DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Understanding Dramatic Tasks

I'm trying to understand Dramatic Tasks. I clicked on Dramatic Tasks in combat tracker. Why do I need to deal a new turn card for the character attempting the dramatic task each round? Can't they go in the order they were already given when I deal action cards to all the players? When the new turn card comes up, do I use that new turn card as their order in the round instead of the one already dealt them? Thanks for any info!
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

I'm still pretty new to the system, but the rules for dramatic tasks state that action cards are dealt as usual. While it's not explicitly stated, this would also imply that any character that would normally get multiple cards is given those extra cards as normal. The logic in Fantasy Grounds is just following the rules.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbrown30 View Post
    I'm still pretty new to the system, but the rules for dramatic tasks state that action cards are dealt as usual. While it's not explicitly stated, this would also imply that any character that would normally get multiple cards is given those extra cards as normal. The logic in Fantasy Grounds is just following the rules.
    Thanks. I was just wondering because in combat tracker, the deal cards icon appears like you're supposed to deal the person doing the dramatic task a new card each round. But that person also has the action card he was already dealt, so I was wondering which one takes precedence.
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

As far as I know, and the way I have been playing, is that they still get their multiple cards: reasons include the fact that there is Jokers ,bennies all around and a +2 bonus; Calculating (bonus for acting at 5 or lower) to take into consideration; and COMPLICATIONS, see page 123 in SWADE.

COMPLICATIONS: Summary, something for character has gone wrong and rolls are made at a -2 Penalty; Failures are MUCH worse. Anyone who acts on a CLUB during a dramatic task will face a complication during that round of actions, some settings or situations will even have a chart of random specific Complications.

Depending on your comfort and creativity you may even make the complication as something else, I have done Quick Combats or just Tests vs GM/NPC during a Dramatic Task as complications with consequences if they failed.

Summary: The simple is something went wrong for a player and their roll is penalized as a result. So if you leave cards as is, Jokers and Complications will stay on same people. Also some Hindrances will kick off depending on their Action card.

You don't have to force players to act in card order though if not needing to do specific actions in a specific order, it is useful to help keep things straight rather than having everyone speaking/acting at once.

I would make a player wanting to benefit from their Calculating Edge, make them act appropriately to get benefit, waiting to people with higher cards to have acted then going after anyone with a 6 or higher, ignoring Jokers.
    Last edited by Mgrancey; February 3rd, 2021 at 03:10.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    I'm trying to understand Dramatic Tasks. I clicked on Dramatic Tasks in combat tracker. Why do I need to deal a new turn card for the character attempting the dramatic task each round?
    You don't. They just the one action card the same as everyone else.

When you start a Dramatic Task on the CT it can only populate the tracker on a new rounds. If the cards already out simply click on the show action cards button then drag the current card into the Dramatic Task solver.

Can't they go in the order they were already given when I deal action cards to all the players?
    Yes they go in the order already given. They don't get another card.

It's not explicitly stated that there is two cards because that does not happen.
    Thanks. I was just wondering because in combat tracker, the deal cards icon appears like you're supposed to deal the person doing the dramatic task a new card each round. But that person also has the action card he was already dealt, so I was wondering which one takes precedence.
    Nope. One card only.

When the new turn card comes up, do I use that new turn card as their order in the round instead of the one already dealt them? Thanks for any info!
    Every time they get a new action card in the next round in automatically will appear in both positions on the tracker. They only get one card per round.

Ok now add players that mess with it

Note the players are savage. Do not expect lot of automation here as players can change their minds on how to approach a problem. There are several optional ways a Player can force the GM to give him a new action card. They go on that new action card. For example if a character’s Action Card is a Club. He can spend a bennie to change the card with hope of getting another suit. Edges may also lead to mutiple action cards to pick from.

You then need to make the same card appear in the Dramatic Task solver. So if you look carefully at the right mouse buttom menu and also open the players action had tool. It is possible to draw down cards from the players action hand or remove old cards from the Dramatic Task solver so that the task card here is the same as the action card picked by the player. Once the card shown on both tools is the same action card. Roll the relevant skill and drop the result under the card and move on. You can ctrl-scroll this number if necessary.

