Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

FGU Mapping Tools - Multiple LOS

Is it possible to assign different LOS to different layers on a map?

I want to make an Inn with a roof, and 2 floors. So when the party goes in the ground floor they get the ground floor LOS, and when they go upstairs, I hide the ground floor layer, and reveal the 1st floor layer ('mericans would call it the 2nd floor) and its own LOS. Seems like it should be possible.

You absolutely can. Just make sure that you have the ground floor selected before you start drawing your LOS for it, otherwise Fantasy Grounds will create a new layer for LOS. Do the same thing for the next floors you want to add. When you turn off visibility for the upper floors, the LOS for those floors also becomes hidden. Just keep in mind that if you are using large maps/images, then you may see some performance loss as these will end up being quite large files to share.

I believe that you can do this but I've never tried to do it. One thing is don't have LoS in a folder - I know that doesn't work.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I have each floor in a folder - so it pretty much has to be in a folder, seems like a bug for it not to work like that. But if it doesn't work I can always name each LOS layer after the floor. Thanks to you both.

Having multiple floors on one map, if it doesn't over load the computer (hopefully turning off layers is a stress relief to the FGU load) - would mean not having to load a new map and move the players onto it.. when they use the stairs to go to the next level, you just hide the old one, reveal the new, and wibble around the tokens if they are out of position.

Blog Entries
    imo the problem putting 2 floors overlaid on the same map is what happens when the party is not all on the same floor? Also, what happens when a tokens revealed LOS from floor 1 when you turn off those layers and turn on floor 2?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, in an inn being on 2 floors can be a problem. I have the stair line up so if the tokens are on the stairs the map won't reveal the LOS except the stairs. I was just thinking about last time the party were in the Inn, and how they were fighting on 2 floors, come back here and you have said exactly what I was thinking! LOL

In a dungeon of course, having them move floors is usually a party wide thing.

Still I'm just learning the tools for maps in FGU - I have a map made in Dungeondraft with a corridor blocked with furniture - which are assets on the FGU map so when the players move the furniture, I can clear the corridor for them.

EDIT: A major utility is having a building with just a door, and then taking the roof off when the party enters...

Talking of the mappng tools - the layers defaulting to open every time you reload is a pain in the neck. Please can you have them remember the state they were in before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Talking of the mappng tools - the layers defaulting to open every time you reload is a pain in the neck. Please can you have them remember the state they were in before.
    Seconded, emphatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    I have each floor in a folder - so it pretty much has to be in a folder, seems like a bug for it not to work like that. But if it doesn't work I can always name each LOS layer after the floor. Thanks to you both.
    Did this scenario successfully with LOS layers in the floor folders - just had to toggle the folder visibility for each floor. May have gotten better in the past few months but occasionally LOS would get a little wonky - retaining some occluders from a deactivated layer. Cycling LOS off and back on at the map level worked to quickly reset. All in all, worked ok - but like already pointed out, wouldn’t have worked as well for PCs split across floors.

Thread Information