5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    I know with Dundgeondraft, someone released a free tool that converts the vtt map into png and an xml file that can read the walls and doors (but unfortunately can't differentiate between doors and windows).

Hopefully it wouldn't be TOO difficult for Dungeon Alchemist to do something similar. However, as others have said, even if all I can get are 2d maps, I don't mind adding LOS myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Exactly! That's how I feel. But it bothers me when people say, "Oh this is going to be so great when they add support for X." Sometimes, that next step never happens.
    Agreed. Looks great as is for the price. Definitely has value if it performs as advertised. I wonder if/what discussions they have had with the people at Fantasy Grounds...

If this becomes a popular map making tool, the Steamworks mod support is great. It allows for fan made stuff to very easily be added. Which would certainly help smaller genres (basically everything other than fantasy) to get greater support.

With all the money they got, hope that they work on more free form construction. The FAQ states with the questions "Can I only do square or rectangular rooms?" that only 90 degree corners is possible now, which makes natural cave dungeons impossible.

Their issue currently is that for their AI generated maps, objects that are not square\rectangular in nature causes them problems. I am sure that with how much they have generated with this Kickstarter, that eventually they will include some other form of rooms\et al, but that is going to be outside what they are delivering from this Kickstarter and their initial design. And even with that limitation, I am really happy with what they are promising to deliver as this package. I can deal with square\rectangular rooms for an on-the-fly creation when I need it, or for pre-made things that fit the mold. Outside that, I have DungeonDraft to make my caves, whatnot.

They shared a screenshot of a map exported to Fantasy Grounds Unity the other day on their discord, inlcuding all the walls/doors LOS information and lights, etc.

It's looking really good (and beta starts in about a month too).

Beta started today, my DM just showed told me how impressed he was with the map builder... But he hadn't time to test the imports into Fantasy Grounds yet.

Anyone gave the Dungeon Alchemist exported maps a test run on Fantasy Grounds?
    2D seems like a no brainer for me (you can map a JPG so... easy) but what about 3D?

I guess my question is : How compatible are DA's export into FG?

EDIT: I know. DA just came out as Beta. Might be a tad optimistic here
    Last edited by Hyrkali; October 16th, 2021 at 21:55.
    Hyrkali

@Gwydion actually ran a Twitch session on this. It looks darn cool. I'm in the beta too but haven't done anything with it yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9n3ID-VVFc

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrkali View Post
    Beta started today, my DM just showed told me how impressed he was with the map builder... But he hadn't time to test the imports into Fantasy Grounds yet.

Anyone gave the Dungeon Alchemist exported maps a test run on Fantasy Grounds?
    2D seems like a no brainer for me (you can map a JPG so... easy) but what about 3D?

I guess my question is : How compatible are DA's export into FG?

EDIT: I know. DA just came out as Beta. Might be a tad optimistic here
    I've had a quick play with the top-down FGU export, and it creates an XML with the image which defines wall, door and window occluders and adds lights as well. Currently they don't appear to be the correct colour (black lights), but it's looking pretty damn good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    @Gwydion actually ran a Twitch session on this. It looks darn cool. I'm in the beta too but haven't done anything with it yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9n3ID-VVFc
    Looking at the video, I noticed he was exporting the FGU maps in "Perpective (3D Walls)" so the walls in FG are larger in some farther-from-camera area (you can notice that on the "Castle DA" map when he turns LoS On at 1h05m34s https://youtu.be/S9n3ID-VVFc?t=3934 - The far right wall is larger then those closer to the camera). So pretty accurate and probably map size depending: 3D would probably work better on small map since the walls would be of similar size.
    See screenshot (took from the video mentioned above) :

Do have to fiddle and nudge the grid in position (or is it fine if you export with grid on?) but that's minor.

As for the top-down export that Mu77ley showed, it seems just great! Just the fact that LOS and Lights are all included in the exported XML is a big tedious job less for my DM!

I'll be watching my friend play with it but yeah, nice tool it seems!
    Last edited by Hyrkali; October 16th, 2021 at 23:50.
    Hyrkali

Had to try it out. Even in beta, its pretty impressive what the software can do, and how well it exports to Unity.

Lights are exported blank, so you have to go through and set them to whatever type of light you want. Pretty simple fix if you ask me.

DASS.jpg

Thread Information