DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Add multiple attack fields to a weapon and some effect macro questions

After getting such a quick and nice response to my first questions, I would like to ask you all some more. All of this came up when we played through “The Fall of Plaguestone”.

1. Is there any way to add more than one “Damage” Field to a weapon?
    I am well aware, that you can add multiple damage dice to the same attack roll, to add a fire rune or something similar. But our alchemist is happily using the “Alchemical Crossbow” which turns his Action tab into what you can see in the attachment.

Our fighter is using a Bastard Sword and needed to create a manual weapon entry for the two-handed strike as well. Lastly our dwarf ranger uses a clan dagger. When we fought the stone horse, he had to change the damage type from piercing to bludgeoning, just to make use of the weapon’s versatile trait. Now he also has a manually created second version of the weapon taking up extra space.

I know that simply adding them to the weapon would most likely still list them below each other, due to the way the character sheet is laid out, but it would all at least be part of the weapon whenever it changes inventory. Ideal might actually be an option to switch the normal damage field to those small spell buttons. The crossbow in my example would have 6 buttons that take up less space than one damage field if the crossbow is loaded with a bomb.

2. Some effect macros still allude me.
    It was easy enough to create the effect buttons for the Energy and Stone Body Mutagen by following the examples in the drag and drop extension by ShadeRaven. But sadly, True Strike is not able to be automated by me. I thought about adding the effect “ADVATK” from the D&D 5e ruleset, as this would work perfectly, but this effect currently does not carry over between the 2 rulesets.

I also tried to add the 1d6 damage bonus from bombs of the above-mentioned crossbow as a spell effect, as an alternative to what is currently under his action tab. Maybe I am overlooking something again, but I seem to find no way to properly define the rules as to when it ends and where it applies.
    “DMG: 1d6 fire” is easy enough, normal duration 1 minute. Now how to define that it could also expend after three actions and that those actions can only be a ranged attack with the crossbow? If I just use “expend on next action” it will be applied to whatever damage roll comes next, be it crossbow or maybe an alchemical bomb. There is the option to tell him that he needs to press the button each time before he shoots the crossbow, but this will most likely lead to quite a few mistakes. Can’t wait for the acid flask to apply an additional 1d6 fire.

Finally, there is the “Stalwart’s Ring”. Currently the player has a “HEAL: [Self], 5 temporary” spell that he can click after each overnight rest. I remember an old thread asking about the possibility to add effects to items. Trenloe shared a link to Fantasy Grounds Friday where the problems with parsing the Pathfinder text are clearly explained. I can certainly understand and would not want you to invest too much time automating everything by hand. If the option is there, I can certainly try to do so myself for whatever my party is using. There already is an automation field in the Abilities/Feats I am happily filling wherever I find it useful for our party. This is sadly still missing for items. Right now, I can go the roundabout way and create a feat for the item effect. But what I would like to know about this:
    Is there an effect command that applies the “HEAL: [Self], 5 temporary” effect whenever I give the party an Overnight rest?

Thank you everyone in advance. Especially all of you that read through all of my rambling here.
    I know that those problems are nothing major, I would just like to find a possible solution I might miss, as that would really help later on, when I start to create some new magic items for the party.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Benlyd; February 6th, 2021 at 04:44. Reason: Some typos, wrong number

Hello!

1) Multiple damage fields is a good idea. The savage worlds ruleset has a feature where you can add sub attacks. It would be nice to see this in the pf2e ruleset someday. At the moment just creating a new attack works though
    2) /die 2d20k1 should keep highest d20
    you can toggle effects to expire after next roll - it is one of the little buttons to the left of the effect
    3) I think there is a paid-for extension that adds effects to items but I don't know if it works for pf2e. I am not sure if this is a feature that is on Trenloe's massive list
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Thank you for your response. I finally got home from work and have some time to respond.

1. You are certainly correct; I can just create a new attack/weapon in the action tab. That is actually the way I am handling it in the screenshot.

In my, admittedly extreme, example I would have quite a few problems when the player adds a Striking Rune, as only the original crossbow would change its damage dice when I add “striking” under the “Properties” field of the crossbow. All of the other I would have to modify by hand.
    Same problem if the player got the “Crossbow Terror” feat, as the Alchemical Crossbow is officially a Simple Ranged Weapon and would benefit from the increased weapons die and the flat +2 bonus.

