FG Spreadshirt Swag

Random Magic Item Tables module

I created this module for my own use when populating adventures, and figured I'd share it here in case anyone else might find it useful. It is intended to make it easy to generate a random magic item (though it also includes a table for mundane items).

The tables are almost all taken from the PFRD at https://legacy.aonprd.com/; some (like the spell lists) I created myself and some have been modified a bit. They don't include anything outside the core rules because that's all my group uses.

I've set them up so you just need to roll on (for example) "magic item minor"; there are links to the other tables so if the result is "ring" it will automatically roll on the "ring minor" table.

Potions, scrolls, and wands bear some explanation:
    Rather than using the tables as-is with spell level and caster level I split the results up by spell level and type (arcane/divine) so that I could link them to the appropriate spell table (the odds of each level of spell are nearly the same as the PFRD tables, just 50% arcane and 50% divine)
    I added an option with a 1% chance for the medium and major tables for a special effect; there is information in the table's "notes" tab about what I intended with this. Basically, a potion/scroll/wand that is created at a higher than minimum caster level or using metamagic feats (because who doesn't want a CL 10 maximized fireball wand?)

The wand table includes a roll to determine the number of charges left and provides the correct multiplier for value.

One issue with potions is that they use the same spell tables as scrolls and wands, so many will not be appropriate in potion form. I felt that I could live with this: either make it an oil if that works better, roll again, or choose one. Maybe someone even runs a campaign where potions can be thrown, so a Potion of Bane would work, or a Potion of Burning Hands becomes a breath weapon *shrug*

Spell tables:
    Don't conform to any of the dice types, so there won't be any dice animation when these tables are rolled against, but the randomization still works and produces an appropriate result.
    Include Value Mult, DC, and CL. This is because those statistics are related to the spell rather than the item in which it is stored. For value, multiply Value Mult by 50, 25, or 750 for potion, scroll, or wand respectively.
    Every spell is assumed to be Cleric, Druid, or Wizard if it exists on one of those lists. If it is available to both Cleric and Druid, I used the lower level spell (so Cure Moderate Wounds only appears on the level 2 list, even though for Druids it is level 3)
    The spells which are only available to Bard, Paladin, or Ranger are included with the correct Value Mult, DC, and CL.
    Some spells are included in both lists: Spider Climb is a level 2 spell for Wizard and Druid, so it appears in both the Arcane and Divine tables.
    I assumed the lowest level at which a spell is available because while the cost and time to create the item may be more if someone like a Sorcerer creates it, that does not affect it's actual value: two scrolls of Restoration found in a dungeon are worth 700 gp each even if one was created by a paladin and cost 150 gp more to scribe than the cleric version. Plus, the bookkeeping would be horrendous if I kept every possible permutation of every spell.

See attached image for the result of a single roll: /rollon magic item medium
    The rolls on the weapon medium and weapon ranged ability medium table were done automatically based on the table results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dogfisc; January 30th, 2021 at 18:50. Reason: fixed links to potion/scroll/wand tables

Thread Information