???

anyone else ever done any conversion work like on a module or adventure path to come up with a good thumbrule?
    In FGU currencies are in the Options button. It's pretty open ended on defining what you want - rulesets default to names in those fields already. I'm not aware of any conversions done in FGU - though there may be extensions that do that sort of thing. I usually have to do it manually.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I think he is referring to how the different systems compare for economy.

Not being familiar with D&D in general myself, I can only go by what is in FG.

Couple of items for comparison:

Long Sword:
    RM: 18sp
    D&D5e: 15gp

Short Sword:
    RM: 7sp
    D&D5e: 10gp

Almost seems they have swapped SP for GP, or pretty close anyway.

Prices in RM are always a baseline, different places have different prices typically. Some books have multiple costs for different locales.

RM is supposed to be somewhat generic to allow it to be adapted to pretty much any setting.

If you wanted to keep the costs the same in the setting you could without any issues. Especially if you are converting an existing D&D adventure. Maybe just update the amount of starting coin for the characters (typically 2GP for new characters).

GP to SP is a simple conversion - does not hold true for every item but it sort of works as Sulimo indicates.

If you want to be super nerdy, any of Frances and Joseph Gies excellent books (Life In A Medieval Village, Life in a Medieval Town etc) will give you an idea of wage structure and costs, Ian Mortimer's, The Time Traveller's Guide To Medieval England is another very readable book that breaks down month by month what happens in a village (fields, holidays etc). The Harn RPG has a very comprehensive wage list and item cost which you could appropriate and adjust.

Stuart - thanks for the book suggestions. I've just added them to my Xmas list!

Thread Information