At the end on the task click the solve button and the result drops to chat. It reports that number of cards used and totals up the number of successes for that player.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; July 2nd, 2021 at 03:24.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    It's not explicitly stated that there is two cards because that does not happen.
    Pretty sure you're wrong on this. The rules for Dramatic Tasks state, "Characters are dealt Action Cards as usual during a Dramatic Task." Then, for example, the text of the Quick edge states, "Whenever you are dealt an Action Card of Five or lower, you may discard it and draw again until you get a card higher than Five." Nothing in there indicates that anything should be different for combat vs a DT.

Pretty sure you're wrong on this. The rules for Dramatic Tasks state, "Characters are dealt Action Cards as usual during a Dramatic Task." Then, for example, the text of the Quick edge states, "Whenever you are dealt an Action Card of Five or lower, you may discard it and draw again until you get a card higher than Five." Nothing in there indicates that anything should be different for combat vs a DT.
    I am pretty sure you need to read my post again. It says exactly there are ways draw more that one action card. If you have two cards and you ditch one, how many are left?
    Good now put the same card you picked in both positions on the CT and don't go looking for GUI instructions in the rule book

You end up on your current card x number of rounds later...and yet can still see every old card you had for the whole task in bottom line if your are using the interface correctly.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; July 2nd, 2021 at 11:14.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

I am pretty sure you need to read my post again. It says exactly there are ways draw more that one action card. If you have two cards and you ditch one, how many are left?
    Good now put the same card you picked in both positions on the CT and don't go looking for GUI instructions in the rule book

You end up on your current card x number of rounds later...and yet can still see every old card you had for the whole task in bottom line if your are using the interface correctly.
    Hmm, okay. I guess I'm just not following what you're trying to say because I got the exact opposite out of your post i.e. you get one card, only one card, and you don't get a new card in a new round. You repeated yourself about one card so many times, I'm not sure how anyone would interpret that in any other way.

To be 100% clear on what I'm saying, DTs are handled identical to combat. Every participant gets a number of action cards based on their edges and this happens for every round. This is especially important for clubs and jokers and so that DTs can be worked seamlessly into combats.

If that's the point you're trying to make, I agree with you, but that's not what I got from reading your post.

You don't. They just the one action cardIt's not explicitly stated that there is two cards because that does not happen.
    While I'm agreeing with 90% of what you stated in your reply, I believe you missed what ddbrown30 was referring to there. His reference was to this line in the 'Performing the Task' paragraph in the Dramatic Task rules in SWADE:

"Characters are dealt Action Cards as usual during a Dramatic Task."

While that paragraph doesn't specifically make mention of additional cards, the "as usual" reference means that if an edge like Quick would allow a character to draw PC a 2nd card, they also draw that 2nd card when performing a DT. The same applies when using the FG Combat Tracker.

Back to the original question. The special 'Redeal or drop card here' box is displayed in the CT when a Dramatic Task is applied to identify those cards that are clubs, as they trigger complications. Notice that when you drag a club into that box, "Dramatic Task Complication (-2)" text is automatically displayed in the chat window. You still have to manually enter the -2 penalty in the Modifier box; if there's a way to automate that, I'm not aware of how. If you've clicked the [Show Cards] icon at the bottom of the CT as Lonewolf mentioned, the cards automatically dealt will be displayed for every character. If a character performing a DT doesn't get to draw an additional card, just drag their auto-dealt card into the 'Redeal or drop card here' box. If they do get a 2nd card and it's the one they chosen for the action ordering, drag it into the box instead.

Note that this can be quite important with DTs, as there may be situations where a player or GM chooses a club when it's a 2nd card drawn. I.e. it may be worth risking taking a -2 complication penalty, if the club drawn is a much higher card that would therefore allow a character to be higher in the action order and avoid actions from foes that're attempting to thwart them.
    Last edited by kronovan; July 5th, 2021 at 21:03.

Think I should point something put, cause it seem to be mentioned that if players are doing a pure Dramatic Task, not while in some kind of combat, initiative order is more fluid and players can choose when to go.

Obviously if the Dramatic task is mixed with Combat or a Chase, order will be more important and could effect the outcome. Such as if you are attempting to defuse a bomb while being attacked by those who set it.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thread Information