DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Questions about Fantasy Grounds and DnD 5e

Hello,

I have been playing some fantasy grounds Curse of Strahd and I am enjoying it. I do not own a physical copies of the books so was wondering peoples thoughts on a few things.

Are the digital books a good replacement or is it better to have both?

Do the adventures add anything outside of using the modules? (thinking items, monsters and stuff) or should i just not buy them until I want to play them?

Is there a list of what books I would need to buy to have all character/class options at the moment and every option for creating adventures?

I am a spammer
    Last edited by damned; April 7th, 2021 at 04:17.

Blog Entries
    Everything in the printed book is duplicated in the FG module. Added bonus is the automation that FG offers is already set up.

If you are building your own adventures, IMO you'd want the MM and DMG, although opinions vary on the DMG (its worth it for the automated parcel generation from the treasure tables alone IMO).

A very good idea getting the PHB.

You can enter things yourself, but this is a time vs money trade off and you're looking at a lot of hours of data entry to get even close to the full capacity of what FG offers if you go the manual route.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I would like to have the physical book handy as well... but that's only a preference thing. The digital versions have all of the information in them.

Welcome to Fantasy Grounds

The digital books are a good replacement, in my experience. The included reference manuals make the digital books easy to read, understand, and use. That said, some people just enjoy reading a real book.

Each adventure module generally contains an assortment of monsters and NPC's that players can interact with. They also contain useful tables, templates, items, encounters, and more. You can easily find things to pull from various adventures, in the process of building your own unique adventure. They are useful but by no means are they required. The included 5E SRDs are more than enough to build/run an adventure.

As JohnD stated, it really comes down to how much time you want to invest in data entry.

Blog Entries
    I have most of the WotC 5E book on FG. The only one I own a physical copy of is Frostmaiden, and that's because it was a gift/reward for running some games at a Con.

The FG books are all you need. But, it does take a shift in mindset and a willing attitude to give up physical books. I did it years ago when I used to travel for work. Didn't matter how many books I carried with me, my laptop still weighed the same. Not true with physical books.

Give the FG book versions a chance, don't forget to use the Reference Manual to 'read' them like a book. Then if you can't make the switch, you can start buying the physical copies too.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The digital books can be a good replacement. You will certainly want to get them to avoid having to input the material yourself. Whether you want the physical ones too is going to be a personal preference. I still have the PH, MM and DMG for face to face, but I haven't bought a physical adventure in a long time.

I'd suggest you start with the FG books you are interested in and see how much you miss the physical copies.

Some further details for you here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I ran Curse of Strahd and had the physical book handy. Here are the pros and cons of the hardcover. Pros: If your screen real estate is at premium, its one less window (or windows); you can read it away from the computer; you can add bookmarks, highlights, underlines to emphasize text in the adventure; Cons: every D&D adventure I've read is organized in a way to make it as hard to read as possible; your players won't see any of the maps; I know I've already mentioned organization, but the way Castle Ravenloft is displayed and described in this book is horrible.

That being said, before I started my next adventure I bought the book. I spend so much time in front of a screen, I like having a physical book to go through while making notes.

I have nearly 500 hours on FG Classic Ultimate, as a DM, total preparing and playing since 2016.

I can say that physical copies are really not required. Buy them only in case you think to play also at the table or in case you want to read the module without staying too many hours at the PC. I too have some copies physical copies of the modules I own in FG, but there is really no real need. On FG there is everything.

If you play 5e I strongly advice the 4 expansions, Volo, Xanathar, Tasha, Mordenkainen. They will open u many possibilities.

Would be nice to have on FGU a way to change the FONT or to make it bigger without enlarging the UI. Maybe they will do it in the future. Or maybe is already there, I am pretty new of FG Unity-

Thread Information