And now imagine another player wants to get an alchemist as well and both trade the weapon between each other. As the entries I created myself do not have the little red info box, I could not even drag and drop them between the player sheets.
    But overall, I know it is not that important. One can dream though.

2. The die roll you mention is really helpful, but I sadly see no way to integrate it as an effect, so that it would be applied whenever he clicks or drags the Attack field of his Greatsword. This way it would automatically do a proper attack roll against the target and check for Crit, Hit, Miss with the correct bonuses and MAPs applied.

And as for the effect, I might have to explain the crossbow better, as I most likely explained it poorly. The crossbow functions as follows: You can use it as a normal crossbow, but with reduced range, due to the mechanism mounted on it. This mechanism allows the user to load and alchemical bomb into to apply 1d6 damage of the bombs damage type to be applied to the next 3 bolts shot with it. The effect either ends if 3 bolts are shot or 1 minute is over.
    Currently I can define the duration as 1 minute, but only have the option to “Expend? On next action”. This would mean that after every damage roll the effect is gone and my player would have to reapply it before each of the 3 shots. Is there currently no option to say “expend after x actions” or am I just overlooking it?
    Furthermore, the program currently does not care about where the damage roll comes from. That makes sense, but sadly leads to it also being applied to a thrown Alchemist Fire or something similar. I tried to define the effect with [range], so that it would only apply to ranged attacks, but I seem to have made a mistake there and as long as I keep the line in, it never applies.

3. I am also not sure if it already is on Trenloe’s list. I thought so, after I watched the old Fantasy Grounds Friday Video, but there is already so much work that it most likely is not high priority. I might have to look into the extension for now.

4. Something new that just came up. I was trying to create a homebrew rune for a player. It would give the player a +5 to attack rolls, but due to the targeting help, status bonuses from Strength or Dexterity would not apply for the damage roll and a critical hit is impossible (or only with a natural 20).
    Giving the bonus is no problem, just a “ATK: +5”. What would I need to add to take away for example a +4 to damage due to the Strength modifier? And how can I tell the program with an effect macro that no crits are possible, as long as the effect is active?

Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by Benlyd; February 6th, 2021 at 20:50. Reason: bad grammar

When my player received the Alchemical Crossbow, I made an action for him to load it.

Alchemical crossbow.jpg

I also set up each of his bombs as "spells", so the "ranged" descriptor won't apply to those, only the crossbow as it's his only ranged weapon. I've not found a way to get it to automatically expire after 3 shots, so I just make sure it gets removed after the third.
    Last edited by Darkrite; February 7th, 2021 at 00:31.

Thank you very much. That is working wonderfully.
    And now I also realize why this was not working for me. I misread the information in the wiki and wrote "[range]" instead of the "ranged" I should have placed.

Now I just need to be careful to remove the effect after the 3 shots. Hopefully there could be an option "Expend?" "After X actions" under the Spell/Ability Effect window in the future.
    Last edited by Benlyd; February 7th, 2021 at 02:01. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Intemperiae View Post
    Hopefully there could be an option "Expend?" "After X actions" under the Spell/Ability Effect window in the future.
    You can set a condition on the alchemist with an arbitrary name like "Fire Loaded" that has a duration of 3 uses as a spell effect tied to applying the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by adamdane View Post
    You can set a condition on the alchemist with an arbitrary name like "Fire Loaded" that has a duration of 3 uses as a spell effect tied to applying the damage.
    Thank you for your response, but could you please elaborate further?

I looked into the Conditions in the "Effects" window and tried to create a custom one. As far as I can tell, the options as to what effect I can create are exactly the same between the spell effect and condition effect, as they are the same thing, effects that can be applied.
    You can still only choose between a standard duration of X rounds, minutes, hours, days or for it to end after one roll/action. Applying it three times would only lead to three separate instances that all end at the same action.

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but I see no way for me to modify the effect as to the way you are describing. The duration is, as listed above, a fixed number of x rounds and the expend option only allows me to do so after one action/roll.
    Last edited by Benlyd; February 19th, 2021 at 02:18. Reason: typos

You know what, I think you're right, I must have been misremembering how the duration and the expenditures worked together. Willing to bet there's some finagling that would get the desired behavior, though.

Thread Information