FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by macDsinfo View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing - why not just make them in fgu? is there a performance hit using the software to do it all?
    There can be. But it can go either way.

For instance, say you make a map in FGU using 5 different tiles for a map that is 20 x 20 tiles (so maybe 200 x 200 squares). FGU only has to load those 5 different image assets. Very fast, much faster/less RAM usage than if I create that same 20x20 map in something else and import it (assuming same asset resolution/number of pixels).

But, if instead in FGU take that same map as above and add a few thousand different elements to it (stamps, brushes, etc) to detail out the walls, furniture, bushes and everything else. Then MAYBE that will require more processing than an image made externally that doesn't have overlapping image entities (because once exported, it's just one pixel for each pixel).

Maybe cpinder might have some thoughts, but it's not a simple issue and is going to be dependent upon each use case. Personally, if you don't already have a preferred mapping program, then just learn mapping in FGU if you don't need more than what it provides. Josh has done some pretty amazing maps with it, see his stream or this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...odule-Exchange

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    My worry is that if I end the subscription all my maps would turn into piles question marks.
    Which is why the art pack subscription is not for me

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    There can be. But it can go either way.

For instance, say you make a map in FGU using 5 different tiles for a map that is 20 x 20 tiles (so maybe 200 x 200 squares). FGU only has to load those 5 different image assets. Very fast, much faster/less RAM usage than if I create that same 20x20 map in something else and import it (assuming same asset resolution/number of pixels).

But, if instead in FGU take that same map as above and add a few thousand different elements to it (stamps, brushes, etc) to detail out the walls, furniture, bushes and everything else. Then MAYBE that will require more processing than an image made externally that doesn't have overlapping image entities (because once exported, it's just one pixel for each pixel).

Maybe cpinder might have some thoughts, but it's not a simple issue and is going to be dependent upon each use case. Personally, if you don't already have a preferred mapping program, then just learn mapping in FGU if you don't need more than what it provides. Josh has done some pretty amazing maps with it, see his stream or this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...odule-Exchange
    ok, but I still thought that that even with an intricate map, it is better to let FGU do it because the software is handling it all on the client side. having the maps preloaded I thought might make a difference, too, as the initial load might be longer, once in, everything seems smooth.

I have no idea how the processing is distributed with the maps made in fgu; I would love to know more about it - because the maps are great, but I use ALOT of the assets to make them...

Blog Entries
    I don't know if map assets are processed on the client of host side. That would be beneficial in many cases, but could also cause differences between what is displayed or performance with different clients.

wonder if we can find out answers to these questions, as figuring out best practices to optimize performance is something in which I am very interested...

The ability to export maps as jpeg or some such is essential. The slowness in making big maps is frustrating.as a n00b to mapping I am sure I can streamline my approach, but finding how has been a challenge. The gen con tutorial was great, Joshua's art is great. I hope that there is a way to speed it up. I have been trying to minimise the amount of images and layers.

I have started now with arkenforge and plan to import maps then use some detail from fg for logging stuff.

Now its very important one understands I'm by no means great at map making, but its a skill I'd like to improve as I do enjoy creating my own maps. That said I really like Inkarnate Pro - outdoor maps can be whipped up in literally just minutes yet they look really good. I also own CC3 , still trying to learn it as it has a steep learning curve but its a very powerful map maker. From what I've read a lot of the "pro" map makers even use it. (Most notable , oh crap I forgot his last name --- first name is Mike, but he makes maps for official Wotc stuff, CC3 is one of the tools he uses). I'm JUST and I mean literally in the last week playing around with the FGU mapping tools. I also use Dungeon Painter Studio , but I haven't touch that for a couple months now.

Personally, I use Dungeondraft and Wonderdraft. I'm eagerly awaiting Project Deios (the alpha shows promise). Dungeon Painter Studio is available on Steam as a installed program and pretty good if you get used to it. He's working on a new version that includes a FGU export, supposedly. FlowScape also can be used for some gorgeous outdoor maps, but the UI is janky as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    ... (Most notable , oh crap I forgot his last name --- first name is Mike, but he makes maps for official Wotc stuff, CC3 is one of the tools he uses)...
    Mike Schley.

I'm buy the art packs slowly and using the sub. But Forgotten Adventures asset packs for map making work in FGU and are pretty cheap considering how many brushes, textures and other assets you get for a patreon sub. FGU maps are the way to go - low latency because players don't have to load huge bitmap maps they just download the assets brushes and FG builds the map at the players end. Plus interactive maps! Think about it.

Thread Information