DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Super Noob Questions

I have never played a game of Dungeons & Dragons. Any edition. I’ve always been very interested, but none of my friends even gave trying the game a second thought.

This week I have been watching countless videos on how to play and have learned tons of details about 5th Edition.

I do, however, have some very easy to answer questions that are probably typical to noobs, but can’t seem to find the answer to in the Players Handbook or Google.

Here it goes:

The official rules give instructions on leveling characters up to 20. Can you go past this? Can DM’s scale up their campaign to whatever level they want?

Can you carry over a higher level character to a new campaign, or do you have to/should you create a new character for each experience?

Beyond the standard equipment you can start with, is there magical equipment you can find in the rule books? Can DM’s make their own magical equipment? Is there guidelines to

I am a spammer

Thanks for any and all answers! I can’t tell you all how excited I am to find a group to play with
    Last edited by damned; April 7th, 2021 at 04:51.

Blog Entries
    Welcome!

The only higher than level 20 official rules are what are called "Boons" and are presented in the Dungeon Master's Guide. But their are various unofficial rules for leveling past 20. But very few games play that high. Most people feel that the game is most enjoyable well below level 20. And yes, a DM can scale their campaign to any level they want.

Re-using characters, it depends upon the DM. Some will ask you to bring a character, other (most?) will want you to create a new character. Campaigns are usually level specific, so the DM will say 'start at level ' or whatever and won't allow you to bring a higher level character.

Yes, there is lots of magical equipment. Again it's in the Dungeon Master's Guide, plus many of the non-core books (Volos, etc) have more magic items in them.

Checkout www.fantasygroundscollege.net and once again, welcome!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

first, Welcome to the game!

Officially for balance reasons the highest character level is 20, but a level 20 character is practically a demi-god in the sense of what they can do compared to a "normal" everyday d&d citizen. In fact a standard run of the mill merchant or citizen of a d&d world is typically level 0... some iterations break this mold and will have retired adventurers as NPC's (non player characters) you can interact with but that is usually a rare NPC and not that standard iteration.

Because you (DM / GM) create the world and can modify the rules as you see fit, (table rules / home brewed) you can certainly change this but as someone who has been playing for about 30 years I have never had a character actually reach level 20 that started from level 1. Some games will allow you to start at a high level but if youre just starting I highly suggest starting at level 1 and working your way up to get a through understanding of how the different skills / abilities / rules all interact with each other a few at a time. A good way to think of this is that there is just as much adventure opportunity for a level 1 character as there is for a level 20 character... there is just ALOT more "buttons" (skills / spells / abilities / attacks / etc) to have to juggle on both sides, (monsters & players) for a level 20.

Carrying over characters is up to the DM / GM. Some will allow it, others wont. Typically because of the totally different styles of play or campaigns each DM/ GM runs. Normally you will want to create a new character for each new DM / GM as per the specifications of their campaign / genre. (i.e.: a character from Darksun setting might not fit well into a Steampunk setting, and with each GM / DM having their own home brewed / table rules... you'll most likely want to make a new PC.) (you can import / export characters in FG)

There are tons of magical items available in the books, and you can create your own. There are guidelines for creating items & spells & anything you want, but its all about balance. Making a sword that can cut through anything or a ring that lets you turn into a ghost can seriously unbalance a lower level game. Typically the higher level the campaign, the more powerful the items / spells.

Good luck & remember the most important #1 rule.... Have fun ~!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Just another spammer
    What’s going on?!?! This is happening a lot recently or, am I just now noticing?

What’re they trying to accomplish? (Confused) ��

Well spammers are getting more sophisticated by making what seems to be legitimate posts and then leaving things lie for a while before then using future posts to spam stuff. This makes their spam look less like spam - however damned is particularly adept at sniffing these rodents out (it's because he comes from Australia - where everything is out to try and kill you - so he has a nose for things that are out of place )
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    What’re they trying to accomplish? (Confused) ��
    They are trying to get you to click on a link that is inserted later, after the post gets a few responses.

LMAO Zacchaeus

Ahhhh, thanks! I guess even at 55 I haven’t seen everything...

Thread Information