DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Effect to add bonus to save vs. specific spells

Is it possible to write syntax like IF: SPELL(Charm Person, Charm Monster, Dominate); SAVE: 2, or maybe IF: SPELLTYPE(Mind Affecting); SAVE: 2, in order to create an effect that gives a +2 save bonus to spells, but only mind affecting spells? Trying to add the player's options kits to my campaign manually.

You can do "SAVE: 2 mind" to create an effect that will give you +2 to saves versus mind-affecting spells. However, as it currently stands, none of the spells in purchasable FG modules are marked as "mind affecting" so this won't really work unless you go edit them yourselves (by going into the cast action of the spell and adding "mind" to the properties box in the whichever spells you desire). I know updating the PHB spells is on Celestian's list of things he wants to do but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done yet. I did add them for the OSRIC module I did (linked in my sig below) if you want to see some examples of how to do it.

The list of keywords like "mind" that you can use is a finite list (you can't just put in any word you want and have it work) but unfortunately I can't check what they are right now due to some computer issues. Somewhere in my OSRIC post (again, see my sig) I posted a list of all the spells I updated and which keywords I added to them, so that might give some guidance if you're going to do it yourself.

As far as I know, there is no way to set up a save bonus against one specific spell.
    Last edited by Sterno; February 12th, 2021 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by barles View Post
    Is it possible to write syntax like IF: SPELL(Charm Person, Charm Monster, Dominate); SAVE: 2, or maybe IF: SPELLTYPE(Mind Affecting); SAVE: 2, in order to create an effect that gives a +2 save bonus to spells, but only mind affecting spells? Trying to add the player's options kits to my campaign manually.
    I've recently added a feature that lets you add properties to spells/powers and an effect option to configure modifiers with those values.

Say you have a fireball spell, the property is "fire" and you have a druid that gets +1 to lightning and fire saves you'd give them the effect of "SAVE: 2, fire, lightning"

I've started the process over the past weeks adding properties to the core spells. Fireball and lightning for example already have those properties.

You can also add any properties to spells/powers you like but keep in mind effects require the ones listed as "damage" types or these:

Code:
      "bleed",
      "blind",
      "charm",
      "dark",
      "fear",
      "light",
      "mind",
      "sleep",
      "stun",
    If you try and add an effect that doesn't match those (damage types or the listed) the entire effect will be ignored.

If you have a cleric that gets +2 saves versus blind spells you'd make sure the property "blind" is on the spell and then give the character "SAVE: 2, blind".

Here is an example of a light spell. It has 2 properties, light and blind.

You can also do something similar with "magic resist". For example elves have a 90% resistance to sleep and charm. The effect would be "MR: 90, sleep,charm".
    Last edited by celestian; February 12th, 2021 at 18:40.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Really great and useful option!!!
    Thanks Celestian.

Thank you gentlemen, this is exactly what I need. I am running into an issue though, I can't edit the spells to add the properties. I clicked the gear icon, but there's no dialogue box under properties for me add a tag.

Quote Originally Posted by barles View Post
    Thank you gentlemen, this is exactly what I need. I am running into an issue though, I can't edit the spells to add the properties. I clicked the gear icon, but there's no dialogue box under properties for me add a tag.
    You have to have a local copy of the spell to change properties. The versions in the PHB cannot be directly edited.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Got it. Thanks for the guidance!

Celestian first let me compliment you I am a long time player been playing D&D and similar games for over 35 years; you made my life easier with the 2e-1e extension. Is there a recent update to that I can currently replace because recent updates have caused RIP & status of enemy not functional even if setup as yes in setup also all these new feature updates is there a new extention we can add to the 2e-1e properties?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Morganwolf View Post
    Celestian first let me compliment you I am a long time player been playing D&D and similar games for over 35 years; you made my life easier with the 2e-1e extension. Is there a recent update to that I can currently replace because recent updates have caused RIP & status of enemy not functional even if setup as yes in setup also all these new feature updates is there a new extention we can add to the 2e-1e properties?

Regards
    I wont be able to look at the 1e extension until next week. I don't recall anything in it that should cause issues tho. Technically it's just a list of values and nothing more.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I wont be able to look at the 1e extension until next week. I don't recall anything in it that should cause issues tho. Technically it's just a list of values and nothing more.
    Thanks, hate to be a bother but it seems that the 17 ability score has always been messed up and does not come out right for any character made, if you could check that too much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Morganwolf; February 18th, 2021 at 23:03.

Thread Information